• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Watched Skyfall the other night. The new (young kid) Q gave Bond his new PPK while at the art museum in the wooden presentation case. It wasn’t a .380, it was a “9mm short” as he called it, or .32 ACP. Never heard it called 9mm short before. Wondering why they didn’t go .380 as before, better round?

This is the pistol that had the biometric sensor that allowed only JB to fire it, which of course came in handy in the Komodo Dragon pit in Thailand.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I know its bond and a PPK is part of the sex appeal, sleek, compact, great lines, its bond who needs more than 7 or 8 shots. Tend to lean towards Euro models.

60s - Id probably say a PPK was a good choice but I got to say why not go brit. Part of me would have loved to have seen Bond slinging a Webley Mark V or a Webley Fosbery Auto with a shortened barrel around. But for concealed, sleek practicality my vote goes to the Webley SLP in classing .455 auto.

Today........CZ75 PCR. Sleek, ergonomic, ultra reliable, accurate.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Watched Skyfall the other night. The new (young kid) Q gave Bond his new PPK while at the art museum in the wooden presentation case. It wasn’t a .380, it was a “9mm short” as he called it, or .32 ACP. Never heard it called 9mm short before. Wondering why they didn’t go .380 as before, better round?

This is the pistol that had the biometric sensor that allowed only JB to fire it, which of course came in handy in the Komodo Dragon pit in Thailand.

9mm Kurz. 'Kurz' is German for 'Short' but here in the USA, we call it .380 ACP.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Used to be known in US as 9mmShort . Informally, but semi-common .

But ... Bond is about classy, and not the latest fad . Yes , the movie Bond will use various things for specific active missions ( going back to the Ian Fleming Bond having a Colt New Service .45 as a car gun under the dash ).

Movie Bond has used Walthers . The early Daniel Craig used a P99, and this would be a good choice for the foreseeable future . I thought the Craig switch back to PPK was a step backwards on multiple levels .

The post- Fleming book Bond's ASP was both very fitting , and way cool from a gun perspective . But it has been enough decades since the ASP's brief ( yet highly influential) heyday , it would be difficult to fit into a current day storyline .

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville

Man, it's been decades since I thought about the ASP! I was a young man, just starting out with a firearm love affair when the ASP hit the pages of magazines. Indeed, way ahead of its time. Being a poor lad I could only afford a second hand S&W 59 and later a 439. By the time I was out of college and could afford one they were gone, quickly rocketing to collector status. Looking back I like that he stole the idea of the magazine counter grips from Luger.

Attachments

• asp_advertisement.jpg
      asp_advertisement.jpg
      49.2 KB · Views: 98
    • 9753395_1.jpg
      9753395_1.jpg
      47.4 KB · Views: 98

MigraineMan

Ultimate Member
    Jun 9, 2011
    Frederick County
    And by "interesting" I mean "bat-crap crazy wrong" :-)

Now I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire seven shots or only six? or did he have one in the pipe and started with eight?" Well to tell you the truth in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself. But being this is an ASP 9mm, the second-most powerful handgun in the world behind the .44 Magnum, and would blow your ear clean off or give you a really ragged exit-wound if I shot you in the leg, you've gotta ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?

Attachments

• dirty-harry_01_asp-9mm.jpg
      dirty-harry_01_asp-9mm.jpg
      45.4 KB · Views: 82

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    In the James Bond novel "Icebreaker", Bond had a Ruger Redhawk in a concealed compartment in his Saab 900 Turbo.....
    Great gun, but WHY is James Bond driving a Saab 900 Turbo? Is he undercover as a 1987 preppy collegian at Dartmouth, wearing a Benetton sweater with his pink oxford collar popped beneath? Were there no Yugos available, or Pontiac Fieros? Maybe a Volvo station wagon? There’s a disconnect there somewhere.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Great gun, but WHY is James Bond driving a Saab 900 Turbo? Is he undercover as a 1987 preppy collegian at Dartmouth, wearing a Benetton sweater with his pink oxford collar popped beneath? Were there no Yugos available, or Pontiac Fieros? Maybe a Volvo station wagon? There’s a disconnect there somewhere.

Now, now....I resemble that remark. :)

(Ask anyone here.)

Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville
    cant speak for Bond being a Brit and all but if I was M and arming Matt Helm....I think a Detonics with a Seecamp as a back up makes sense. Conceal-ability as a premium + power

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    cant speak for Bond being a Brit and all but if I was M and arming Matt Helm....I think a Detonics with a Seecamp as a back up makes sense. Conceal-ability as a premium + power

Poor Matt always hated those alloy hand-cannons he was issued. My Colt Woodsman Sport was purchased in his honor. First series, of course.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I went with PCR cuz it's a Euro gun basically but I also think a Colt mustang would be fitting

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom