• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steveinmd

Mar 3, 2008
    Westminster
    Two matches down, only two matches remaining to earn a spot in the season finale. Registration for the third match in the Mayberry Precision Rifle Championship Series in now open. Details on the series can be found at: http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=72705

Mail your check for $40 made payable to MGPA to:
    Steve Dukehart
    308 Royer Rd
    Westminster MD, 21158

Include an Email address (preferred) or phone number so we can notify you once your entry has been received.

Open to first 30 paid shooters, when roster fills entrees will be placed on a waiting list in the order they are received.
    72 hours notice required for a cancellation with refund
    No refunds given within 72 hours of match.

Thanks, hope to see you all at the range.

Steve Bechtel

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    Promised the missus that I wouldn't do another match till my manuscript was complete. If there are openings in 2 weeks I'll be in. :envy:

trp7

Apr 3, 2009
    Already have about 12, get them in before its full. The mover will be back, but no shotgun.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Never shot anything like this, but would like to first check it out. Is this something that I could come to watch maybe, before taking that leap?

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    Better to shoot it and see but I can say from having observed a black hat shoot up in PA that it is a good experience if, like me, you just don't have any idea what to expect. Better was my first actual participation at Mayberry in February but it was cool to watch just the same to get my bearings about how far 500-1000 yards actually is. Ping the organizer and don't expect the red carpet. They are BUSY on the day of the shoot. I volunteered to help but they had their stuff in order and I think that was as much a distraction as anything so I'd just watch, learn and meet the shooters. Good bunch of folks who are usually pretty happy to show you around their rigs and gear and give you pointers. Just my .02.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Better to shoot it and see but I can say from having observed a black hat shoot up in PA that it is a good experience if, like me, you just don't have any idea what to expect. Better was my first actual participation at Mayberry in February but it was cool to watch just the same to get my bearings about how far 500-1000 yards actually is. Ping the organizer and don't expect the red carpet. They are BUSY on the day of the shoot. I volunteered to help but they had their stuff in order and I think that was as much a distraction as anything so I'd just watch, learn and meet the shooters. Good bunch of folks who are usually pretty happy to show you around their rigs and gear and give you pointers. Just my .02.

Ok thanks, I just don't have any idea what to expect at all. I need to get alot more comfortable shooting longer distances first. I'm going to have to head up to 340 defesene and get my 400 yrd groups really tight before I jump into a match. Thanks for the info!

JamesBailey

Form Factor'ed!
    Jan 28, 2010
    Arlington VA
    Never shot anything like this, but would like to first check it out. Is this something that I could come to watch maybe, before taking that leap?

Speed3-

PM SteveInMD or Duke308 about watching a Mayberry match. Each match director has a different way of doing it and its best to clear your status with them prior to showing up.

But my advice is just sign up and shot it. They still let you go home if you don't hit all (any) of the targets :cool: I have only been shooting tactical match for a year or so and I started by just showing up with my rifle and shooting.

herr.baer

Maryland Escapee
    Dec 27, 2007
    Tennessee
    Ok thanks, I just don't have any idea what to expect at all. I need to get alot more comfortable shooting longer distances first. I'm going to have to head up to 340 defesene and get my 400 yrd groups really tight before I jump into a match. Thanks for the info!

Really the only way to get comfortable shooting these matches is to shoot them. It is not all laying prone or on a bench and shooting for groups. You will have to get use to not knowing the stages ahead of time and adapting to what ever course of fire the match director has some up with. You will find yourself shooting offhand, weak hand, off a simulated roof top, thru ports and so on. As long as you have good dope for your ammo then shooting at longer distance isn't that much different than shooting at 100yrd. Just pay attention to what the wind is doing. These types of matches are about hitting the given target, not tight groups. Your time would be better served shooting dot drills at 100 yards and being consistent on getting the same sight picture and cheek weld on your rifle after each shot.

steveinmd

Mar 3, 2008
    Westminster
    One week to go. I just finished the course of fire last night and it looks like a good one. The long range weather forecast looks nice, I'm looking forward to seeing everyone at the range.

Steve B.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom