• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    What do you use to heat the steel with ? My grandpa had a blacksmith shopwith a pit that was fired with anthracite and a electric blower. I imagine it created lots of carbon ingress.

Sam Salvati

blacksmith
    Apr 22, 2013
    Finksburg
    Most modern shops use propane, not a grill haha, engineered burners and forges designed for the job. Homebuilt burner knowledge has jumped a big leap in the past couple years.

K.C.Dean

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Buds Creek
    Forging metal and hammering it into a knife takes years of practice. I've watched a few videos on YouTube and most start with a flat peice of stock then trace out what they want, shape it with a belt sander drill the holes in the handle then send it out to have it tempered. That would be the easiest way.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I have one made from a 2 ft section of railroad track in my shop. Very heavy and works great. Only drawback is that the top of it does have a slight curve to it and you cannot make steel perfectly flat using the entire top surface. Other then that it's great.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I have one made from a 2 ft section of railroad track in my shop. Very heavy and works great. Only drawback is that the top of it does have a slight curve to it and you cannot make steel perfectly flat using the entire top surface. Other then that it's great.

Keep an eye out for DIN profile rail. Top is more flat.

http://www.atlantictrack.com/The Crane Rail Book.pdf

Go to Page 37. Only time I have seen it is Kocks container crane trolley rail; its fairly uncommon but does come up from time to time.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Im glad you guys brought it up because I was checking out a section of crane rail track that has been milled flat on top and on the sides. Giving serious thought to this as an alternative, thoughts?

The top of crane rail track is hardened. I'm sure milling has removed the hardened steel. When crane rail "wears out" its because it has worn through the hardened portion of the rail head and it will start to peen over.

For your purposes I'm sure it will be fine but given what has been done to it I would imagine it is somewhat softened.

clay pigeon

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 5, 2012
    But also remember you will be beating on steel that is laying on the piece of track, not beating on the track. I know a few people that have been beating on the bottom ( flat part ) of railroad track for decades that do not have peening issues worth mentioning.
    I can't believe that someone beginning to learn knife making will have severe issue's using a piece of track that can't be cured with a few minutes of draw fileing would not fix. I think hammer marks from missing would be more of a problem.
    OP just don't over think your beginning needs.

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    Have over 40' of what appears to be 80# A.S.C.E track. The head width might actually be closer to 2 3/4" (no exact match in the Crain Rail Book).

Already gave some to a buddy from work. If MDS members want to cut some sections to make anvils, that would be cool with me.

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    Have over 40' of what appears to be 80# A.S.C.E track. The head width might actually be closer to 2 3/4" (no exact match in the Crain Rail Book).

Already gave some to a buddy from work. If MDS members want to cut some sections to make anvils, that would be cool with me.

Sorry, forgot to attach this cross-section figure:

Attachments

• A.S.C.E  80.jpg
      A.S.C.E 80.jpg
      19.1 KB · Views: 258

MigraineMan

Ultimate Member
    Jun 9, 2011
    Frederick County
    Used anvils pop up on Craigslist or estate sales every so often. I had been bashing on the "anvil" section of a large Wilton vise for years, and finally decided to buy a proper anvil. Got a 100lb Emerson from Centaur Forge. Buy once - cry once. I have zero regrets ...

(As an added bonus, my lovely wife struggled to drag the thing in from the driveway during a downpour when it was delivered. That alone was worth the purchase. She hasn't let me forget about that, either.)

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD

There is a mill tolerance for crane rail just like any other steel. Size should be stamped in the web

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    There is a mill tolerance for crane rail just like any other steel. Size should be stamped in the web

Rolled a few of the shorter sections over, not seeing markings on them. Longer sections (10 - 12') are too heavy to move without equipment. They are in the woods on a steep hillside. I'll take the time to pull them out if anyone's interested. Otherwise I'll get them when I need them for a project. Looks like I have at least 7 sections, 8 - 12', one is about 5'. Some pics:

Attachments

• IMAG0306.jpg
      IMAG0306.jpg
      94.1 KB · Views: 198
    • IMAG0307.jpg
      IMAG0307.jpg
      112.3 KB · Views: 226
    • IMAG0308.jpg
      IMAG0308.jpg
      63.4 KB · Views: 207

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Brand new to the knife making hobby. Looking for a amateurs anvil to get started or ideas to make one at home. If you have one for sale at a amateur's price level couldn't hurt to throw it up or PM an offer. Personal experience and suggestions would be great, rather not go wrong right from the start. If you got them, show them, love to see your set up!

If you are new to forging I strongly suggest you take some classes before you buy equipment. The selection of what is best depends on what you want to do so get acquainted with some blacksmiths and do some learning first.

Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association has an active Blacksmiths Shop that operates during shows. Next show is Spring Steam Up in April.
    http://www.roughandtumble.org/

They also teach Blacksmith Classes on Labor Day Weekend:
    http://www.roughandtumble.org/schoolsatrt

The Hans Herr House also teaches Blacksmith Classes and has a Blacksmith Days show in June:
    http://www.hansherr.org/education/folk-art-classes/blacksmithing/

Carroll County Farm Museum has Blacksmith Days and used to teach classes:
    http://ccgovernment.carr.org/ccg/farmmus/Events.aspx

Also contact one of the Blacksmith associations for other learning opportunities:
    PABA (see the past newsletters for a list of classes)
    http://www.pabasite.org/
    BGCM (Blacksmith Days in May and see calender for classes)
    http://www.bgcmonline.org/

Last edited:

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I had a coworker of mine ask me randomly the other day if I wanted an anvil from his Dad's house. Turned out to be a 50 or 60 pound Vulcan which from reading online isn't a great brand but what the hell, now I have two anvils.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom