• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    I am originally from Illinois and most of my family still lives in Southern Illinois.

You need(ed) a FOID card to buy a tube of BBs at Rural King.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Yaaasss. Someone here posted a photo of their dad's FOID card. I'd never heard of such a thing and thought "that's some fascist $hit." I'm glad to hear that it may be coming to an end.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Back in February I went back to see my Dad in Southern Illinois.

A small gun shop in Pana, IL had eight Garands, three 1903A3, and two 1903s. All CMP Rack, Field and Service grade. $900 - $1300.

In addition to the cool old guns they had several ARs between $800-$1000.

Without a FOID, they wouldn't even talk to me about selling me one.

Attachments

• garands.jpg
      garands.jpg
      162.3 KB · Views: 1,095

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Will this affect striking down the MD HQL?

Not without Illinois appealing the decision and having it chased up through federal court, circuit court, and eventually to SCOTUS (since we're not in the same circuit as IL). And that presumes that IL would take the time and effort to appeal it all that way, which I seriously doubt.

Now, does it help MSI's counter-HQL efforts to be able to point to this very related ruling in another state as they work it here in Maryland? Can't hurt. But as it sits, this ruling in IL doesn't make anything happen in MD.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Yaaasss. Someone here posted a photo of their dad's FOID card. I'd never heard of such a thing and thought "that's some fascist $hit." I'm glad to hear that it may be coming to an end.

That was me. Dad's actual FOID "card" is expired but he has a letter from the Illinois State Police extending it's expiration date because they are behind in issuing new cards due to COVID.

The problem is, most shops will not honor that letter.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    Not without Illinois appealing the decision and having it chased up through federal court, circuit court, and eventually to SCOTUS (since we're not in the same circuit as IL). And that presumes that IL would take the time and effort to appeal it all that way, which I seriously doubt.

Now, does it help MSI's counter-HQL efforts to be able to point to this very related ruling in another state as they work it here in Maryland? Can't hurt. But as it sits, this ruling in IL doesn't make anything happen in MD.

This is what torques me about the Federal Circuit system. Why are the laws between the several federal circuits different? Why is an FOID that is ruled as unconstitutional in one circuit not unconstitutional in another circuit.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Frosh scoffs
    Atterbeary doesn't feel fresh
    O'Malley is nowhere to be found

XCheckR

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    HdG
    This is what torques me about the Federal Circuit system. Why are the laws between the several federal circuits different? Why is an FOID that is ruled as unconstitutional in one circuit not unconstitutional in another circuit.

Isn't that where the SCoUS should step in.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Isn't that where the SCoUS should step in.

The Supreme Court doesn't step in. NO court "steps in." Somebody has to bring a case to them, has to show standing, and has to convince them the case is appropriate for that venue and that they should weigh in. Thousands and thousands of cases are routinely waved off by SCOTUS without another glance. They (the court) don't have a constitutional mechanism by which to read the news in the morning and say to themselves, "Well, THAT doesn't sound right - let's step in!"

Which isn't to say that they don't sometimes rule on cases that should be left alone, and certainly that they don't ignore cases they should take. But they can only ignore or act on things that are brought to them through the normal food chain of circumstances, lower court rulings, etc.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    Will this affect striking down the MD HQL?

This is a state court issue. It was in the IL Circuit Court, which is the lowest level court in IL. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judiciary_of_Illinois This is also an as-applied challenge which means it only applies to the defendant. The ruling does not even apply to others in IL.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    This is a state court issue. It was in the IL Circuit Court, which is the lowest level court in IL. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judiciary_of_Illinois This is also an as-applied challenge which means it only applies to the defendant. The ruling does not even apply to others in IL.

Now, would the state appealing that ruling (in the interests of further making miserable the woman in question) make the matter increasingly fair game for wider precedent?

It does seem odd that "the licensing mechanism in place is unconstitutional" would only apply to one person. The language of the ruling certainly wasn't written as if the judge was only thinking about her.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013

The federal laws are the same across all circuits. The federal courts can hear state law challenges, but only if they are challenged on federal issues such as the Constitution.

This particular case is a state law in a state court. How a particular state rules on their laws is not really applicable outside that particular state, although that ruling may persuade other courts to use the same logic in reaching a conclusion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom