• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    No stripped lower in MD is cash and carry.

No HQL is required for a stripped lower because it's not a handgun. It's defined as a firearm.

But after you purchase it, you can use that to exempt yourself from the HQL training requirement.

ELEMENT94

Wild eyed pistol waver.
    Sep 23, 2007
    "stripped lower" is not specific enough. Some stripped lowers are 77r but no HQL, others require an HQL, and still others are cash and carry. I'd really have to see the actual thing.

But if its true the FFL is going to re-do this as 77r, the least you can do is get them a case of Vaseline and Preperation H. This cant be the only one, and this is going to hurt.

What lowers are C and C??

ELEMENT94

Wild eyed pistol waver.
    Sep 23, 2007

No HQL is required for a stripped lower because it's not a handgun. It's defined as a firearm.

But after you purchase it, you can use that to exempt yourself from the HQL training requirement.

Tell me more.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Because one of the HQL training exemptions is

Owns a regulated firearm.

A stripped lower is a regulated firearm according to MSP. You can use the serial number of the lower when requesting the training exemption.

MD Statute 5-117.1

Attachments

• HQL.jpg
      HQL.jpg
      41.5 KB · Views: 273

ELEMENT94

Wild eyed pistol waver.
    Sep 23, 2007
    Because one of the HQL training exemptions is

Owns a regulated firearm.

A stripped lower is a regulated firearm according to MSP. You can use the serial number of the lower when requesting the training exemption.

MD Statute 5-117.1

I will be damned.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    For the record a stripped and or complete lower are both "others". They are NOT regulated firearms per COMAR (MD) or Federal law. MSP guidance (which is NON legally binding as they CANNOT MAKE the rules they can only ENFORCE them informs dealers to TREAT them as regulated rifles.

If a buyer who is over 21 years old and not otherwise prohibited wished to purchase a complete and or stripped lower AND the FFL agreed to complete the purchase on a 4473 ONLY and called MSP to witness the sacred union MSP could legally do nothing but huff and puff.

Now, you may be asking yourself, why Mopar does no one sell stripped lowers as cash and carry? Its very simple. MSP has answered all inquiries with threats of arrest, revocation of regulated dealers licenses and the simple answer that we just won't cash your checks when you pay us for your dealer license preventing you from selling regulated firearms. Now you won't find that in dealer guidance or official emails its all over the phone or in person.

TL;DR
    OP's friend or OP broke no laws.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013

That is pretty slick if one needs training for a HQL. I've seen stripped lowers cheaper than some HQL training classes.

gunismyfriend

Apr 24, 2017
    That is pretty slick if one needs training for a HQL. I've seen stripped lowers cheaper than some HQL training classes.

The lowest cost of HQL-qualifying course is $17.xx for the online Hunting Safety course, and the free-but-required 4-hour field day.
    At least that what the instructors at my field day told me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom