• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    An important step was missed here...

In order to buy a handgun in Merry-Land, first you have to obtain an HQL = Handgun Qualifying License...

You can't buy a handgun without one, period...

Your HQL needs to be presented to your FFL or the Merry-Land State Police BEFORE any paperwork can be initiated...

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    An important step was missed here...

In order to buy a handgun in Merry-Land, first you have to obtain an HQL = Handgun Qualifying License...

You can't buy a handgun without one, period...

Your HQL needs to be presented to your FFL or the Merry-Land State Police BEFORE any paperwork can be initiated...

Don't forget:

Exceptions to possession of the HQL License

A Licensed Firearms Manufacturer.

Active law enforcement officer or a person retired in good standing from a law enforcement agency of the United States (Federal Law Enforcement), the State, or a local law enforcement agency of the State.

Active or retired member of the United States Armed Forces or National Guard and possesses a valid military identification card.

A person purchasing, renting or receiving an antique, curio or relic as defined in federal law.

Maryland licensed firearms dealers. (Sole Proprietors)

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    AND , handguns designated as C&R .

But the general theme is that purchasing handguns at a Gun Show involves the same level of bull droppings as purchasing elsewhere. No more, no less.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    CMP long guns are shipped direct in states where allowed which includes MD.

The CMP has a special provision in its Congressional charter which allows them to ship certain government surplus rifles directly to qualified buyers. There are special qualifications way beyond those required of Bubba when he buys his .30-30 at Walmart. There are also extra forms to fill out and an open-ended wait of anywhere from two weeks to six months or even more. Meanwhile, all federal and state laws apply, and federal background checks are run by the CMP on each sale. No loopholes.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    And, my understanding is, If you as a MD resident travel to another state and purchase a handgun, it has to go through the MD process.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    And, my understanding is, If you as a MD resident travel to another state and purchase a handgun, it has to go through the MD process.

Buying a Handgun in a State other than Maryland, as a Maryland Resident.

- Requires TWO FFLs

-- One in the State where you buy the Handgun and another in the State of Maryland.

- FFL (other state) must ship the Handgun to a Maryland FFL.

- THEN... YOU must complete ALL of the same steps to purchase that Handgun as you would have had to complete if you bought the Handgun from that Maryland FFL.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Actually, no. The law states it must be transferred from an FFL in the state of residence of the buyer. Some FFL's will accept a shipment from a non FFL in another state. Some won't check first. I sold a Glock to a buddy in GA. I shipped it directly to his FFL in Atlanta.

BATFE FAQ

Attachments

• batfe.jpg
      batfe.jpg
      43.7 KB · Views: 196

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Or at a large regional Gun Show such as today at Chantilly:

Buyer and seller reach deal.
    They walk over to Md based FFL ( such as Accurate Pawn).
    Buyer hands payment to seller.
    Seller hands pistol to Md based FFL.
    Seller walks away with his $ in his pocket.
    Buyer deals with MD based FFL in usual manner. Has to pay the Transfer fee, but no shipping expenses.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    As Threeband said, he can't ship a gun to you. That's illegal.

There are two ways you can buy a gun at a gun show (or anywhere else, the process is exactly the same):

1) From a dealer (FFL). You go to their table, buy the gun, and fill out the ONLINE FORM. They submit everything for you, and you wait seven days. Then you go to their shop, sign the final papers, and take home your gun.

2) From a private seller. You pay them money. Then you go to an FFL and pay them to handle the transfer for you. You fill out all the same paperwork as above, and after seven days, you get your gun. Or you can go to an MSP barrack and fill out the paperwork there, wait your seven days, etc.

In any case, ALL handgun sales in MD must go through either an FFL or the MSP, they all involve the same paperwork, and they all involve the seven day wait.

FTFY. :)

CMOS

One ragged donut hole
    Nov 13, 2009
    MoCo
    Question was legit; not trolling. Haven't been to a show yet. Have an FFL(01) and am exploring the opportunities. Not doing a traditional storefront but am looking to do more interesting low-volume specialty projects.

he is asking about handgun sales AT GUN SHOWS.

maybe that's the difference

platoonDaddy said:
    OP, I am confused. You have been a member since 2009, with over 400 post and you are asking questions about handgun sales.

Are you trolling?

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    Question was legit; not trolling. Haven't been to a show yet. Have an FFL(01) and am exploring the opportunities. Not doing a traditional storefront but am looking to do more interesting low-volume specialty projects.

I find your statement highly suspect. You state you have an FFL-01 and do not know the regulations for doing transfers? Why don't you ask the BATF?

HRDWRK

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Jan 7, 2013
    39°43′19.92216″ N

I find your statement highly suspect. You state you have an FFL-01 and do not know the regulations for doing transfers? Why don't you ask the BATF?

Well my tinfoil hat just did a spin!

CMOS

One ragged donut hole
    Nov 13, 2009
    MoCo
    Because
    (1) regulations don't always reflect exactly the way things actually go down in practice,
    (2) the BATFE doesn't have any comment on Maryland in particular, and
    (3) forum members are highly experienced.

Thanks to those who helpfully replied above!

BTW, every other professional license I have in regulated space requires an exam for minimal proficiency. Interesting that the FFLs are so highly regulated, and the stakes for mistakes by FFLs are arguably higher, but there's no examination that the licensee knows not to make straw purchases, etc.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown

If this is true might I recommend going to another FFL and asking questions? To someone experienced in the business.

CMOS

One ragged donut hole
    Nov 13, 2009
    MoCo
    If this is true might I recommend going to another FFL and asking questions? To someone experienced in the business.

A good suggestion, but FFLs say all kinds of stuff, none of it with any authority.
    There's the laws, the regulations, ATF rulings, MD law, and the MSP's current interpretation of it.

Some FFLs will sell unregulated to MD across state lines, some won't, some FFLs think you need an actual bore lock, some don't. Some will transfer a hi-cap mag with an added shim, some wont.

Might as well be asking favorite type of sushi roll.

The average user here is at least as knowledgeable as the average FFL, from what I've seen.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    some of the absolutely most inaccuate and downright incorrect pronouncements I ever seen or heard about happened in gun stores. Now whether it was counter help or the FFL is unknown to me

I think a combination of opinions and talking to a truly knowledgeable FFL who sells at shows is your best option.

But I am not an FFL or a lawyer so my opinion is worth squat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom