• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    A family member recently turned 21 and is interested in applying for an HQL. Whom in Central MD is the easiest place to get fingerprints scanned? I did it a bunch of years ago for myself at worth a Shot in Laurel. I can go there again if required but would like to find somewhere closer. Also, what's the easiest way to get the required training?

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    A family member recently turned 21 and is interested in applying for an HQL. Whom in Central MD is the easiest place to get fingerprints scanned? I did it a bunch of years ago for myself at worth a Shot in Laurel. I can go there again if required but would like to find somewhere closer. Also, what's the easiest way to get the required training?
    Frederick sheriff's office for the prints. Texas online hunter safety course for the class.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    UMBC Campus (Catonsville). Also Laurel police.

The "easiest" training is a matter of opinion. TX Hunter safety is IMO the least expensive choice. I have also seen some regulated lowers going for $40 on sale. Owning a regulated lower makes one training exempt.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The MSP website has a link to the listing of all LiveScan vendors in the state .

JohnC

May 29, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    I did maryland small arms training because it was the cheapest ($25) actual HQL training I could find. They have a fingerprint company on site ($65 standard). They give you everything you need to know about submitting an application on the MD state police portal. I got my license in about 12 days class to HQL in hand. Highly recommended

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville

Free State is a one stop shop for all things HQL, including fingerprinting.

Easiest place I know of to get it all done in one go.

roadking

Mar 11, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    Freestate was where I went for printing. Not super fast, but they are friendly. And they did it right. And cheap enough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    Geared Up in Westminster advertises themselves as a 1-Stop Shop for HQL prints and training. I have yet to visit them, but have heard nice things.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I knocked on the door of geared up twice. Both times the nice lady at the desk advised that the gun shop wasn't opened today.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Geared Up in Westminster advertises themselves as a 1-Stop Shop for HQL prints and training. I have yet to visit them, but have heard nice things.

Good to know. Not sure why DeWees stopped fingerprinting.

I knocked on the door of geared up twice. Both times the nice lady at the desk advised that the gun shop wasn't opened today.

Boo.

Scott's Gunsmithing

Industry Partner
    Mar 21, 2010
    Glen Burnie, MD
    For those on the west side of Baltimore, Typer Firearms is close to a one stop shop for your HQL. They do training and will help with your appilication if necessary....plus they are next door to a fingerprint service. On Target has nights when they can do training and fingerprints. Worth A Shot in Millersville is a one stop shop. Probably the cheapest option in central Maryland is Maryland Small Arms Range in Upper Marlboro.

Any Maryland recognized Hunter Safety program is sufficient to exempt you from training as is prior military service (need a DD214) as well as prior ownership of a handgun (make, model, serial number)

Beau (aka sxs)

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Good to know. Not sure why DeWees stopped fingerprinting.

Boo.

There used to be a volunteer doing the prints one day per week. I know they were looking for someone to take over doing the work some time back. I'll keep it in mind next time I attend a meeting.

Beefcube

Sammich King
    Mar 15, 2011
    Westminster

If it was Absolute, thats Katie.
    Geared Up is open .
    Wed-Friday 9-5
    Every other weekend Sat-Sunday 9-5
    Classes start earlier on weekends.
    If you call ahead they're easy to work with and are around alot after close and will work with you on a time to show up.

Beefcube

Sammich King
    Mar 15, 2011
    Westminster
    There used to be a volunteer doing the prints one day per week. I know they were looking for someone to take over doing the work some time back. I'll keep it in mind next time I attend a meeting.

Absolute is part of the building with Geared Up and you usually don't need an appointment.
    9-5.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    UMBC Campus (Catonsville). Also Laurel police.

The "easiest" training is a matter of opinion. TX Hunter safety is IMO the least expensive choice. I have also seen some regulated lowers going for $40 on sale. Owning a regulated lower makes one training exempt.

Exempt due to owning a regulated firearm requires a purchase prior to the date the law was enacted. How does one purchase a regulated lower without the HQL? Are you buying it unregulated as a rifle part then magically changing your mind and planning to convert it to a pistol configuration?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Exempt due to owning a regulated firearm requires a purchase prior to the date the law was enacted. How does one purchase a regulated lower without the HQL? Are you buying it unregulated as a rifle part then magically changing your mind and planning to convert it to a pistol configuration?

A stripped lower ar15 receiver is a regulated firearm but does not require an HQL. It goes on the 77r, but no HQL is required. There is a 7 day wait to pick up your non functional piece of metal, lol. Then its allowable as training exemption because you now own a regulated item.

I am not sure this is cheaper or quicker than the online TX hunter safety... but it's a route many take.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD

Somehow I overlooked the comment in red when I red through this thread previously.

Some regulated firearms are exempt from the HQL requirement. As mentioned, a stripped lower. You can also purchase a Curio & Relic type handgun which, while exempt from the HQL, is a regulated firearm and will exempt you from the training requirement.

FYI, there are reports that some firearms training businesses are denying that purchasing a receiver or C&R will exempt you from the training. Well, if you receive your handgun via a FFL 03 C&R license, that might be true. But I personally know 3 people who purchased C&R handguns via a MD 77R and later used that purchase to exempt themselves from training. Likewise, one local (not an IP) provider of training insists that Hunter Safety must have been completed within 3 years or it is not an exemption from training. I guess I can understand how this could be misunderstood as law states HQL training must have been completed within 3 years of HQL application (Sec 517.1.D.3). However, the Hunter Safety exemption is not under that section (517.1.E.2) So the 3 year window does NOT apply to Hunter Safety or as the law states, "... A COURSE OF INSTRUCTION IN COMPETENCY
    AND SAFETY IN THE HANDLING OF FIREARMS PRESCRIBED BY THE DEPARTMENT
    OF NATURAL RESOURCES UNDER § 10–301.1 OF THE NATURAL RESOURCES
    ARTICLE;".
    and, FYI, I have know people who took their Hunter Ed decades ago and MDSP is, in fact, accepting that training.

Point being, don't merely accept what a training facility tells you the law is. They do have a vested interest in selling training.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom