• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kiwiknoll

Jan 16, 2015
    Clarksville md
    Hap baker range officer told me about a fella... New gun owner who had a snub nose 500 sw. Shot exactly 2 bullets and left. First bullet down range, heavy muzzle flip; second one on the recoil through the roof of their facility.

Lesson i took is to only ever load a single round for first timers.

That and keep looking for that guy b/c he would have sold his hand cannon cheap!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yeah, the Desert Eagle is a cliche in rap videos and bad action movies . But despite that , is a well made, very accurate pistol .

The two real life potential downsides :

It's a BIG pistol . I don't mean the overall size, thats obvious . The grip circumference is huge, and the trigger reach is long . I have XXXL hands, and it is larger than ideal fit even for me . Small to average hands will be a challenge.

.50AE pretty much demands for you to handload for it . If you are already a handloader , you'll enjoy it . The brass is relatively expensive, but bullets, powder, and primers are in line with any other big bore pistol . If you aren't yet a handloader , you either are about to become one , or you will very rarely shoot it .

Shooting/ Hunting partner #2 has a DE .50 , and I enjoy shooting it . One handed . It's also deadly on Va Whitetails .

In the reverse of a cpl posts above, consider getting Bbl and magazine for .44 for cheap , low recoil plinking .

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Don’t have one yet, but it’s on my wish list (#4 of 10 to be exact) for this year. Never shot one, but watching a guy shoot a couple bowling pin shoots at the old Deep Run Rifle & Revolver Club years ago made me want one, badly. A 44 Mag and 454 Casull later and I love shooting big bore pistols. Yes, it’s expensive. Yes, it’s far from practical, & the 454 can physically wear you out after an hour. Boy is it fun though. You enjoy that pistol no matter what any naysayers here might say. If it turns out you don’t like it, sell it. It obviously won’t be your EDC gun, you can hunt with it and have a bunch of fun at the range with it - and isn’t that what it’s all about? I hope to join you in the DE club someday soon. Good luck with yours.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I let some real newbies shoot 1 round of 45 Colt through my Alaskan the other day. Factory ammo, probably feels equivalent to shooting a 45 auto or less.

I can roll through a few cylinders of heavy grain hardcast .454 before having to take a break.

It's really not that bad, the short barrel doesn't burn all the powder so you lose a lot of power, the heavy weight of the revolver soaks up a lot of the recoil.

mdrpd

Mar 20, 2018
    I never liked mine b/c it tended to spit hot brass directly up and back at my face. Even got cut on the forehead once! But it's cool, nichey and fun. Congrats!

Casey39r

BANNED!!!
    Mar 27, 2018
    Maryland
    Thank you for all your positive and negative responses. Good shooting and God Bless you all.

TGM
    US Army Ret. E7

You Never Fired Anything Big Until You Fired An M114.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I've totally regretted every hand cannon I've ever purchased!!!! The guns are expensive and you never want to shoot them enough to be worth reloading in that caliber. Ammo is three times the price and stores are often out of stock and when they do stock it, it's never range ammo but the most expensive defensive rounds. If you're are at the range, the concussion tends to annoy those in neighboring lanes. It's not like you can ever use these firearms for CC and they are really impractical for just about every situation including home defense. Will I ever buy another obscenely large caliber and useless handgun?? ABSOLUTELY.

3BMFsbC.png

so that little nubby barrel is really only there for the front sight????

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    They're fun to shoot, but completely ridiculous. If you hand load, they're not much more expensive than reloading for the 45ACP. I load 350gr Berry's bullets and mine is a tack driver. I wanted to shoot a USPSA Single Stack match with it (I have 5 mag pouches and 6 mags), but haven't found an RO that will let me ("It will dent my steel.")

20170503_185004_zpsa4abw4wp.jpg

20170503_210601_zpsr7wzak9u.jpg

Casey39r

BANNED!!!
    Mar 27, 2018
    Maryland
    They're fun to shoot, but completely ridiculous. If you hand load, they're not much more expensive than reloading for the 45ACP. I load 350gr Berry's bullets and mine is a tack driver. I wanted to shoot a USPSA Single Stack match with it (I have 5 mag pouches and 6 mags), but haven't found an RO that will let me ("It will dent my steel.")

20170503_185004_zpsa4abw4wp.jpg

20170503_210601_zpsr7wzak9u.jpg

That is a nice holster. Where did you find it?

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    That is a nice holster. Where did you find it?

GMI Holsters (mine is the "Demon" holster in black carbon fiber.) They're custom, so you pick color, style, left or right hand draw, etc... fits perfect and just the right amount of retention. Mine has a Tech-lock on it, but I think they also offer regular loop or paddle, as well. A lot of people make custom Kydex holsters, but won't for the DE because of the amount of material it takes.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I couldn't do that with both eyes open .

( Joke about one eye aiming vs both.eyes open aiming )

Casey39r

BANNED!!!
    Mar 27, 2018
    Maryland
    Three hundred plus rounds later and I still love my DE 50, however, when I shoot my other pistols, I can't help thinking about if they were made for women particularly my Colt .45....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom