Ithaca Model 37 : Vintage Firearms Concerns?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    What precautions do you take before shooting an older gun?

How can a gunsmith assist?

What ammo considerations?

This M37 is a 20 gauge produced in early '50s.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    I would disassemble it and check areas where screws, pins, or welds are for any small cracks or signs of metal fatigue. Use a bore light and inspect everything. Areas of significant rust or pitting would also be a concern on these as depending on the model, the barrels can be very thin.

People pretty regularly shoot Lugers, 1911, etc that are over a 100 years old. I wouldn't be too worried as long as the gun is in good shape.

I have a M37 featherweight in 16 gauge that I still use for hunting small game. I know the gun is from at least the early 70s because it doesn't have a disconnector and can be fired by holding the trigger down and running the slide. Very well could be older but works like a clock. It's a workhorse as small game gun because it's so light and easy to carry in the woods.

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    Most likely it's fine the way it is. They built GOOD guns once they mastered nitro steel and the like post 1910 or so. Clean, look for cracks or missing parts... I bet it's as good or better than any Mossberg or the new plastic parts 870 one might buy today if not damaged.
    Is a 1925 pre 64 Winchester more desirable than the ones produced today?

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    I have 4 Model 37's, they are a strong well built John Browning design, unless it has any visible cracks or flaws, it should be fine to shoot. I wouldn't trade mine for a Model 500 or an 870.
    Just make sure that the bore is clear.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Seriously , early 1950's aren't "old" . Give it similar inspection as you would any used gun , but no special concerns.

In the early 1900's metallurgy and heat treatments were still evolving , but by late 1920's were as good as typical guns of today.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Seriously , early 1950's aren't "old" . Give it similar inspection as you would any used gun , but no special concerns.

In the early 1900's metallurgy and heat treatments were still evolving , but by late 1920's were as good as typical guns of today.

30s are old until you turn 30. Then it is the dreadful 40s.

And then...

Thanks for the helpful replies guys. I will look for a field tear down guide.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    That vintage will be 2.75in chambers .
    SAAMI max pressures for 2.75 ( & 3in) are 11,500 . Shells of this pressure were in common use 20 plus years before your gun mfg .

There ARE such things as shotshells made to specifically low pressures , but they are primarily intended for high grade British SxS from late 1800's . Aka actual Vintage guns .

So you may safely use any commercial 2.75in shotshell .( Well lead or equivalent, I'll plead unknown at this time regarding Steel .) If initially looking to just "go bang " for familarity , and for the experience of it , the promotional ammo ( low prices @ big box stores ) will do that for you . For specific use for hunting , defense , or serious persuit of specific clay target based sport , ask us , and we'll be glad to jaw on the subject.

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    I have a former Washington State police model 37 in 12 gauge that is one of my favorites. Truly ambidextrous and a very robust and well made gun. If you are concerned, take it to a gunsmith for a once over and then enjoy it.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    I have a former Washington State police model 37 in 12 gauge that is one of my favorites. Truly ambidextrous and a very robust and well made gun. If you are concerned, take it to a gunsmith for a once over and then enjoy it.

Thanks.

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    I probably would not worry about shooting an early 1950's Ithaca 37, given the gun in good shape (no cracks, damage, pitting, rust, excessive wear, etc.) and good commercial ammunition was used. I would have it inspected by a competent gunsmith if you are unsure. I have shot several firearms that are over 100 years old, but they were all in proper working order. I think that metallurgy really improved in firearms once smokeless powder became the norm (after 1900 or so). From a basic safety standpoint, I would not think twice about shooting most firearms made after 1900 as long as they are in good working order, use properly loaded ammunition, and are maintained properly.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    So, as an old shotgun collector myself, here's what I look for:

• Field strip and check all the main parts for wear and stress. Are there stripped threads or cracks anywhere? If so, replace. Look down the bore for bulges, pitting, and/or obstructions. Sometimes you can't see a bulge from the outside, but the bore will tell the tale.
    • What's the age? (Yours is stated to be 1950s production) Pre-WWI shotguns often had shorter chamber lengths. Anywhere from 2" (though rare) up to the 2-3/4" 'standard' of today. Many were 2-5/16" or 2-9/16" though, which would be unwise to fire with modern 2-3/4" shells. Sure, they'll fit unfired, but the crimp will unfold into the forcing cone and the shot column pushing against the overlapping plastic of the shell in the forcing cone will cause overpressurization of that region of the bore. Since yours is 1950s construction, you needn't worry about this particular aspect
    • Stock fit. As someone else posted, make sure the stock is snug, but not over-tightened. If it's too tight, or the wood has shrunk, the improper fit will cause chipping or cracking at the wrist. Same goes for too loose.
    • Check the choke. If it's a fixed choke, you'll want to make sure of the choke diameter and not throw steel shot down a full choke for waterfowl, etc.

If your stock is looking a little beat, I have a raw Mod 37 buttstock in walnut just looking to be finished and fit to a new gun. It was shipped to me instead of the stock I had originally ordered while back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom