MSP advisory "received" and "one-shot" requirement.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland

Dont know if this is posted ..if it is.. delete/ignore .

//cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5a0f77a224b6b/11-17-17++LD-HQL-17-003++Definition+of+Receive.pdf

PUBLIC SAFETY §5-117.1(c) states that “A person may purchase, rent, or
    receive a handgun only if the person:
    (1) (i) possesses a valid handgun qualification license issued to the
    person by the Secretary in accordance with this section;...”
    The Maryland State Police (MSP) has applied the ruling in Chow v. State, 393
    Md. 431 (2006) to interpret the definition of “receive” as it pertains to PS §5-
    117.1(c). Chow held “the temporary gratuitous exchange or loan of a regulated
    handgun between two adult individuals, who are otherwise permitted to own and
    obtain a regulated handgun, does not constitute an illegal “transfer” of a
    firearm....” The MSP views “transfer” and “receive” as equivalent for purposes
    of Maryland’s firearms laws and interprets “receive” as including the gratuitous
    permanent exchange of title or possession, but excluding temporary gratuitous
    exchanges or loans of handguns.
    Therefore, an individual, not otherwise prohibited from owning or possessing
    regulated firearms, is not required to possess an active HQL in order to borrow a
    regulated firearm from another individual on a temporary basis.

//cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5a0f7b5...4+Alternative+Ammo+for+Live+Fire+Trng (1).pdf

PUBLIC SAFETY §5-117.1(c)(3)(iii) requires a firearms orientation component that demonstrates the person’s safe operation and handling of a firearm, which includes, as required by COMAR 29.03.01.29.C(4), a practice component in which the applicant safely fires at least one round of live ammunition.
    1) 2)
    The Maryland State Police (MSP) has received several requests to review
    alternative non-lethal, marking projectiles to satisfy the “live fire” component of
    the HQL training requirement. The MSP has determined that the use of non-lethal
    marking projectiles would meet the HQL “live fire” training requirement
    provided that the non-lethal marking projectile meets the following requirements:
    meets the definition of “ammunition” as defined in Public Safety §5-133.1(a):
    “a cartridge, shell, or any other device containing explosive or incendiary
    material designed and intended for use in a firearm;” and
    can be fired from a firearm as defined in Public Safety §5-101(h)(1)(i): “a
    weapon that expels, is designed to expel, or may readily be converted to expel
    a projectile by the action of an explosive.”

So assuming sims guns are ok now for the live fire .

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Probably too many calls asking their interpretation on it. Lol

There are like half a dozen shops that rent firearms in Central MD.

Why do I suspect antis are calling up "how is this legal?"

There have been several unfortunate tragedies at some of these ranges. May or may not be a coincidence, but my antenna are tingling.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland

There are like half a dozen shops that rent firearms in Central MD.

Why do I suspect antis are calling up "how is this legal?"

Not even that... Seen here/asked before that if significant other/family would like to borrow a handgun and go to the range .

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I edited my post.

Can my son/daughter/spouse use my gun at the range does not seem like a question you call the police to ask. And if they are getting a lot of these questions, enough to write a memo, there is a lot of new interest out there.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland

I edited my post.

Can my son/daughter/spouse use my gun at the range does not seem like a question you call the police to ask. And if they are getting a lot of these questions, enough to write a memo, there is a lot of new interest out there.

Yup.. It's a good thing...

The borrowing also answer the question if your kids/wife need hql or not before taking said gun to the range.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    The thing that pisses me off about the one shot requirement is that live fire was in SB218 initially. It was taken out of the bill when we argued that it would be onerous. MSP put it back in after the bill was passed without it.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    The thing that pisses me off about the one shot requirement is that live fire was in SB218 initially. It was taken out of the bill when we argued that it would be onerous. MSP put it back in after the bill was passed without it.
    This. The reason I tell people to take the Texas online hunter Safety course.

Sent from the 3rd Rock

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county

But, but, LE agencies only enforce the law!

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    How is that even legal?

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    How is that even legal?

The way the MD consitution is written, only a final approval committee actually enacts the letter of the law going into COMAR.

The General Assembly votes and sends the Act to the releveant state agency for COMAR text write up, the agency writes it up and sends the COMAR text back - not to the entire General Assembly - but simply to the committee empowered to approve the text that will be entered into COMAR. The committee has the power to approve or disapprove any changes the agency sends over.

So, in MD its not actually the General Assembly that writes law, its just that final approval committee - as enshrined in the MD constitution.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    The way the MD consitution is written, only a final approval committee actually enacts the letter of the law going into COMAR.

The General Assembly votes and sends the Act to the releveant state agency for COMAR text write up, the agency writes it up and sends the COMAR text back - not to the entire General Assembly - but simply to the committee empowered to approve the text that will be entered into COMAR. The committee has the power to approve or disapprove any changes the agency sends over.

So, in MD its not actually the General Assembly that writes law, its just that final approval committee - as enshrined in the MD constitution.
    that's some
    :bs:

Minuteman

BANNED!!!

Thanks.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Welcome to the People's Repbulic of Maryland. Back in 1972 I learned this was the way things were done in the Soviet Union.

smokedog

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2009
    Frederick Md
    So does someone who can legally own firearms need a HQL to borrow one for range use?
    Reading comprehender not working this morning. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom