First AR build: 20in Barrel w/ FSB? (and other parts related questions)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Hi John! Sure thing! Here's a link to the spreadsheet I've been keeping:

https://goo.gl/mYHqTy

feel free to make comments on the sheet, its setup to do that (that goes for anyone).

Keep in mind, I think much of this will change based on the feedback I've gotten here (and other research) -so you'll see me making updates. I should probably start including URLs for the parts as well.

-Jerry

May I suggest a toolcraft BCG. They are cheaper and one of the best available at the moment.

JC82

USMC
    Nov 30, 2014
    Elkton
    https://www.righttobear.com/Toolcraft-Phosphate-158-Bolt-Carrier-Group-MPI-B-p/tooauto-011.htm

Little better price on the BCG they ship very quick.
    With your build vs buy option you need to consider the differences between the 2 in parts. Its not like they are an apple to apple comparison.

Thanks!

In comparing the complete receivers, I think the other parts chosen are a little better or at least similar in quality...but I'm not really sure.

There's also not any shipping costs factored in (yet). When sourcing form a bunch of different places it likely that cost could get pretty high.

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    Just wanted to say that I have bought several barrels from JSESurplus. The AR's I assembled are meant for defense, and fun shooting. Nothing fancy, accurate to 100 yards is good for me. That said, the barrels from JSE have been just what I was looking for. They all have been built by Wilson Arms, 1 in 7 twist rate. Fit and function is perfect for me, including the great price.

JC82

USMC
    Nov 30, 2014
    Elkton
    Not sure how I missed that bargain.

In case you were interested, another member is selling their RRA Complete 20" HBAR upper https://www.mdshooters.com/vbclassified.php?do=ad&id=33689
    Thank you. I've got to check-out the marketplace here more often. If I wasn't building-for-the-sake-of-building, I would be very interested.

Just wanted to say that I have bought several barrels from JSESurplus. The AR's I assembled are meant for defense, and fun shooting. Nothing fancy, accurate to 100 yards is good for me. That said, the barrels from JSE have been just what I was looking for. They all have been built by Wilson Arms, 1 in 7 twist rate. Fit and function is perfect for me, including the great price.
    Thank you! I will seriously consider JSE for future parts/builds.

JC82

USMC
    Nov 30, 2014
    Elkton
    I pulled the trigger on the RRA barrel. The 20% deal made it very enticing. At the same time I picked up their standard A2 stock, carrying handle, and lower parts kit -all at 20% off. At least, I really hope it's 20% off... the "you won't see the discount until it ships and we charge you" policy has me sweating a little. I did call them to confirm.

-Jerry

JC82

USMC
    Nov 30, 2014
    Elkton
    May I suggest a toolcraft BCG. They are cheaper and one of the best available at the moment.
    Anyway to tell if this is actually a Toolcraft? I'm not sure how I expected it to be packaged but it just came in an envelope, wrapped loosely with thin foam.
    f244c484c93db8522d4ccf8601b3b422.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

JC82

USMC
    Nov 30, 2014
    Elkton
    Anyway to tell if this is actually a Toolcraft? I'm not sure how I expected it to be packaged but it just came in an envelope, wrapped loosely with thin foam.
    f244c484c93db8522d4ccf8601b3b422.jpg

I realize this comes off as paranoid. I have no reason to be suspicious, the BCG looks fine (as far as I can tell). I'm really just curious if there's any way to tell. I'm guessing there probably isn't.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I realize this comes off as paranoid. I have no reason to be suspicious, the BCG looks fine (as far as I can tell). I'm really just curious if there's any way to tell. I'm guessing there probably isn't.

Is the bolt itself laser engrave HPT MPI tested. That will at least tell you the bolt is good. Also look to see if the bolt carrier is chrome lined in the 'piston' area and the tip of the gas key. That won't necessarily be as obvious as the one in the pic, but you get the idea.

Attachments

• daniel-defense-m16-556-bcg-milspec.jpg
      daniel-defense-m16-556-bcg-milspec.jpg
      31 KB · Views: 130
    • bcm-bolt-carrier-group-bcm-bcg-by-bravo-company-mfg-3eb.jpg
      bcm-bolt-carrier-group-bcm-bcg-by-bravo-company-mfg-3eb.jpg
      19.9 KB · Views: 133

JC82

USMC
    Nov 30, 2014
    Elkton
    Is the bolt itself laser engrave HPT MPI tested. That will at least tell you the bolt is good. Also look to see if the bolt carrier is chrome lined in the 'piston' area and the tip of the gas key. That won't necessarily be as obvious as the one in the pic, but you get the idea.
    Thank you.

MPI is there. No chrome lining that I can tell. Finish in the piston area matches the rest of the BCG.

Plenty of oil...and a few small hairs (cat?).
    b0753d6d3eebb5ac51ee25fe9722c205.jpg

JC82

USMC
    Nov 30, 2014
    Elkton
    Ah crap. So I thought I found the same BCG with another retailer (e-arms) that was slightly cheaper after the free shipping. I didn't read close enough... I learned a lesson.

What I ordered was nitride BCG w/o the chrome lining... and extra cat hair.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    The nitriding is less desirable to me, but some people like it. I prefer chrome lined carriers and gas keys. Can't have that with nitride.

I guess toolcraft is doing it to cut cost and be more competitive.

I honestly wasn't aware toolcraft made nitride stuff under their own brand. I see lots of gauging issues with nitride stuff.

Learn something every day.

If you don't want nitride, return it. If you like it, keep it.

I'll gauge it out for you for free since I suggested it. If it has a problem I'll fix it.

JC82

USMC
    Nov 30, 2014
    Elkton
    The nitriding is less desirable to me, but some people like it. I prefer chrome lined carriers and gas keys. Can't have that with nitride.

I guess toolcraft is doing it to cut cost and be more competitive.

I honestly wasn't aware toolcraft made nitride stuff under their own brand. I see lots of gauging issues with nitride stuff.

Learn something every day.

If you don't want nitride, return it. If you like it, keep it.

I'll gauge it out for you for free since I suggested it. If it has a problem I'll fix it.
    I just ordered the phosphate w/ chrome lining, but I'm going to keep this one. If I'm going to get into ARs I suppose it can't hurt to have an extra BCG laying around. It'll be good to experiment with. Thanks for the offer, and for all the help you've given!

Truthlesshero81

Sep 30, 2011
    Hi.

BLUF:
    I'm looking for recommendations on a 20" barrel with a pinned fsb. Fairly accurate, with good durability. If I'm honest, I'm not well versed on barrel twist but my general understanding is that 1:9 is a good general purpose rate.

BACKGROUND:
    I'm having difficulty finding a 20" heavy profile Barrell with a pinned fsb. I did find one at Del-Ton, but the more I read about Del-Ton the more I worry about their quality. Other companies make them w/o offering pinned fsb as an option. Drilling the barrel for an fsb is about the only part of the build I don't think I'd be able to do myself.

Why 20"?:
    Admittedly this is mostly nostalgia. My next build will likely be a 16".

MORE:
    I'm in the early planning stages of my first build. Actually the first AR I'll actually own as a civilian (not that I ever "owned" anything while in service). My current parts list started as a "budget build" (including the Del-Ton barrel) and totalled just under $602, but I'm starting to realize that I'm going to have to get a bit pricier for a build I'll be happy with. I can post a the current parts list if anyone is interested.

Thanks!

I just ordered and received a barrel from here:

https://www.warmachinellc.com

With the warblock mounted on it. If your interested I’ll post a pic tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom