• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    2 Lawsuits may be a good thing. This will add pressure on the very few floppers/fencesitters needed to pass the bill, which should make the lawsuits moot. The bill was pulled so it could come back at a later time, so the lawsuits are most definitely timed accordingly IMO.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Someone should point out the huge waste of tax payer money being used to defend a law that obviously does not comply with the 2A, regardless of the antis claim of it's huge societal benefits. Look at Baltimore or Chicago or Trenton NJ to see how well it has worked.

Auckland

Get On My Horse
    Apr 6, 2008
    The Dena
    Only Illinois makes it statutorily impossible for average private citizens to carry firearms for self-defense.

Have they ever seen Maryland's CCW rules????

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    2 Lawsuits may be a good thing. This will add pressure on the very few floppers/fencesitters needed to pass the bill, which should make the lawsuits moot. The bill was pulled so it could come back at a later time, so the lawsuits are most definitely timed accordingly IMO.

Or it will add time as the state defendant rightfully asks the courts to combine the cases. This involves lots of briefs and arguments over whose case is the one to proceed, how the other plaintiffs get represented, how the teams should work together.

Time.

Hopefully the NRA and SAF avoid a pissing contest and work together on this one. I don't know who feels the most stepped on, but I bet the NRA feels like the SAF swooped in on them, this time.

Drama.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I wonder of there was any discussion between the two organizations prior to filing the suits? Seems like poor coordination unless they could not agree on a unified approach. I'm with Patrick, this could blow up in someone's face.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    I have no insight but know someone who probably has some details. I'm not sure they matter as long as they can patch it up.

FWIW, it looks like Halbrook (of Williams) is the lead on the new NRA case.

Al Norris

Spud Head
    Dec 1, 2010
    Rupert, Idaho
    Patrick, the SAF lawsuit was filed in the US District Court for Central Illinois. The NRA lawsuit was filed in the US District Court for Southern Illinois.

They cannot be combined.

Since we have yet to see the NRA complaint, we don't really know if the suits are identical. Even if they are, the State will be forced to handle each one separately.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Patrick, the SAF lawsuit was filed in the US District Court for Central Illinois. The NRA lawsuit was filed in the US District Court for Southern Illinois.

They cannot be combined.

Since we have yet to see the NRA complaint, we don't really know if the suits are identical. Even if they are, the State will be forced to handle each one separately.

OK, excellent point. Thank you. So maybe this was coordinated.

Also, this explains the multiple explanations in the SAF complaint of why Springfield was chosen as the venue for the case. They were drawing a line. I imagine the NRA suit will use the lead plaintiff's residence to define venue on their case, to draw a different line.

Wow. Two cases at once, both by powerhouse organizations. The SAF/NRA two-punch. Only in Illinois and Maryland.

I feel special.

krucam

Ultimate Member
    The NRA/ISRA case was apparently "in the works" for close to a year according to IL's NRA liason (Todd Vandermyde). I think the SAF suit was a surprise to the NRA coalition, as they presented some apprehension after the SAF announcement (prior to NRA announcement) on Illinoiscarry.

Then again, I could be wrong...

Busy day there.

Al Norris

Spud Head
    Dec 1, 2010
    Rupert, Idaho
    The case, Moore et al v. Madigan et al is now RECAPped. Docket is here. I also RECAPped the officially filed complaint.

Side Note: I queried PACER for the NRA case, Sheppard v. Madigan. No Joy. sigh.

krucam

Ultimate Member
    The case, Moore et al v. Madigan et al is now RECAPped. Docket is here. I also RECAPped the officially filed complaint.

Side Note: I queried PACER for the NRA case, Sheppard v. Madigan. No Joy. sigh.

I shouldn't have to tell you, but for the benefit of others, about 2 days from announcement until availability on PACER. Perhaps one of the 2 Districts involved is just slower.

sigh....

Thanks Al...

jpr9954

Oct 22, 2010
    Western North Carolina
    Having read both complaints, I think each reflects the organization that filed the respective complaint.

The SAF's complaint is cleaner, less emotional, and gets to the point. The lead plaintiff in their case is a former LEO and now the Superintendent of a county jail. When he was a LEO (served 30 years in Cook County), he was approved to carry concealed while off-duty. It is hard to say (a) he doesn't know what he is doing with a firearm and (b) wouldn't face some threat due to his past work where he needs a means of self-defense.

The NRA's case definitely pulls the emotional heart strings. The lead plaintiff, Mary Shepard, was the victim of a brutal attack while working at a local Baptist Church. She holds a CCW from a couple of states and held them at the time of the attack but couldn't carry due to Illinois law. She certainly can prove she needed a firearm for self-defense but that alone might not cut it with a court. However, the NRA can use her as a "poster child" for the need for CCW when it lobbies legislators.

The one thing that bothers me a little about the NRA suit is that it sues the local sheriff and State's Attorney in addition to the AG and Governor of Illinois. Suing the sheriff maybe but I think suing the State's Attorney (local DA) is not going to get anywhere. They pretty much are immune from darn near anything.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    You know, I see it much the same way. The SAF generally puts up people with compelling legal issues, while the NRA puts up people with compelling personal issues. Both fit and both could work.

I agree that suing a State's Attorney is a bit of a waste, but there must be some level f involvement with the issuance (or lack therein) of permits. They will file one of the many eventual motions to dismiss and maybe have it granted. We saw this in NC with SAF's Emergency Powers lawsuit. At the least, it creates a window for appeal. But it makes for a whole lot of work.

krucam

Ultimate Member
    Summons were issued on 5/24/2011, acknowledged 6/9/2011, responses from AG Madigan & Hiram Grau are due 7/25/2011.

06/09/2011 11 SUMMONS Returned Executed by Jon Maier, Illinois Carry, Second Amendment Foundation, Inc., Charles Hooks, Michael Moore, Peggy Fechter. Lisa Madigan served on 5/24/2011, answer due 7/25/2011. (Sigale, David) (Entered: 06/09/2011)

06/09/2011 12 SUMMONS Returned Executed by Jon Maier, Illinois Carry, Second Amendment Foundation, Inc., Charles Hooks, Michael Moore, Peggy Fechter. Hiram Grau served on 5/24/2011, answer due 7/25/2011. (Sigale, David) (Entered: 06/09/2011)

Let the good times roll...

05FLHT

Jan 14, 2011
    This was just posted on Illinoiscarry by someone from the SAF.

Indeed, let the good times roll...

SAF FILES FOR PRELIMINARY INJUNCTION AGAINST ILLINOIS CARRY BAN
    For Immediate Release: 7/7/2011

Capitalizing on its federal appeals court victory Wednesday in Ezell v. City of Chicago, the Second Amendment Foundation today moved for a preliminary injunction against the State of Illinois to prevent further enforcement of that state’s prohibitions on firearms carry in public by law-abiding citizens.

The motion was filed in U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois in Springfield. Joining SAF in this motion are Illinois Carry and four private citizens, Michael Moore, Charles Hooks, Peggy Fechter and Jon Maier. The underlying case is known as Moore v. Madigan.

Illinois is the only state in the nation with such prohibitions. The state neither allows open carry or concealed carry, which runs afoul of recent U.S. Supreme Court Second Amendment rulings, including last year’s landmark ruling in McDonald v. City of Chicago, another SAF case. SAF was represented in McDonald and Ezell by attorney Alan Gura, who noted after yesterday’s appeals court win – forcing a temporary injunction against the city’s ban on gun ranges that the city immediately changed after the decision was announced – that “Even Chicago politicians must respect the people’s fundamental civil rights…Gun rights are coming to Chicago. The only question is how much the city’s intransigence will cost taxpayers along the way.”

“Now that the Seventh Circuit has recognized that the deprivation of the right of armed self-defense is an inherently irreparable injury, it is clear that Illinois’ law-abiding gun owners are entitled to a protective injunction,” said attorney David Jensen of New York, who, along with Glen Ellyn, IL attorney David Sigale, is representing SAF and the other plaintiffs.

“Yesterday’s win was a wake-up call to Chicago,” said SAF Executive Vice President Alan Gottlieb. “Today’s motion is a signal to the Illinois Legislature that the state’s total ban on carrying of firearms for personal protection is counter to both Supreme Court rulings on the Second Amendment, and yesterday’s ruling by the Seventh Circuit appeals panel that shredded Chicago’s gun ordinance. Our victory Wednesday and today’s motion are key components of SAF’s overall mission to win back firearms freedoms one lawsuit at a time.”

Motion is here: http://ia600603.us.archive.org/14/items/gov.uscourts.ilcd.52015/gov.uscourts.ilcd.52015.13.0.pdf

Memo Supporting Motion is here: http://ia600603.us.archive.org/14/items/gov.uscourts.ilcd.52015/gov.uscourts.ilcd.52015.14.0.pdf

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom