• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    My question pertains to long arms purchases in Md.
    Is it the same process, NICS check for purchase as one would do in Va. or does Md use more databases? Whatever happened with the Form 77r?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    My question pertains to long arms purchases in Md.
    Is it the same process, NICS check for purchase as one would do in Va. or does Md use more databases? Whatever happened with the Form 77r?

Same as VA, cash and carry fill out a 4473, enjoy.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Ok thanks. Been awhile since I purchased in Md. My last two purchases were in Va., but prior to those I thought Md did another check.
    Perhaps I was thinking of handgun in one and rifle in another.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    In MD, the FFL runs a NICS check since MD is a point of sale state for long guns.

VA is a point of contact state where VSP runs all background checks for the FFLs. I believe they just run NICS, but they do apply VA prohibiting factors which are slightly different from MDs. In addition to the Form 4473, you also fill out the VSP form authorizing the background check and pay $2 (or $5 as a non resident) to process the check. VA also requires two forms of ID for nonresidents.

aklax11

Jan 8, 2015
    I don't remember paying anything extra or filling out any additional forms for my purchase in VA as a MD resident

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Maybe the confusion is coming from me. So let me clarify some. Why can you purchase say a Mossberg Shotgun /SKS etc. from a dealer in Va or Md same paperwork, or 4473. If you (I) want to purchase an AR 15, has to go through Md? If want to purchase AR 10 it is ok? Same 4473? Va. or Md.!

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    Maybe the confusion is coming from me. So let me clarify some. Why can you purchase say a Mossberg Shotgun /SKS etc. from a dealer in Va or Md same paperwork, or 4473. If you (I) want to purchase an AR 15, has to go through Md? If want to purchase AR 10 it is ok? Same 4473? Va. or Md.!

AR15 rifles and AR10 rifles are cash and carry as any other long gun (4473, NICS and done). Some dealers in other states won't sell an AR15 to a Maryland resident because they aren't sure of the laws. That is there choice as the dealer, not the law. Some won't sell because of the standard capacity 30-round magazines that come with most AR15 rifles. Again, there choice, not law.

AR15 lower receivers are regulated in Maryland, not in other states.

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    Any long gun you purchase in VA has to be legal if you purchase the same thing in MD. (No standard barrel AR, no AK, etc.) Anything you can purchase cash & carry from a MD dealer can also be purchased cash & carry from a VA dealer, 4473, NICS, pay the man and go home with your new gun.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Thanks Tyler and others. I think it was just the dealer in Va didn't care about sale. SG would be fine, but AR type wanted to go through Md FFL . Thanks again.

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    Thanks Tyler and others. I think it was just the dealer in Va didn't care about sale. SG would be fine, but AR type wanted to go through Md FFL . Thanks again.

It’s not that they don’t care about the sale, it’s just they don’t want to violate our confusing laws and end up in hot water. That wouldn’t happen, but a business owner can have whatever policies they want. Transferring to a MD dealer means they complied with federal law and the MD dealer has the responsibility to comply with MD law.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA

You do the same 4473.

If in VA, you fill out another form for VSP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom