• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -Found a stupid rare Enfield No1 MKVI in a tiny TN auction over the Christmas vacation but it had so many red flags that I just had to reluctantly take a pass. But there were lots of neat accessories, including plenty of nice US 1907 slings from WWI and WWII.
    -So I picked out a pre-war RIA example that tickled my fancy and got it for less than $45. Showed up today and it appears to be a mash up of two slings dated 1905 and 1907. Definitely original, no repop. My best guess is that the section dated 1907 is a Model 1907. The 1905 section could be from a much rarer Model 1905 sling. This was the early Springfield 1903 sling that grew from the Krag sling. Spit-balling here, more research necessary.
    -Also snagged a cool mid 30s Marlin No1 4x scope in the original box with paper work. Optics are brilliant and I bought it with the idea of putting it on the early Winnie 52 that I'm hunting down (yes, cart before the horse but sometimes that's how you have to roll). At under $150, couldn't pass it up. Instructions show that it sold for under $10 during the Great Depression. Even came with a drill, bottom tap and screws! Very much like an A5. Don't know who made this for Marlin, think some sleuthing is in order. Just itching to learn more about it.

Attachments

• IMGP8481.JPG
      IMGP8481.JPG
      66.7 KB · Views: 320
    • IMGP8482.JPG
      IMGP8482.JPG
      76 KB · Views: 315
    • IMGP8483.JPG
      IMGP8483.JPG
      16.9 KB · Views: 312
    • IMGP8484.JPG
      IMGP8484.JPG
      37.4 KB · Views: 313
    • IMGP8485.JPG
      IMGP8485.JPG
      45 KB · Views: 315
    • IMGP8486.JPG
      IMGP8486.JPG
      54.4 KB · Views: 316
    • IMGP8489.JPG
      IMGP8489.JPG
      44.4 KB · Views: 311
    • IMGP8487.JPG
      IMGP8487.JPG
      34.9 KB · Views: 314
    • IMGP8488.JPG
      IMGP8488.JPG
      43.8 KB · Views: 312

trailtoy

GOA, MSI, NRA
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2013
    St. Marys
    I have always loved the external adjustment scopes. Never had one but always wanted one. I'm kicking myself now because recently there was a Model 52 at the tackle box with an aftermarket bull barrel and one of them looong scopes. Gone when I went back to check on it.

Jul 1, 2012
    I have always loved the external adjustment scopes. Never had one but always wanted one. I'm kicking myself now because recently there was a Model 52 at the tackle box with an aftermarket bull barrel and one of them looong scopes. Gone when I went back to check on it.

darn, I missed that :)
    I need to drop by more often I guess.
    But reinforces out the rule "the time to buy something cool is when you see it"

Mawkie, that scope really is a nice grab... been half-heartedly looking for an A5 for one of the 52's but nowadays they are 2-3 times what I paid for the rifles (both pre-A's).

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    darn, I missed that :)
    I need to drop by more often I guess.
    But reinforces out the rule "the time to buy something cool is when you see it"

Mawkie, that scope really is a nice grab... been half-heartedly looking for an A5 for one of the 52's but nowadays they are 2-3 times what I paid for the rifles (both pre-A's).

Still on the hunt for a nice pre-A. Appreciate the sage advice you gave me concerning the safety issues. Will pay off some day. And now I have the scope to put on it!
    Agree about the A5. Got too late to that party too!

lowoncash

Baned
    Jan 4, 2010
    Calvert county

I'm pretty sure that was a model 75. Looks to me that it had been messed with. It did have a replacement aftermarket bull barrel as you said, the stock was probably shortened, the magazine release was missing among other things. It had a really nice scope and a single shot adapter that may not have been original.

I got a nice all original 75 target model from there some time back.

Nice finds at the auction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom