• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Techguy

Jun 13, 2018
    Glen Burnie
    Forgive me if I screw this up this is my first post. But I was wondering If anyone knew if there are any laws or regulations regarding inheriting a handgun if a family member passes away? Or if I should seek professional legal help for this matter.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    As long as you are not prohibited from owning firearms and are an adult, you should be able to take possession of a handgun that you have inherited. You do not need a HQL for inheritance. You might need to complete 77R paperwork for the transfer of possession at a FFL (gun store that sells firearms), especially if the handgun is from out of state. (I'm sure someone more familiar with the topic will clarify this last bit.)

Although some of the posts might not be directly pertinent to your question, here is a thread with relevant information ...

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=222181

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Was the firearm willed to you by name? If yes, the process is very simple. "I, deceased grandpa, hereby will my Russian ____ to my grandson Techguy"
    If grandpa died and grandma wants you to have the pistol, it gets a little more tricky.
    Please provide more details.

EDIT- By Maryland law, willed/inherited firearms require the lawful owner to be deceased.

Techguy

Jun 13, 2018
    Glen Burnie
    My grandfather (my moms dad) died recently and there was nothing in the will about it. He was divorced from my grandmother and my mom was his only child. My mom was also power of attorney for my grandfather since he was blind while he was still alive. So I would assume it would go to my mom since she would be the next of kin correct? Also since she has power of attorney that would allow her to "gift" it to me correct?

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Your mom could gift it, but it's a separate transfer process and would require a HQL, unless it's a C&R pistol. However, if she says that it was your grandfather's intention that you receive the pistol after he passed, I would check with a friendly and knowledgeable FFL in your area. They're very familiar with the inherited transfer process, and if coming from out of state, it would likely need to be mailed to the local FFL which would do the transfer for you (no HQL required).

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    If there was a will, the should be an executor. Presumably your mom. The executor is responsible of disposing of the estate. If the estate gives you the 1953 all metal power drill, or the 57 chevy or the Ruskie pistol, isn't that an inheritance? It's not a gift from your mom, it it's part of the estate.

I don't know for sure, I am not an attorney but very few of us have every single thing we own specified in our will. For the active collectors and C&R guys, they would have to change their will, weekly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom