• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    thinking about getting a <16" barrel for an AR. pin and weld is roughly $100 from what i've seen. of course if i go real short, no brake will get me to 16" so pin and weld wouldn't be an issue there. nfa stamp is $200 for this i believe.

so for an extra $100 (and forms, fingerprints, long wait, etc) i wouldn't have to worry about the hassle of pin & weld. anything else to consider?

I guess technically i am registering a specific lower, is that right? if i get a stamp for that specific lower, am i free then to get a bunch of sbr uppers to mix and match as i see fit?

thanks for any input!

MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Damascus
    The only other issue to keep in mind is using your SBR outside of your state. You will need to submit a form 5320 with the ATF whenever you want to bring it to another state. I submitted one for the Peacemaker address in WV so I can bring it to their location.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    thinking about getting a <16" barrel for an AR. pin and weld is roughly $100 from what i've seen. of course if i go real short, no brake will get me to 16" so pin and weld wouldn't be an issue there. nfa stamp is $200 for this i believe.

so for an extra $100 (and forms, fingerprints, long wait, etc) i wouldn't have to worry about the hassle of pin & weld. anything else to consider?

I guess technically i am registering a specific lower, is that right? if i get a stamp for that specific lower, am i free then to get a bunch of sbr uppers to mix and match as i see fit?

thanks for any input!

Correct. I have one SBR and multiple uppers for it. Pay for one stamp and have multiple toys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    As a sbr, could I (va resident) bring it into Maryland for a match?

Yes but it needs to be over 29” and you need to have an approved form 5320.20.
    You would need to fill in exactly where you are taking it and the date(s) that it will be there. AFAIK for dates you can put in 1/1 to 12/31 and be covered for the entire year.
    Someone else my chime in with more info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    rbird is correct.
    FWIW, You can also put a HBAR 16"+ upper on it and bring it to MD w/o filing a Form 20. You only need to form 20 if you are also bringing the SBR uppers to another state. When the lower has a rifle length upper on it, it is not considered an SBR even though it is still registered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom