• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    You do know that if you are smart with the build, you can assemble an AR10 that is <8.5#, right?
    The POF Revolution is coming to mind as one of the lighter-weight ones, but the reality is that most of the budget priced guns come in at the 8.5-10lb range. Not a lot of love for pencil barrels these days.

Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    I would submit that aside from a few select manufacturers that have fielded them, the 308 AR isn’t really a battle rifle. For instance the ruger sr762 I had dis not have a user serviceable piston rod. I think this would disqualify it from being a “battle rifle.” Requiring a punch and overly specific tools/ knowledge to maintain a system makes it a no go. But it also wasn’t built to be a “battle rifle.”

A 308 anything isn’t going to be super light. 8-9 lbs is pretty much where it is going to start. I described this earlier so won’t again.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I would submit that aside from a few select manufacturers that have fielded them, the 308 AR isn’t really a battle rifle. For instance the ruger sr762 I had dis not have a user serviceable piston rod. I think this would disqualify it from being a “battle rifle.” Requiring a punch and overly specific tools/ knowledge to maintain a system makes it a no go. But it also wasn’t built to be a “battle rifle.”

A 308 anything isn’t going to be super light. 8-9 lbs is pretty much where it is going to start. I described this earlier so won’t again.

I can’t claim to have messed with many AR-10s...but the DI ones I’ve examined appear to be any more difficult to Field strip and maintain than an AR-15. Yes, .308 semi-autos are typically not ideal for a battle rifle any more. They are used as DMR rifles mostly where their extra range is needed.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

If you look at the history of the AR pattern rifles, you might change your mind. The only reason why the AR15 is around, is due to the Air Force not wanting a 308. The AR was originally built around a 308 cartridge.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I can’t claim to have messed with many AR-10s...but the DI ones I’ve examined appear to be any more difficult to Field strip and maintain than an AR-15. Yes, .308 semi-autos are typically not ideal for a battle rifle any more. They are used as DMR rifles mostly where their extra range is needed.

The AR10 tears down the same as any AR15, with the possibility of a few changes, depending on the pattern. The Rock River LAR-8 BCG does not require you to rotate the cam pin to pull it out of the carrier. Other AR10 patterns, may have something similar in the tear down process, but by no means are they more difficult to field strip and maintain. All you are realistically dealing with is larger parts. That is realistically the only real difference, between an AR10 and an AR15 from a basic consumer standpoint.

If you would like to link up one day and see how hard it is to tear down a RRA LAR-8, all you have to do is say the word.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    The AR10 tears down the same as any AR15, with the possibility of a few changes, depending on the pattern. The Rock River LAR-8 BCG does not require you to rotate the cam pin to pull it out of the carrier. Other AR10 patterns, may have something similar in the tear down process, but by no means are they more difficult to field strip and maintain. All you are realistically dealing with is larger parts. That is realistically the only real difference, between an AR10 and an AR15 from a basic consumer standpoint.

If you would like to link up one day and see how hard it is to tear down a RRA LAR-8, all you have to do is say the word.

I mean, I won’t say no to playing with guns :D

I was mostly commenting on Jollyannas comment on AR-10s being difficult to tear down. I’ve pulled apart an Armalite AR-10 and that is it, but I wasn’t aware of any major differences in any of the AR-10 DI rifles that would make them non-Field serviceable. But since I’ve only messed with one...

I’ve got an Aeroprecision .308 upper and lower I look forward to building some year soon. Right now I just finished tracking down the last of the parts to build my 18” 6.5 Grendel upper. It’ll be a complete rifle in a couple of months, but my wife made me promise no new guns...sooo...I won’t be building out a lower for it right now. Just slapping it on one of my already completed lowers.

I am hoping to take it out deer hunting late season.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

I was mostly commenting on Jollyannas comment on AR-10s being difficult to tear down. I’ve pulled apart an Armalite AR-10 and that is it, but I wasn’t aware of any major differences in any of the AR-10 DI rifles that would make them non-Field serviceable. But since I’ve only messed with one...

I’ve got an Aeroprecision .308 upper and lower I look forward to building some year soon. Right now I just finished tracking down the last of the parts to build my 18” 6.5 Grendel upper. It’ll be a complete rifle in a couple of months, but my wife made me promise no new guns...sooo...I won’t be building out a lower for it right now. Just slapping it on one of my already completed lowers.

Then pm a brother so we can figure something out with scheduling! :D

Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county

I am aware of the origins of the ar15 and it beginning as a .308.
    My comments regarding tear down were directed specifically at the ruger sr762 and the piston transfer system, not .308s in general.

Despite the ar originally being designed for .308, most of the 308 ARs currently aren’t “battle rifles.” Some are and some could be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom