• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Everyone should see episode 2. They follow drug dealers and anti-drug LEO. They cover Baltimore City and Harford County. They dealers do an excellent job of articulating what is wrong with Baltimore and indirectly show why gun control doesn't work.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Thanks doc.
    Well worth watching.
    Incredibly sad though.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Thanks doc.
    Well worth watching.
    Incredibly sad though.

I thought it was excellent, and very sad as well. It illustrates that the drug problem is rooted in despair and an incredible lack of opportunity. The dealer had excellent insight into the issues, IMO.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Thanks for the tip. I've tried some of the documentary type stuff on netflix and wasn't as impressed as I am with their fiction series. I'll give this one a try.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I thought it was excellent, and very sad as well. It illustrates that the drug problem is rooted in despair and an incredible lack of opportunity. The dealer had excellent insight into the issues, IMO.
    I also enjoyed it, but suspect that dealer is adept at playing people and was doing it to the documentarian. He hints that he's basically a sociopath and will manipulate folks to make them addicts (and then acts that he regrets it). I was actually going to make my older boy watch that episode tonight.

Any idea what happened to episode 1? Don't see it in the queue. Have skipped to episode 4 in Chicago where the dealers are a similar type of lying scum, and know to play the liberal pity words about a lack of a proper education and lack of access to jobs being responsible for the state of the drug culture in their neighborhoods. There's also a stronger anti-gun vibe in the Chicago episode.

Btw, a bit different and mostly one-sided in its presentation, but Baltimore Rising on HBO had some strong characters that made it interesting to watch. They gloss over the failure of Baltimore politicians (instead trying to ascribe it to police/community interactions - not admitting the degree of control politicians exert on PDs), the Baltimore drug problem, and the 1968 riots when focusing on the economic despair in the community.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Watching this series now. Well done. Didn’t know Harford Co was working in the city like that.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I saw the thread title and thought maybe Michael Moore had another special.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up. Looks super interesting.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Me: lemme check out this show the good doctor was posting about....

**turns on dope documentary**

drug dealer lewis: (within the first 3 minutes) "It seems like since the freddie gray riots...that was one of the best things that could ever happen for the dope game. They makin' laws like everyday that's in our favor man. There's no more plain-clothes police officers in the state of md anymore. I love that law."

me: welp.... I'm gunna need a drink for this **pours glass of woodford reserve**

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    I also enjoyed it, but suspect that dealer is adept at playing people and was doing it to the documentarian. He hints that he's basically a sociopath and will manipulate folks to make them addicts (and then acts that he regrets it). I was actually going to make my older boy watch that episode tonight.

Any idea what happened to episode 1? Don't see it in the queue. Have skipped to episode 4 in Chicago where the dealers are a similar type of lying scum, and know to play the liberal pity words about a lack of a proper education and lack of access to jobs being responsible for the state of the drug culture in their neighborhoods. There's also a stronger anti-gun vibe in the Chicago episode.

Btw, a bit different and mostly one-sided in its presentation, but Baltimore Rising on HBO had some strong characters that made it interesting to watch. They gloss over the failure of Baltimore politicians (instead trying to ascribe it to police/community interactions - not admitting the degree of control politicians exert on PDs), the Baltimore drug problem, and the 1968 riots when focusing on the economic despair in the community.

Some sociopath, some attention whore in that dealer for sure, quite the ghetto cocktail but not that remarkable for those who know this world. Surprised he signed off on his car as well as his body and part of his face being shown while committing felonies, unless that was brown sugar he was cutting and packaging.

It's all very sad and sparked a debate with my wife over the causes of opiod addiction as I still believe that when people begin abusing prescription medication they are making a personal choice albeit a misinformed or misguided one that may have unintended consequences. Many of these people need families who care more and try to intervene which they are often lacking.

Only part that bothered me was some of the editing using different locales intermixed (Moravia Park Drive sign interspersed while they were clearly in Brooklyn Park), maybe that just stands out because I know the areas well, I told my wife I gas up regularly at the BP right by the 895 junction they made the car stop at, just not that day :lol:

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    All of that was impressive.

The Chicago episode talks about the illegal gun trade. The dealer (named G-Money by the producers) has a “source” in Indiana. The narrator goes on to say that ‘gun laws are less strict’ there and it’s their loose laws that lead to guns ending up in Chicago.

Note the prices the guy says each gun is worth. They’re not terribly off retail. No way a guy is skimming stores or private sales, buying all those guns at half price and selling them to G-Money at little to no profit. Then add the Thompson and supposed fully-auto suppressed Mac at the end.

Those guns are being stolen by G’s suppliers. Laws aren’t going to change that. Smash and grabs at gun stores isn’t as sexy a projection as someone just being able to buy whatever they want...

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    ... No way a guy is skimming stores or private sales, buying all those guns at half price and selling them to G-Money at little to no profit. ...

Those guns are being stolen by G’s suppliers. Laws aren’t going to change that. Smash and grabs at gun stores isn’t as sexy a projection as someone just being able to buy whatever they want...

I think it's another instance of the con selling the documentarian a story that he/she wants to hear to reinforce a pre-existing narrative. What you've written is probably closer to reality or G's working with a shady FFL or pawn shop directly that moves stolen items. While there is a straw buyer, it's someone easily replaced and is misdirection by G.

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    Me: lemme check out this show the good doctor was posting about....

**turns on dope documentary**

drug dealer lewis: (within the first 3 minutes) "It seems like since the freddie gray riots...that was one of the best things that could ever happen for the dope game. They makin' laws like everyday that's in our favor man. There's no more plain-clothes police officers in the state of md anymore. I love that law."

me: welp.... I'm gunna need a drink for this **pours glass of woodford reserve**

I heard that too. Not that I expect a drug dealer to be perfectly clear on laws, but that's simply not true. What it does show is that they can be well aware of things that affect them as well as law abiding citizens.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    the Chicago gun dealer is an idiot but not really off on his prices. A) His Mac was not suppressed it was a newer masterpiece arms with the barrel extension. B) I'd bet my left nut it wasn't full auto.

Also one thing that irritates me about these things is all these dealers portray themselves as hard, and making a ton of money. The Baltimore Kingpin was driving a beat up buick. His Lt (as he called him) was driving a nicer vehicle but with EVERY light on the dash. You'll find that a lot of these gents do have nicer newer looking cars but they are all salvage titles. I think the junkies are the real honest ones in these docs. The junkies have nothing to lose/gain because they don't care. I couldn't imagine living a life where I kiss my G/F goodbye and tell her to be safe only to have her 35 mins later come home with a John and do the deed for some cash.

you have to take these docs with a grain of salt as far as the dealers/robbers are concerned.

All of them claimed to be making bank but none of them actually had a nice residence. The simple fact is why they were probably making a decent amount, coupled with no taxes, non of these folks were making more than 50-60k a year and none of them had the financial responsibility or judgment to ever do anything else.

My favorite part of these things is how the attempt to portray these dealers as initially just trying to get by........"gotta put food on the table" but in reality they are wearing $200 Timberland boots. You could have bought $50 Under Armor shoes (Like I do, that still look nice) and used that 150 to buy a but load of groceries at ANY Aldi.

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    While watching this show I heard a loud crash in the next room of my hone. It was my property value falling through the roof. Thanks Netflix

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    While watching this show I heard a loud crash in the next room of my hone. It was my property value falling through the roof. Thanks Netflix

lol I was talking about this show with my partner and just read him your comment. He was dying! I got 15k more photos to go through so the break and laugh was appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom