Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Gun Rights and Legislation > National 2A Issues

Notices

Old May 18th, 2017, 11:36 AM #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
I never knew this. can you tell me some states that require this? I travel a bit, and have more than a few permits. it would be helpful to know.
I know MS does as part of their constitutional carry law passed last year. I'd have to look closely at each state. It's not something typically mentioned on handgun law, exc.
press1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2017, 11:38 AM #12
In a State of Denial

In a State of Denial

ok thanks. I read quite a bit but I'd never heard of that requirement, at least in the states I have permits from or that I have carried in.
Old May 19th, 2017, 02:11 AM #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
ok thanks. I read quite a bit but I'd never heard of that requirement, at least in the states I have permits from or that I have carried in.
I am in no way attempting to be stupid, but rather, I am still learning about these things. My question is: If you don't use a holster, how do you open carry?
KJackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2017, 02:28 AM #14

Stuck in waistband , either appendix or Mexican, with a tucked in shirt. Or for full size gun, potentiality stuck in back pocket, with enough gun exposed to be recognized as a gun .

Consult specific state for statutory and case law definitions.

I don't imadately recall which, but some states do require use of a holster, but it is not common.

PSA - In general , a proper and well fitting holster is a wise practice . But for people who don't routinely carry, but otherwise keep a pistol at hand , in either vehicle or fixed location, may well need/ wish to occasionally carry for convience, recreational use, or specific threat . On those occasions, waistband or pocket carry without holster is ( frequently temporarily done, ought to be option, etc ).
Biggfoot44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2017, 11:00 AM #15

Interestingly enough, this (open carry on own property) came up as a side conversation when I was attending a class for veterans who wanted to apply for a MD Carry permit.

The gist of the conversation was that you could be cited for disorderly conduct for carrying on your own property if someone saw you and called the police. Lots of nervous nellies in the Democratic Peoples Republic of Marylandstan.
Old May 19th, 2017, 12:52 PM #16
Former MSI Treasurer

Former MSI Treasurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG75 View Post
Interestingly enough, this (open carry on own property) came up as a side conversation when I was attending a class for veterans who wanted to apply for a MD Carry permit.

The gist of the conversation was that you could be cited for disorderly conduct for carrying on your own property if someone saw you and called the police. Lots of nervous nellies in the Democratic Peoples Republic of Marylandstan.
I frequently open carry on my property while cutting grass (in holster), weeding, etc. Have had many great conversations with neighbors walking their dogs. Have had an officer show up once, surveyed the situation and went on his way.

All comments posted by me are the express opinion of myself only and do not represent the opinions of any other person or organization unless posted otherwise.
mxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2017, 02:19 PM #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggfoot44 View Post
Stuck in waistband , either appendix or Mexican, with a tucked in shirt. Or for full size gun, potentiality stuck in back pocket, with enough gun exposed to be recognized as a gun .
Thanks for the info. For some reason, I thought that being stuck in a waistband was to be avoided. The exposed part is what I was thinking about, because if you can't see it I figured it would be considered "concealed".
KJackson is online now   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Gun Rights and Legislation > National 2A Issues