• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • marc0nline

Mar 24, 2019
    Southern Maryland
    Any thought on how illegal this is? I want one, but would like to stay out of prison. :party29:

https://www.dirtyjdesigns.com/products/plug-for-sb-tactical-sba3-brace?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google%20Shopping

IntenseStock1w_1024x1024.jpg

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    I think it depends on how you're using the item. If you are using the item on a pistol configuration I would say have fun in prison.

If you are using the item on a "firearm" you are probably fine because it's no longer classified as a restricted item under the NFA. My worry is the ATF would then classify the SBA3 as a stock if you modify it from its original configuration on a pistol therefore landing you in trouble if you do not have a tax stamp on the item.

This is by no means a legal option, do your own research but the ATF has stated not to modify pistol braces as that may change their classification if you add the product to an SBA3.

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    It's like they copied what I said right on their website... "Note: All NFA rules apply. This plug may constitute a re-design of the pistol brace. We recommend only installing on rifles with a barrel length 16" or above or on registered SBR's. We are in the process of confirming legality with the ATF for use on registered pistols."

I guess you can wait and see if they get an ATF determination letter if you intend to use it on a pistol but as I understand it even those have little weight these days... If you plan on installing it on a pistol I'd say forget about it!

marc0nline

Mar 24, 2019
    Southern Maryland
    I always err on the side of caution. If I could put a minimal stock on my AR pistol I would but since its illegal I have a brace. I don't think I would put a brace on a rifle since there are so many cool stocks out there. The fact they put that "Note" on there is a just a way for them to try to mitigate their liability.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    I always err on the side of caution. If I could put a minimal stock on my AR pistol I would but since its illegal I have a brace. I don't think I would put a brace on a rifle since there are so many cool stocks out there. The fact they put that "Note" on there is a just a way for them to try to mitigate their liability.

Exactly. This is the brace version of the "oil trap" adapter.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Yeah, I am going with definitely illegal unless it is going on a 16”+ barreled firearm with a pistol brace or a registered SBR. Though the later you are modifying the OAL that you registered it under with ATF. Not sure the legality of that, but IIRC temporary modifications are okay for a registered SBR.

Pistol it would absolutely be illegal based on past ATF guidance.

Some people like poking tigers and some of those same people just want to watch the world burn.

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    Doesn't that make the brace into a stock?
    Can you attach a 16" (or longer) AR upper to a pistol lower?

Right. So much BGOS in this thread. :sad20:

You can make a pistol into a rifle completely legally.
    This device is not illegal by itself.
    https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/can-i-lawfully-make-pistol-rifle-without-registering-firearm

How it's used determines if the firearm it's attached to is legal or illegal.
    (Or how you intend to use it mumble...mumble..."constructive possession" ********...mumble...mumble...)

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Right. So much BGOS in this thread. :sad20:

You can make a pistol into a rifle completely legally.
    This device is not illegal by itself.
    https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/can-i-lawfully-make-pistol-rifle-without-registering-firearm

How it's used determines if the firearm it's attached to is legal or illegal.
    (Or how you intend to use it mumble...mumble..."constructive possession" ********...mumble...mumble...)

Of course it’s not. But easy enough to fail constructive possession. You can mumble about it, but it happens.

Also you know dang well tons of people who’d buy it would end up using it inappropriately (in the eyes of the ATF).

I can probably fit the number of guys who need to turn a brace in to a stock who also happen to have a 16”+ upper laying around (I said need, if you don’t need this silly thing, I can’t see many getting it) and don’t also happen to have multiple rifle configured lowers or multiple rifles already.

Which makes the thing about as useful as **** on a boar. Unless you are reconfiguring your pistol AR in to an SBR (or I am sure would be in the eyes of the ATF).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom