• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Wait another sec . The NSSA ( the Skeet Shooters, not the Civil War reenactors ) is trying to undercut FITASC ? FITASC Invented Sporting Clays decades before anyone in US even heard of it .

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    I like the longer sighting plane for trap, hence I shoot a 34" unsingle for that. I shoot quick, right out of the house and hold high, so little gun movement.
    I like the lighter weight gun for skeet, so I shoot a 32" 20g for that.
    I shoot kinda sustained lead for skeet. Generally, that is spot on for station 1, 7 and 8, 2ft. for 2 and 6, 3 ft. for 3 and 5, and 4 ft. for 4. Works for me.
    I shoot a 32" 12g for SC.
    All three balance at the hinge with pad adjusters, adjustable combs, and variable length (I shorten the LOP in the winter with thick clothing, t-shirts in the summer).
    Other than length, all other settings don't change since I got the guns dialed in for me.

Sold all my other guns and stick to those three. Took a while to get to what I liked, but I am there so no new guns in my future (probably ever). No gun envy. How boring is that.

ps: My Trap gun shoots about a 70/30 POI, while my SC gun and Skeet gun shoot 50/50.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Is that the current rule book?

I just pulled this off of page 44 from the NSCA website.

. Shotgun Mount & Position—The shooter may start with a low gun or a pre-mounted gun when calling for the target.

http://nssa-nsca.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/2019-Rule-Book-ONLINE-Version.pdf

Your citation was for FITASC. The gun has to be unmounted for FITASC. Also max of 1 ounce loads.

Yes, I was in the FITASC section.

This is a change, as when I was shooting a lot, NSCA rules required low gun.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Wait another sec . The NSSA ( the Skeet Shooters, not the Civil War reenactors ) is trying to undercut FITASC ? FITASC Invented Sporting Clays decades before anyone in US even heard of it .

No, National Sporting Clays Association is doing FITASC.

But NSCA is part of NSSA, so in a way you are right. :)

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I imagine the top shooters are also sponsored. You think the manufacturers have any say in what they are to shoot?

Back in the 80's, some cyclists that were sponsored by certain manufacturers, like Greg Lemond being sponsored by Huffy, would just put the sponsor's stickers on better equipment. Lemond road a Look frame with Huffy stickers on it. Same goes for some wheels that the pros were using. Pretty comical.

I watched a program several years ago about one of the top sporting clays shooters and he used several different techniques based upon how the target was presented. Sustained lead on the further targets, swing through on the closer ones.

What are all the different techniques:

Swing Through
    Sustained Lead
    Pull Away
    Spot Shoot

I know I am missing some. What are they? Once upon a time, I knew them all even though I did not use them all. Cannot ever remember spot shooting unless I was so screwed up I was just pulling the trigger and praying the bird and the shot met up at some point.

This is not new as it happens in the action shooting sports also. Max Michel doesn't really shoot a Sig 1911. He shoots a single stack STI lower and guts with a slide cut and machined to be an exact copy of the Sig 1911 slide. Probably even came out of the Sig Sauer Custom Shop.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    You can absolutely shoot pre mounted in sporting. I shoot NSCA tournaments all over the mid atlantic and see it all over the place. Use it myself on trap style presentations. FITASC you absolutely cannot.

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    Look at this list of Kolar sponsored shooters and their guns. These people are some of the best in the country in their respective disciplines. Of particular interest is the fact that 5 of the 6 Sporting shooters are shooting 32” barrels. And 9 of the 10 Skeet shooters are shooting 30” guns.

http://kolararms.com/team-kolar

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    This is not new as it happens in the action shooting sports also. Max Michel doesn't really shoot a Sig 1911. He shoots a single stack STI lower and guts with a slide cut and machined to be an exact copy of the Sig 1911 slide. Probably even came out of the Sig Sauer Custom Shop.

Who was the "Colt" shooter in the 90s who shot a double stack? Jerry something.

And I remember talking to someone involved in NASCAR year ago, that no matter what oil sponsored them, EVERY team ran Mobil 1. :D

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    You can absolutely shoot pre mounted in sporting. I shoot NSCA tournaments all over the mid atlantic and see it all over the place. Use it myself on trap style presentations. FITASC you absolutely cannot.

I know someone who shot the 2018 NE Regionals about 90% pre-mounted. That individual went on win A class with a 171, defeating 60 other competitors in his class. This particular shooter won 1st place back to class, took an additional $120 in high gun in class option making for a ~$1,400 dollar weekend.

Anything from quartering inward should ABSOLUTELY be called for while pre-mounted. The less gun movement the better when a target is doing nothing but getting further away from you.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    I know someone who shot the 2018 NE Regionals about 90% pre-mounted. That individual went on win A class with a 171, defeating 60 other competitors in his class. This particular shooter won 1st place back to class, took an additional $120 in high gun in class option making for a ~$1,400 dollar weekend.

Anything from quartering inward should ABSOLUTELY be called for while pre-mounted. The less gun movement the better when a target is doing nothing but getting further away from you.

I sense the force is strong in you Jedi.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    The physics hasn’t changed but the style of shooting has. The top shots aren’t shooting swing through like they did back then. They’re shooting sustained lead. Using a sustained lead method the speed of the swing is a lot slower. The longer barrels lend themselves to this style of shooting. Show me someone that is winning a top shoot in any discipline (including the International varieties) with a pump gun or a side by side or a 26” barrel. Ken Barnes shot the first 400 straight in Skeet with 4 pump guns in 1968. Would anyone recommend a shooter try to win a top shoot with 4 pump guns nowadays? Of course not. Imagine a golfer trying to win a tournament with clubs from the 60’s and 70’s. He wouldn’t have a chance in hell. If you’re wanting to do get to the top of the podium in the shotgun sports you can either piggy back on what the top shots are using or you can disregard all of their vast knowledge and expertise and chart your own path to the top by shooting a 26” side by side. If you are just going to shoot some clays a couple times a year or month at your local club it doesn’t really matter what you shoot. Just be forewarned that when it comes time to sell the gun in the configuration that no one wants it’s going to be harder to find a buyer.

Hmmm, interesting. When I was shooting a lot of trap back in the 80's, I thought that most of the top shots were using sustained lead. Was this something that changed and now has come full circle?
    FYI, I have always been a swing through person as I feel it works better for me in actual field conditions. So I just carried it over to ATA Trap. Back then, I shot singles using a 34" BT 99, but did all my hunting with various field guns 26 - 28". Short and light works well on quick acquisition and snap shooting in the field. However, I did acquire a Guerini a few years back. It is a Magnus Light with 30" barrels. The suckiest thing about switching from my BT to field guns is that I had to definitely float the bird over the BT 99 front sight whereas I had to nearly blot the target in the field.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I'm a little mix of sustained and applied lead. If you're "behind" the target at any point you are probably in trouble.

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    Hmmm, interesting. When I was shooting a lot of trap back in the 80's, I thought that most of the top shots were using sustained lead. Was this something that changed and now has come full circle?
    FYI, I have always been a swing through person as I feel it works better for me in actual field conditions. So I just carried it over to ATA Trap. Back then, I shot singles using a 34" BT 99, but did all my hunting with various field guns 26 - 28". Short and light works well on quick acquisition and snap shooting in the field. However, I did acquire a Guerini a few years back. It is a Magnus Light with 30" barrels. The suckiest thing about switching from my BT to field guns is that I had to definitely float the bird over the BT 99 front sight whereas I had to nearly blot the target in the field.

Most top shots are shooting sustained lead in all the disciplines nowadays. That wasn’t always the case. I didn’t shoot a lot of trap in the 80’s so I don’t know what the top shots at the time were shooting. But in Skeet some of the old timers were still shooting swing through, but they weren’t winning. The Skeet game now is being able to shoot doubles (at stations 3, 4, 5) to win a shoot-off. That’s where sustained lead REALLY helps. It’s crazy how consistent these guys can be shooting doubles at stations 3,4, and 5. I saw 2 of the greatest go 7 boxes (175 shots) of doubles to determine a winner. They only shot 4 boxes of singles to get to the shoot off. If anyone thinks Skeet is too easy we can shoot some doubles or .410 and see how easy that is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom