AR10 Suggestions? Are any of them illegal?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    My fil has a dpms g2 and can’t stand the sight of it. Said he bought it thinking it was going to accept ar15 hardware and it won’t take any of it. Said the whole damn thing is proprietery.

I’m sure he be willing to sell it if anyone here wants one lmao. Never been shot btw

themoose06

Sep 11, 2016
    Did you ever get the linked windham you wanted op? I have been looking for this rifle but the lgs and one not so lgs lol, get get a hold of one.

Forgot I posted this thread. Yes I purchased this rifle, with a slightly shorter barrel. I purchased the R16SFST-308 (16.5” barrel version) from ManVenture Outpost online for $1260 shipped.

Had a shitty experience trying to order from Buds. I contact them to see if they will sell me this rifle, they say yes without the 20rnd mag. I order, they cancel. I call and see why, they say because it isn’t an Hbar. I relay to them what the MSP has told me. They don’t care and never followup. Even after I forwarded the email MSP sent me along with the necessary contact info. They said they would pass it along. I never heard anything back. Thats when I ordered from MVO. They had a lower price than Buds anyway.

Put 120 rnds of malay surplus 7.62x51 (some dirty ass brass) down range with no issues. Second range visit I put 130 down range with 3 stove piped rounds. Same ammo as before. I contacted Windham about this and they sent me a label to ship back the upper receiver. 3 weeks later my receiver came back and the bolt had been replaced with a “new more reliable duel ejector bolt” free of charge. Have yet to take it out since. Gunsmith said the bolt face was too tight on the previous bolt. Fantastic rifle so far, definitely my favourite.

7ceb3dbce121485d67a0128d8bc4dd9e.jpg
    5b7035a70f38e5d96b1d7f178a99c2b8.jpg
    8268bf292d3e1183f471cff0e2e8cd33.jpg

Happy with that target for 100 yards with the vortex strikefire.

Overall very happy with the purchase, would buy it again. Its incredible just how lightweight this rifle is. It is actually only .2 lbs heavier than my hbar ar15 carbine. The freefloat rail is comfortable to shoot with. I think the one thing i’d swap out sometime soon is the buttstock for a sopmod b5 or something. Glad I got the adjustable stock.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    Forgot I posted this thread. Yes I purchased this rifle, with a slightly shorter barrel. I purchased the R16SFST-308 (16.5” barrel version) from ManVenture Outpost online for $1260 shipped.

Had a shitty experience trying to order from Buds. I contact them to see if they will sell me this rifle, they say yes without the 20rnd mag. I order, they cancel. I call and see why, they say because it isn’t an Hbar. I relay to them what the MSP has told me. They don’t care and never followup. Even after I forwarded the email MSP sent me along with the necessary contact info. They said they would pass it along. I never heard anything back. Thats when I ordered from MVO. They had a lower price than Buds anyway.

Put 120 rnds of malay surplus 7.62x51 (some dirty ass brass) down range with no issues. Second range visit I put 130 down range with 3 stove piped rounds. Same ammo as before. I contacted Windham about this and they sent me a label to ship back the upper receiver. 3 weeks later my receiver came back and the bolt had been replaced with a “new more reliable duel ejector bolt” free of charge. Have yet to take it out since. Gunsmith said the bolt face was too tight on the previous bolt. Fantastic rifle so far, definitely my favourite.

7ceb3dbce121485d67a0128d8bc4dd9e.jpg
    5b7035a70f38e5d96b1d7f178a99c2b8.jpg
    8268bf292d3e1183f471cff0e2e8cd33.jpg

Happy with that target for 100 yards with the vortex strikefire.

Overall very happy with the purchase, would buy it again. Its incredible just how lightweight this rifle is. It is actually only .2 lbs heavier than my hbar ar15 carbine. The freefloat rail is comfortable to shoot with. I think the one thing i’d swap out sometime soon is the buttstock for a sopmod b5 or something. Glad I got the adjustable stock.

thanks for the reply and info. Crazy what the difference in price between this and the 18 inch barrel is. Over 100 bucks for just 1.5 inches of barrel. Not to mention, aside from GB, you can't find the 18 inch barrel model. Ive pretty much given up and might end up with a higher and ar-15 instead.

Last edited:

themoose06

Sep 11, 2016
    thanks for the reply and info. Crazy what the difference in price between this and the 18 inch barrel is. Over 100 bucks for just 1.5 inches of barrel. Not to mention, aside from GB, you can find the 18 inch barrel model. Ive pretty much given up and might end up with a higher and ar-15 instead.

I believe the 18” version has a longer gas tube.

https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/r16sfst-308?mobile=true

https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/r18fsfst-308?mobile=true

plenty of online retailers have both rifles in stock. these are links to the adjustable stock versions. that site is excellent for finding guns. i’ve used it to make several online gun purchases.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    I believe the 18” version has a longer gas tube.

https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/r16sfst-308?mobile=true

https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/r18fsfst-308?mobile=true

plenty of online retailers have both rifles in stock. these are links to the adjustable stock versions. that site is excellent for finding guns. i’ve used it to make several online gun purchases.

never even knew of that site. Looks like buds gun shop is actually selling the 18 inch barrel at a great price too. I might try to make this work.

Thanks again moose

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    GunDeals used to be called another name. It used to be SlickGuns.com. Showed great prices

themoose06

Sep 11, 2016
    never even knew of that site. Looks like buds gun shop is actually selling the 18 inch barrel at a great price too. I might try to make this work.

Thanks again moose

DO NOT BUY IT FROM BUDS!!! I tried. Even though its MD compliant, Buds thinks ar10’s must be Heavy Barrel. I emailed them what the MSP told me regarding AR10’s not being subject to the Hbar requirement. It didn’t matter, and they never followed up even though they said they would pass the case along to their legal dept. I got a refund and gave up on Buds. I had even asked them in advance if they would ship this rifle to MD. CS replied yes without the Magazine. It was a huge waste of time.

This site will save you money when ordering online, just type in the part number and search. You can use this for mags, guns, apparently gunsmith tools as well.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    DO NOT BUY IT FROM BUDS!!! I tried. Even though its MD compliant, Buds thinks ar10’s must be Heavy Barrel. I emailed them what the MSP told me regarding AR10’s not being subject to the Hbar requirement. It didn’t matter, and they never followed up even though they said they would pass the case along to their legal dept. I got a refund and gave up on Buds. I had even asked them in advance if they would ship this rifle to MD. CS replied yes without the Magazine. It was a huge waste of time.

This site will save you money when ordering online, just type in the part number and search. You can use this for mags, guns, apparently gunsmith tools as well.

Maybe I can pay an ffl to order it from them?

themoose06

Sep 11, 2016
    Maybe I can pay an ffl to order it from them?

Doubt it, they said they wouldn’t ship to MD. Didn’t matter who paid for it.

Try Whisper Firearms, I just purchased a gun through them and the experience was smooth. I’d give them a call and make sure they can ship the rifle to Maryland. They also have just about the lowest price on the gun deals search. Shipping was $15 for me and a $18 CC fee for around $550 purchase. Potentially around $40 CC fee if you use your credit card.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    Doubt it, they said they wouldn’t ship to MD. Didn’t matter who paid for it.

Try Whisper Firearms, I just purchased a gun through them and the experience was smooth. I’d give them a call and make sure they can ship the rifle to Maryland. They also have just about the lowest price on the gun deals search. Shipping was $15 for me and a $18 CC fee for around $550 purchase. Potentially around $40 CC fee if you use your credit card.

Yup- turns out they end up about 7 dollars cheaper than buds. On another note, I wonder why the 20 inch version on windham .308 is cheaper than the 18? I guess the rail maybe?

Until I can save enough for a geissele, I’ll probably drop my stock lwrc di rifle trigger in this. Should be a slight upgrade to the standard mil spec

Last edited:

themoose06

Sep 11, 2016
    Yup- turns out they end up about 7 dollars cheaper than buds. On another note, I wonder why the 20 inch version on windham .308 is cheaper than the 18? I guess the rail maybe?

Until I can save enough for a geissele, I’ll probably drop my stock lwrc di rifle trigger in this. Should be a slight upgrade to the standard mil spec

I think the 20” versions feature a different rail. Its Midwest Industries for the 16.5/18

Glockman80

Feb 23, 2018
    Maryland
    Wilson

I would suggest pending your budget, to check into Wilson Combat for a super sniper. These are proof one of if not the most accurate gas gun out and at a price that’s super fair also

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    I would suggest pending your budget, to check into Wilson Combat for a super sniper. These are proof one of if not the most accurate gas gun out and at a price that’s super fair also

I didn’t know you use the word budget and firearms in the same sentence ;)

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    man o man

just hopped on their site. many different calibers for their AR 10. nice. How popular is the .338 Federal?

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Build it, Have had good luck with Aero M5s with a couple small changes, they are DPMS high profile compatible. Use Aero parts for the takedown/pivot pins and bolt catch, 4-40 screw and clip a couple coils if you want to have the rear detent spring captured. The FCG, selector, detents and bolt catch spring/plunger are AR15 mil-spec. The mag well is wider, Aero's solution is a standard mag catch and long button, I like the Kak long mag catch and then most any AR15 button will fit(I use Armaspec B1). Use an AR10/A5 buffer tube, AR10 spring, and H3 buffer if you are doing a carbine. Built a couple, an 18" BA fluted heavy barrel/rifle gas precision rifle, and a 16" Faxon gunner AR10carbine gas(little longer than mid-length) lightweight build for 3 gun. Set them up so both can run suppressed, adjustable blocks and H3 buffers work over a wide enough port pressure range that they run soft and reliable with or without a can without having to re-tune.

20201128_151643.jpg
    20201128_154903.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom