• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Here's a question for you guys. We'll use my MKE AT-94P as an example:

I bought this back in 2009-2010. It was imported as a pistol, was added to the maryland handgun roster, and had been converted to a rifle prior to my purchasing it. Obviously, it is a copy of an HK94. At the time, the HK94 was a regulated rifle but has since been banned. However, the AT-94P is still on the pistol list and the barrel is over 16 inches; meaning you can buy it AS A PISTOL WITH A BARREL LENGTH OVER 16". If I were to buy this in pistol form today, I could not legally convert it to a rifle in this state because I would be manufacturing a copy of banned rifle. BUT, what if I had storage in another state, converted it there and stored it there. In other words, I buy it as a pistol, remove it from this state, convert it in another state and never bring it back in this state again. I simply store it there until I retire and move out of libtopia marylifornia. Can I legally do that? If I properly understand the laws of this dystopian travesty of a state, it is a legal loophole and can be done. What do you guys think?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    You can keep it as a rifle out of state. You can also legally pay $200 and make it an SBR that you can have in MD.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    As far as I understand, you can SBR any rifle in MD as long as the OAL in >29". The form asks for the length of the barrel and OAL.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I didn't think you could SBR a rifle with a 16" barrel.
    Well, federally you can, if the OAL was < 26". IIRC, the X95 has this problem and resolves it with a thicker pad on the stock... replace just the pad with the original IDF version, and you have an SBR with a 16" barrel. I do not recall off the top of my head if the MD definition is only barrel < 16", or if it also includes OAL < 26".

In any event, yes, you can keep it as a pistol in MD, make it a rifle in VA, and then bring it back so long as the stock was removed before you came into MD. I use a similar paradigm for suppressor mounts - I'll have an ASR brake on my semi-auto rifles with folding stocks, and only use a suppressor on them out of state (where legal).

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Can anyone provide the COMAR cite that describes the maximum barrel length of a pistol?

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    Can anyone provide the COMAR cite that describes the maximum barrel length of a pistol?

There isn't one. There is one saying anything under 16'' is a pistol. These are state definitions, not Federal; don't confuse the two.

Sirex