• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I've been busy trying to find new recipes to use all the deer up and get established recipes. Next year we plans to really knock a few more down.

The recipe and fat content
    sweet-italian-recipe.jpg

I made 5 pounds and here is tray #1 to be flash frozen for vacuum sealing.
    sweet-italian-1.jpg

Did I mention that stuffing sausages and filling the stuffer tube gets me excited? :innocent0
    sweet-italian-2.jpg

The full story with my "Look a squirrel" ramblings are posted here.

Todd S

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2012
    Glen Rock, PA
    I always add pork fat to my sausage. Straight venison sausage is too dry for my tastes. Your recipe looks good though! I meant to say the amount of pork looks good though!

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    Looks good! I’ve done sausage the last few years from venison. I’ve used the Cabelas sausage spice kits, they have been pretty good in taste. I did Italian, Andouille, and Chorizo last fall. The Chorizo is great with eggs to make a breakfast burrito. I might give your recipe here a shot next year.

Screwtop.243

Ouch...that thing kicks
    Jul 7, 2011
    People's republic of MD
    They look good. My huntin' buddy has a similar set up and we use the real casing, just like what you are using. We make sweet italian, hot italian and Polish sausage. Keep the red wine, fennel seed and parmesian cheese handy! Great stuff!!

Screwtop.243

Ouch...that thing kicks
    Jul 7, 2011
    People's republic of MD
    Screwtop, are you making from kits are using your own recipes?

We use recipes that my friend brought down from Upstate NY where he'd hunt the swamps south of Ferdonia. We usually combine the meat from 2 mature deer and mix in 40 lbs., pork shoulder. I'd say it ends up being about 70/30 deer to pork. The only "kit" component might be the seasoning for the Polish variety that comes in a bag. We buy the fennel seed, parmesian, pepper flakes, etc., in bulk to add (and the wine). We grind/mix and knead it manually and let it rest refrigerated 48 hours before we extrude it into the casing. If I can get my hands on one of the recipes, I'll post it. Usually, I just show up to drink the wine.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    You need to get a meat mixer like this one. I mixed this 5# the other day by hand and my damn knuckles were hurting from the cold. I hate mixing by hand.

I altered it to mix better in a 5 gallon bucket and can mix 20# at a time. You need one of those large drill as my 1/2 hammer drill can't handle it and gets hot fast.

Started with this
    meat-mixer-e1523796576230.jpg

Welded it to this (Hardly shows I'm not a welder right? :D )
    meat-mixer-1.jpg

and us this size drill
    drill-e1523798040402.jpg

Bucket in a bucket with foot pegs as this drill WILL spin the bucket on you. I couldn't keep it still with my legs.
    mixing-bucket.jpg

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    This one is a direct screen capture of my excel recipe. It should be large enough

You need to get a meat mixer like this one. I mixed this 5# the other day by hand and my damn knuckles were hurting from the cold. I hate mixing by hand.

I altered it to mix better in a 5 gallon bucket and can mix 20# at a time. You need one of those large drill as my 1/2 hammer drill can't handle it and gets hot fast.

Started with this
    meat-mixer-e1523796576230.jpg

Welded it to this (Hardly shows I'm not a welder right? :D )
    meat-mixer-1.jpg

and us this size drill
    drill-e1523798040402.jpg

Bucket in a bucket with foot pegs as this drill WILL spin the bucket on you. I couldn't keep it still with my legs.
    mixing-bucket.jpg

Awesome, thanks for both posts!

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Check out the Scott Rea project on youtube! I've made a few of his sausage recipes. I really like his Caldwell sausage recipe. In the video he uses pork, but I did it with 80/20 venison and pork fat. SOOOOO good and peppery! I also like the English style of using biscuit crumbs as the "rusk" binding material. I actually used animal crackers and a blender to make my "rusk" for the mix.

Has anyone made goose sausage? I have about 15 lbs of goose meat that I'm thinking of making into the richest sausage on earth.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    someone is selling sausage?????? I am always down with buying a good sausage for my mouths enjoyment...

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    Nope, no sales, but beer donations are welcome. ;) I'll probably be out this weekend as my S-i-L and M-i-L are coming up and they like game meat. This was only a test batch.

Next test might be working on deer dogs after they are gone for prepping for next years carnage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom