• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Ultimate Member
    Are ALL 147g commercial loads subsonic? My conversion program lists Mach 1 at 1087 fps, and the Federal site lists these hydrashocks at 1000 fps at the muzzle, which would make them subsonic. Is that generally the case?

yes, that is a nice physical barrier in 9mm bullets. 147 grain hit hard and can't break that sound barrier. You really should only use 147grn with a suppressor, there is no reason otherwise. Unless you really do not want over penetration or expansion.

115 and 124 are good for defense because they travel fast, can penetrate and have the velocity to get expansion.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I researched 9mm ammo thoroughly when I was carrying my personal G19 for work. While I don't care for Hydra-Shoks in .40 or .45, I came to the conclusion that in 9mm the 124gr Hydra Shok was about the best and most reliably performing 9mm round out there, short of custom loaded stuff. It's also a fairly hot load, running at around 1100fps IIRC. That's the same as a lot of so-called +P rounds.

Don't get all mixed up in +P and +P+ necessarily meaning a round is better also. +P rounds are still within SAAMI pressure specs, all the +P designation means is its a bit hotter than the particular company's "normal" rounds in that caliber, with often a relatively small increase in velocity. +P+ rounds are outside of SAAMI specs, and there is also some evidence that the high speed of +P+ 9x19 rounds, somewhere around 1250 fps usually, can greatly increase the chances that a 9mm JHP round will prematurely expand on impact and severely underpenetrate the target.

I also think 9mm FMJ is not a good idea for self-defense. Not only is it less effective than a HP round, it also is much more likely to overpenetrate and risk hurting an innocent person. While I certainly wouldn't call 9mm FMJ ineffective, even a cheap 50 round box of Winchester White Box JHP's from Wal Mart is a far better idea, IMHO.

Ultimate Member
    I researched 9mm ammo thoroughly when I was carrying my personal G19 for work. While I don't care for Hydra-Shoks in .40 or .45, I came to the conclusion that in 9mm the 124gr Hydra Shok was about the best and most reliably performing 9mm round out there, short of custom loaded stuff. It's also a fairly hot load, running at around 1100fps IIRC. That's the same as a lot of so-called +P rounds.

Don't get all mixed up in +P and +P+ necessarily meaning a round is better also. +P rounds are still within SAAMI pressure specs, all the +P designation means is its a bit hotter than the particular company's "normal" rounds in that caliber, with often a relatively small increase in velocity. +P+ rounds are outside of SAAMI specs, and there is also some evidence that the high speed of +P+ 9x19 rounds, somewhere around 1250 fps usually, can greatly increase the chances that a 9mm JHP round will prematurely expand on impact and severely underpenetrate the target.

that is good research, I'm not an ammo bigot and believe all good ammo is close to equal. I'm looking at my 124 gr federal HST, law enforcement, blah blah and the box says "high velocity, reduced recoil"

I never understood the physics behind increasing velocity and reducing the recoil. Its it a special powder in the HST load that has a delayed or controlled burn which allows the recoil to be distributed over time as opposed to being felt all at once?

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    http://www.tds-us.com/ 9mm Federal HST 26.00/50 rds

seem to still have some of the 147 and the 124+p

This item is available for order but not currently in stock. These items usually ship to the customer within 2-4 weeks but can not be guaranteed. Consistently backordered items, like ammunition, may take in excess of 90 days for delivery. Special order items, pre-order items, or custom items will ship when received from the manufacturer.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    hst-147-nickle.jpg
    hst's are the bee's knees. by expanding like a star they work sort've like a broadhead, with greater expansion with less drag by allowing stuff to pass between the petals which allows them to penetrate reliably. hydrashocks tend to overexpand and expand too early which limits penetration. 124 gr +p golden sabres seem to be a pretty effective choice for 9mm. hornady critical defense look pretty good as well. fmj has been killing people just fine for years(if you can get a bunch of germans to line up on a tank you can even kill 5 people at a time) but overpenetration is a no-no and a nice 13" penetrating hollow point is about perfect.
    hydrashok hst.jpg
    hornady2.gif

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    I have 124gr. Corbon JHP for HD but, I bought some of that Federal 115gr. +P+ LE only stuff. Mainly because it was only $17 for 50 rounds. Any opinions good or bad on it?

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    I have 124gr. Corbon JHP for HD but, I bought some of that Federal 115gr. +P+ LE only stuff. Mainly because it was only $17 for 50 rounds. Any opinions good or bad on it?

Go and shoot a magazine of it. My +p+ hydrashoks generate a massive muzzle blast which I don't like. The extra power while shooting is noticeable; but not uncomfortable. I wouldn't want to be shot with it.

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    Thanks to all for the info. I bought 150 of the +P+ and ran through a box on two different visits with some Corbon. I liked the Corbon better and thats what is on tap for HD. You are right, it does have noticeable flash and recoil. The Fed +P+ will remain good backup.....just in case. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom