• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chuck

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 1, 2016
    Anne Arundel
    I am looking to have roughly 180 feet of gabion baskets installed as retaining walls to level out my back yard. So far I have only found one landscape company that would be willing to work with them, but they haven't done it before. I think they look pretty good, especially of I can full them with blue stone.

Figured I would reach out here.

Some rough specs:
    Wall 1 will be about 3 feet
    Wall 2 will be right at 4 feet
    About 6500 sq feet will need to be leveled in between.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Gabion baskets are VERY labor intensive, that could be an expensive retaining wall. Especially if you want them to use Bluestone instead of gabion stone from the quarry.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    There is a member here who is a 'retaining wall technician'. He would probably know the companies that would work with gabion baskets.

At what height does AA require a fence on top ?

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    Utility contractors that do storm water management projects, road building, etc., would be familiar with gabion baskets. Not sure how gabions would price out vs. a typical Keystone retaining wall. A Keystone retaining wall would look much better, IMHO.

chuck

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 1, 2016
    Anne Arundel
    Thanks for the inputs. I was under the impression that they were less labor intensive than stone walls, especially in prep and drainage. Now you guys have me rethinking this.

Anne Arundel requires an enginer over 4' typically, is the 3 foot specific to gabion baskets?

There is already a fence on the high side, I'm going to add one to the low side. Not sure what the code is.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    A Keystone retaining wall would look much better, IMHO.

No kidding! I was ignernt on this topic, so had to go look at pictures. All sorts of shots of fancy hardscaped back yards and corporate spaces ... and using things things as presumably decorative walls. Who on earth looks at a hundred feet of gabion basket wall out their kitchen window for the next decade or two and says to themselves, "Now THAT is a good looking wall!"

I get it if it's holding back soil next to a long winding driveway through the woods, or it's preserving the yard's shoreline along a creek or something. But as an esthetic choice, for its own visual sake? No tanks!

chuck

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 1, 2016
    Anne Arundel
    No kidding! I was ignernt on this topic, so had to go look at pictures. All sorts of shots of fancy hardscaped back yards and corporate spaces ... and using things things as presumably decorative walls. Who on earth looks at a hundred feet of gabion basket wall out their kitchen window for the next decade or two and says to themselves, "Now THAT is a good looking wall!"

I get it if it's holding back soil next to a long winding driveway through the woods, or it's preserving the yard's shoreline along a creek or something. But as an esthetic choice, for its own visual sake? No tanks!

Thats what I think about the keystone that everybody seems to like. Looks boring and unoriginal. Going for the beach look, so baskets sort of fit. We aren't on the water but close enough that I think it will work, especially with the right stone.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    I like the look. Not a friend of bluestone in the gabions, but if you can find a nice color of a white limestone, I think they look really nice. Of course, as humid as it is around here, everything will be covered in algae before long, so it makes little difference. The other thing that works really well with gabions to plant some kind of vine to cover them.

If you have a taller wall built out of gabions in a dry place with good sun exposure, before long its going to house a bunch of lizards and snakes. If you like lizards and snakes, that's a good thing :D

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    The metal for the gabions are cheap, its the labor to fill them with rock that is expensive. They do work well and will last your lifetime. Used to work for a gabion company

chuck

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 1, 2016
    Anne Arundel
    I like the look. Not a friend of bluestone in the gabions, but if you can find a nice color of a white limestone, I think they look really nice. Of course, as humid as it is around here, everything will be covered in algae before long, so it makes little difference. The other thing that works really well with gabions to plant some kind of vine to cover them.

If you have a taller wall built out of gabions in a dry place with good sun exposure, before long its going to house a bunch of lizards and snakes. If you like lizards and snakes, that's a good thing :D

I spent way too much time pulling vines in this yard. I'd hate to intentionally bring them back. There are vines that are thick enough to use as boat tie downs.

The wall expert Sgt Psycho reached out and gave me some really good advice. Offered to do them, but talked me out of the baskets. I'll just put the ugly wall on my neighbors side

ed bernay

Feb 18, 2011
    The metal for the gabions are cheap, its the labor to fill them with rock that is expensive. They do work well and will last your lifetime. Used to work for a gabion company

plus I bet a gabion wall is more bullet resistant than a concrete wall if you are into fortifying your house for SHTF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom