• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • one-star

Mar 9, 2009
    I thought their "money problem" was Bloomberg etc bullying banks into not doing business with them, and needing a war chest to fight it?

Shrinking membership base--one one side you have the "NRA Isnt Pure Enough, give to GOA" crowd, on the other side you have the "Trump is President and all is well" crowd and off the top you're bleeding the suburban hobby hunter set everytime Loesch or LaPierre starts talking about end of times race wars and the like.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    WSJ:

North is out.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/oliver-north-out-as-nra-president-11556376506?mod=mhp

Part of me wonders if Ackerman hired North, not for TV, but because they needed a face for an upcoming fight.
    That was fast. Hopefully they'll now have LaPierre make a graceful exit, and get rid of the ad company (otherwise the NRA seems more like a front for them - constantly raising funds to pay the ad company - no wonder the NRA ILA's fundraising is separate).

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    That was fast. Hopefully they'll now have LaPierre make a graceful exit, get rid of the ad company (otherwise the NRA seems more like a front for them - constantly raising funds to pay the ad company - no wonder the NRA ILA's fundraising is separate).

Perfect. Fast is good. And if LaPierre is also deemed to be a problem, he's hopefully right behind North. This sort of crap is the very last thing we need from NRA. Best they remember where their meal tickets come from, and the cause that's bigger than any of them.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    LaPierre knows how to rally the base, but he's been on watch as this ad company (which refuses to tell the NRA how it spent money that the NRA gave it) has slowly taken control of the organization.

Oliver North Says He Will Not Serve Another Term as N.R.A. President
    https://nyti.ms/2XRpvGe

The president of the National Rifle Association, Oliver L. North, announced on Saturday that he would not serve a second term as the gun rights group faces some of its worst turmoil in years and grapples with an internal battle for its future.

Mr. North said he would not be renominated in a letter that was read on his behalf at the group’s annual convention, where he and insurgents in the organization had sought to oust Wayne LaPierre, the group’s longtime chief executive.

The power struggle was likely to be resolved at the group’s board meeting on Monday.

Behind it is a widening crisis involving a legal battle between the N.R.A. and its most influential contractor, Ackerman McQueen, amid renewed threats from regulators in New York, where the N.R.A. is chartered, to investigate the group’s tax-exempt status. With contributions lagging, the N.R.A. is also facing an increasingly well-financed gun control movement, motivated by a string of mass shootings.

In the statement that was read to group members, Mr. North said he believed a committee should be created to review the N.R.A.’s finances.

There is a “clear crisis” and “it needs to be dealt with” if the N.R.A. is to survive, he said.

His announcement caught high-ranking members of the organization off guard, as well as members.

“Can you tell me what’s going on?” one member asked a reporter on Saturday, outside a ballroom where the group was holding a meeting of its membership.

But Mr. LaPierre appeared to be fully in control of the group at the meeting, receiving healthy applause from the members during a speech that was heavily critical of two leading New York politicians that have been thorns in his group’s side: Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo, and Attorney General Letitia James.

“He and his supporters will stop at nothing to advance his personal political agenda,” he said of Mr. Cuomo.

On Wednesday, Mr. North had asked Mr. LaPierre to resign. On Thursday, Mr. LaPierre, in a letter to the N.R.A.’s board, accused Mr. North of threatening to leak damaging information about him and other N.R.A. executives unless he stepped down.

“Yesterday evening, I was forced to confront one of those defining choices — styled, in the parlance of extortionists — as an offer I couldn’t refuse,” Mr. LaPierre wrote. “I refused it.”

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Everyone on stage together
    70588c061bf8b67c0124049b32289492.jpg

Credit: Tim Mak

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Cypherpunk, thanks for the updates. We need to get together when you're back. (in case you're at the convention)

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Lots of accusations, how long before this ship is set straight .... and when will we know where it is going? Time is critical given the coming election.
    Several memes and pics popping up on instagram

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-27 at 12.58.26 PM.jpg
      Screen Shot 2019-04-27 at 12.58.26 PM.jpg
      58.6 KB · Views: 490

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    North and Ackerman could be the source of the financial impropriety allegations in the NYT. They could be just that- allegations to try to blackmail the board and gain leverage in the negotiations. Not sure I take them seriously.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    The NRA Board needs to step up and do their job like big boys and girls.

That starts with inviting Mr. LaPierre and Lt. Col to move on. Then firing Ack-Mc and finally a financial audit.

LaPierre should have been transitioned out years ago.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    LaPierre has been in the same position since 1991. It is long past his time to go! The NRA needs someone at the top that doesn't give on second amendment issues. That's what the repair will take.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Thought LaPierre was going to go, not North. I'm surprised.

I still think LaPierre will be gone.

If the NRA is to survive this scandal, LaPierre will need to go. I think the NRA is more than just one man. Now is the time for the real NRA to make itself known, in the spirit of "I am the NRA". The more folks that stand and say that, the more Wayne LaPierre's attempts to hold on to his 28 year reign of profiteering will fail. I never liked him, and I think having a "lifetime" position like Executive Vice President (and CEO) in the organization is a bad thing. This can be changed if the organization is willing.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    This "scandal" seems to be wholly manufactured by Ackerman allies. WLP should have retired years ago for sure. But leaking info to the NYT and The Trace will make it harder, not easier to get rid of WLP. And at the end of the day, the people that leaked are just playing into the hands of Bloomberg and are just as bad.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    If WLP has expensive taste that the NRA pay for I have a huge problem with that , should cut the head off the snake and start new . NRA needs to reorganize and get fresh leadership .

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom