Anyone experienced with oddball calibers?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I've started reloading for 50 action Express. I picked up some 350 grain Berry's bullets for a good price, and I'm trying to work up a load for them. I've used 24 grains of h110 as a starting load, with 28 grains of h110 is my final load. Both loads cycled fine. The final load showed no signs of overpressure, and at 10 yards, was very accurate. As my final load was essentially an educated guess, should I continue to try to work up .1 grains at a time? Desert Eagles have a reputation of liking heavier loads. Factory loads have a lot more felt recoil. I haven't run my loads through a chronograph yet, but I suspect they are very slow.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    How many rounds did you run through the pistol? Make sure that it's reliable before saying that's the one. If you like it and it works, I personally see no reason to work up another load. But that's up to you. Only you know what you want from that pistol and ammo.

Good Luck!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I found some user reported data from a Desert Eagle .

28.5gr H110 for 1188fps .

Reported by 0.5gr intervals up to 31.0gr for 1306fps . Fairly linear with velocity, with just slightly large increase per grain between 30.5 and 31.0gr .

350Gr @ 1188 fps giving approx 1100 ft lb ( or an L Factor number of 110, for an obscure , but useful reference ). 31.0gr gives just over 1300 ft lb .

Extrapolated vels for your 28.0 should be aprox 1160fps .

What goal do you Want ?

Yes, a bit below typical .50AE factory loads. But 1050ft lb is not a "weak" loading in any absolute sense. Bullwinkle would not be able to tell the difference between a 350gr jacketed bullet at 1250fps and one at 1150fps .

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Without a chrono, it's hard to verify data or extrapolate pressure, but going by published data, you should be fine working up to 30gr. Depending on what you are doing with it, a good accurate load with moderate recoil is usually where I stop. I load plated bullets in a few fast calibers, H110 tends to be forgiving, but they usually get faster and groups shrink up to a fairly small window of "perfect", then the groups blow out, probably from plating damage or deformation.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Thanks for the info, everyone. Very helpful. I guess I just wanted to optimize the load to its full potential while maintaining accuracy. I'll chrono some this weekend to see what I'm getting.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    After a certain calibre, "Optimize" means to make more suitable for your needs/ preferences, not necessarily " full potential" . And full potential itself in that calibre is itself is subjective upon what critters are persued, and your druthers on the Sectional Density friendly debate.

Wheaton Hills Sportsman

Jan 27, 2012
    When I reload something with a small amount of published data I call whoever's bullets I am using and ask them. Of course this works better with Sierra and Hornady. I don't know if Berry's does the same thing, but they might, and Sierra generally will give reloading advice of all kinds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom