• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • offroaD

Jun 1, 2011
    I'm thinking about making the drive and buying a long gun from a private seller in VA. As I understand it(internet research) because it's a private sale it has to go through an FFL. Does this mean an FFL in VA has to ship it to an FFL in MD or can I meet this guy at an FFL in VA and have the gun transferred to me and then drive the gun back to MD with me?

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Yes, you can go meet up at a VA FFL for the long gun transfer. But there are complications. The sale and transfer need to be legal under both MD and VA law, i.e. the long gun you're purchasing needs to be legal to purchase and possess in MD. And that means the gun cannot transfer with standard capacity magazines (i.e. > 10 rounds), if it comes with any, as part of the gun purchase. You can purchase all the standard capacity magazines you want in VA and bring them back into MD, just as a separate transaction from a firearm purchase.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    The part about magazines in the previous response is simply untrue. You can buy a MD legal rifle in VA with all the magazines you like. The rifle sale must go through a VA FFL or MD FFL, either way. You just cannot buy standard 30 rounds magazines if the sale happens in MD.

offroaD

Jun 1, 2011
    Cool thanks. It's just a bolt gun with an internal magazine, so all is good in that aspect. Hopefully I can haggle this guy down lol

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    The part about magazines in the previous response is simply untrue. You can buy a MD legal rifle in VA with all the magazines you like. The rifle sale must go through a VA FFL or MD FFL, either way. You just cannot buy standard 30 rounds magazines if the sale happens in MD.

Tell that to Academy Sports and the Texas judge.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Can you expand on this comment please?

Texas judge ruled that academy sports can be sued for selling 30 round magazines to a church shooter because he was from Colorado where the mags were illegal.

Although everything happened in Texas

This is very brief but you should understand his comment.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Texas judge ruled that academy sports can be sued for selling 30 round magazines to a church shooter because he was from Colorado where the mags were illegal.

Ah Ok. Makes sense. But able to be sued over isn't the same as illegal

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    I guess there would have nobody to sue if he used 2 15rd or 3 10rd mags. It's much worse when 1 30rd mag is used, it's more of a tragedy....:rolleyes:

chuck

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 1, 2016
    Anne Arundel

There is a difference in that Colorado bans possession unless acquired before 2013. Maryland bans in state acquisition.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    There is a difference in that Colorado bans possession unless acquired before 2013. Maryland bans in state acquisition.

I get it i just tried to sum it up in something easy to process vs discussing the details

Back on topic

OP as long as it goes through a FFL you are good to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom