• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    17L also gives me a chub.

I have a Gen1 17L ported and a Gen3 17L I ported to match my Gen3 24C. On the lookout daily for a factory Gen2 17L ported!

Attachments

• 1E083E23-4A01-4625-9905-7FA6621F3C3D.jpeg
      1E083E23-4A01-4625-9905-7FA6621F3C3D.jpeg
      5.9 KB · Views: 225

mattonmission

Dec 17, 2019
    The Glock 45 (essentially a 17 with a 19 slide) is an excellent choice for folks with larger hands. The Glock 48 is a slim 19 and the 15-round mags now available from Shield Arms make it an excellent choice for readers in border states.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    The Glock 45 (essentially a 17 with a 19 slide) is an excellent choice for folks with larger hands. The Glock 48 is a slim 19 and the 15-round mags now available from Shield Arms make it an excellent choice for readers in border states.

You don't have to be in a border state to possess magazines greater than 10 rounds.

OMCHamlin

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2017
    The Cumberland Plateau
    I saw the title and was NOT surprised to see this go 13 (+?) pages, mention Glock and everyone has an opinion, which basically boils down to;

1. The best pistol ever made, and the 19 is the king of the hill for Glocks, so G19 it is, [/thread]
    2. Glocks? A soulless pile of plastic garbage that is horrid to shoot and fits no one, they suck and you should own ANYTHING else. ANYTHING!
    3. Glocks are okay. So are others.

Kinda the problem is, you are getting tons of opinions, but you know not from whenst they came. Has the Glock lover ever owned the one he raves about? (Oh yes, not ever owning or even HOLDING one in a gun shop has NEVER stopped anyone from wearing their little fingers to the bone typing their opinions about them...)
    Or the Glock hater? Does he (she?) have a sound basis for hating them? Not fitting THAT persons hand does NOT render the gun a piece of crap for all of humanity. Or did they buy their first (and only) Glock and then proceed to dump every piece of aftermarket crap in it in an effort to "perfect" "Perfection"? They do that until it's down to about 87% reliability and then proclaim (wait for it) that it's a piece of... crap.

I've owned them for about 20 years and shot them for another 10 - 12 years prior to that. I'm a low level IDPA shooter and own a fair cross section of other pistols as well, I went to Glock armorers school (maybe a decade ago, expired long ago to be honest) and I'm the least timid about diving into one compared to say; an S&W Gen 3 auto or some other, overly complicated design. I've been through the "keep adding stuff to my Glock" phase and I do still change sights (Ameriglo, if anyone gives a crap) and polish stuff in the "innards". I never (anymore) touch the striker spring on a Glock, almost without exception nothing good comes of it, ever.

So, my recommendation; a G45 or a G48, depending on what fits your paw the best, both are the same length and similar height, the 48 is slimmer, but holds 5 less rounds, unless you want to go the Shield Arms route and use their 15 round all metal mags. A LOT of folks have tried them and at least in the short term, they are loving them. I am the one guy that could not get 100% reliability out of them, but to their credit Shield Arms gave me a full refund on everything I bought from them in order to try and... "perfect" "Perfection". Oh well, I still have to relearn some stuff, sometimes.

Good luck in your selection! Remember, it doesn't HAVE to be a Glock either...

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    My top 3 choices, all gen5:
    1. G45 MOS, if I was planning on using a red dot for competition or classes
    2. G34 MOS, if I was planning on using irons in competition
    3. G19 with a G17 MOS slide and LW slide adapter, if I was going to carry

Under no circumstances would I buy a non-MOS Glock. Red dot sights are going to be the standard for shooting within a decade.

I do think the 17-length grip helps me shoot better, but it's obviously less concealable. YMMV.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    It's like with all things. Do your research see what you want and don't want and go from there. My first AR is unrecognizable after all the mods I've done and that is based off of my preferences that I learned from having one. Just buy one and if you don't like it sell it or mod it.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    It's like with all things. Do your research see what you want and don't want and go from there. My first AR is unrecognizable after all the mods I've done and that is based off of my preferences that I learned from having one. Just buy one and if you don't like it sell it or mod it.
    Here's the "mod my Glock" timeline:
    1. Buy a Glock
    2. Realize the factory trigger and sights are kinda bad
    3. Replace the sights
    4. That went well! Time for a new connector/trigger!
    5. This thing is almost acceptable! Time to mess with the recoil spring. 9lbs sounds right.
    6. Why doesn't my gun cycle reliably anymore? Time to "upgrade" the striker spring. 4.5lbs, here I come!
    7. Why do I keep getting light strikes? I must need an extended striker.
    8. OK, now it's time for a compensator. Why does thing not cycle anymore?
    9. Screw it, I'm putting all factory internals back in. All I really needed was a minus connector and new sights.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    1. Buy a Glock
    3. Replace the sights
    5. This thing is almost acceptable! Time to mess with the recoil spring. 9lbs sounds right.
    6. Why doesn't my gun cycle reliably anymore? Time to "upgrade" the striker spring. 4.5lbs, here I come!
    9. Screw it, I'm putting all factory internals back in. All I really needed was a minus connector and new sights.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

MindTheGAP

Jan 4, 2018
    Maryland
    1. Buy a Glock
    3. Replace the sights

LMAO, this is too perfect. Meme status achieved lolol.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    1. Buy a Glock
    3. Replace the sights

That about sums it up... but that's half the fun.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    I have 1 Glock, probably will only ever have 1. I don’t mind the sights, in fact my aging eyes kinda likes that big dot. Not to fond of the trigger and safety, I like the Sig’s and S&W’s better. Even it’s blocky body I find more attractive than the Walther’s or HK’s. All in all a decent but far from perfect pistol.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    1. Buy a Glock
    3. Replace the sights

10. I failed to get an MOS model and I marred the slide with a dovetail mount that sits too high; now send the slide out to be cut for a Vortex Red Dot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom