• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j26sub

May 8, 2018
    I know this dead horse had been thoroughly beaten, but has Frosh commented or written on this? All I can find is Gansler's letter. I really want to start walking down Main St. With my 2 year old and my Winchester 94....maybe to get a coffee or some donuts. Thanks

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Currently, there is no state law against long gun carry.

However, you need to research the local ordinances. There are 3 towns/cities with casing ordinances, that are grandfathered.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Without a doubt, unless it's hunting season. Expect LE interactions, if you are going to walk down the street with a loaded long gun. They will check to make sure, you have no malice or evil intentions.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    I know this dead horse had been thoroughly beaten, but has Frosh commented or written on this? All I can find is Gansler's letter. I really want to start walking down Main St. With my 2 year old and my Winchester 94....maybe to get a coffee or some donuts. Thanks

Try Wisconsin Avenue in Bethesda, or Connecticut Avenue in Chevy Chase. I wouldn't suggest bringing your 2yo, being locked up with children only applies to illegals. Seriously though, why put your 2yo in the experience you may incur with LEO, I don't think it helps them. For the responses of BGOS on the way, prove me wrong and strap a pre Oct. 2013 AR-15 or HBAR on your back at the suggested locations, legal correct?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    If you inadvertently muzzle sweep someone, you could very well be looking at a reckless endangerment charge at best.

First degree assault would be harder to prove, unless someone starts arguing with you on the street, while their friend is recording the interaction.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    In central maryland you will get arrested, detained, and your gun confiscated. If you are with your 2yo, your kid may be taken to a foster home while they sort it out and search your house. Anywhere you are liable to need it, its illegal locally, like Baltimore City.

Don't expect Gansler or Frosh to come to your defense either. That "letter" was simply for show to give the appeals court some tiny fig leaf of cover.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    People in other states or cities can walk in to Starbucks with an AR-15, then have a conversation with LEO. I just don't expect that to happen in Montgomery County that way. The places I mentioned, carrying an AR-15. My "speculation" would be being met with a dozen cops , guns drawn on you shouting orders of how to disarm. Once that is done, the crawling away from the weapon a bit, then face down and cops quickly planting knees in your back and getting cuffed. They'd find something to charge you with. IANAL, but have heard some states can charge 2nd degree assault on grounds of "intent to frighten". Now that would be adjudicated in court, but the charge and arrest would still happen. Get a good attorney.

In order to prove “intent to frighten” assault, the government must provide beyond a reasonable doubt: (1) that the defendant committed the act with an intent to place the other person in fear of either immediate physical offensive contact or physical harm, (2) that the defendant had the apparent ability, at the time of the incident, to bring about offensive physical contact or physical harm, and (3) that the other person reasonably feared immediate offensive physical contact or physical harm. If there is sufficient evidence to support a claim of self-defense, the government must also prove that the defendant’s actions were not legally justified.

j26sub

May 8, 2018
    Just frustrated with this state. Wish there was something we could do....some way to change g&s without waiting for years and praying the SCOTUS picks it up. I wouldn't be the first to try this, but I would join in if a lot decided to try to educate the people and LE. It can't be a demonstration, but a trip to the store should be fine.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    In the past, I've toyed with the idea of slinging a long gun to my back while riding my motorcycle to the AGC range in Marriottsville.

I don't think I'd make it too far... SOMEONE is going to call 911 on me and I'm sure that I'll be pulled over on the highways somewhere between my home and the range.

So I just case them and take my truck instead. Maybe one day I'll experiment with a cased gun strapped to my bike...

For example:

2v18z0p.jpg

dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas
    Open carry of long arms as a protest of the absurdity of concealed carry laws or as a method of accustoming the general public to the safe and lawful presence of firearms is a controversial tactic. There is still some debate over the effectiveness of the efforts of groups such as Open Carry Texas in the eventual lifting of restrictions on open carry of pistols. If a less than friendly interaction with law enforcement happens in a relatively gun friendly state such as Texas, it is almost a certainty you will be taking a ride in the PRM. It is a sad state of affairs when a perfectly legal activity results in a new pair of shiny bracelets and reputation smearing by the pearl clutching press.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    Long arm of the law will check you out and possibly more , a cavity search in lock up . They will try to hit you with something reckless endangerment of a minor .

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Try walking around with an empty holster first, a big cowboy one with "bullets" in the belt, and see how much attention you get from that.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    You will not advance G&S or 2A rights in MD.

It will be considered a stunt and get you more trouble than it’s worth.

Look at the Smiegel video on Youtube

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Yes, the G&S business is nonsense. But the people who believe it's appropriate and vote for those who perpetuate it ARE NEVER GOING TO CHANGE THEIR MINDS once they've had a guy and his kid walk past them at the Frederick IHOB with a rifle slung over his shoulder. That will just push the crazies even farther into the belief that Maryland's restrictions are the only thing keeping them safe from Eeeeeeevil gun toters. Do not feed that monster with a theatrical stunt that will only prove them right in their own low-information minds.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Opening for the press to label all gun owners nuts and only give the other side points against us as a group. I get the frustration though. I’ve had some wild thoughts, but I know it’s not going to change 40-50 years of gun rights oppression...it takes a long time to undo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom