• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    The ruger american predator i have is 1:10 twist. While several people see "22-250" and think "30-45 gr" i see 1:10 and think 52-69 and have tested it with great success.

I'm cerious though, if 75gr will work. We have more speed from 22-250 compaired to 223. 75gr works great in my ar-15 (24" 1:8 bull barrel) but that's 2 more variables.

Because of this abnormal load idea, there's also no load data on it. I've emailed various manufactures and got no feedback other than "buy our manual, which doesn't have it in there either."

i can seat the bullet really long for magazine (magpul hunter stock, which uses pmags for 7.62). I've measured length to the lands and i'm good there too.

What i DON'T know is.. where to safely start to begin testing. Sure i would LIKE a great round but the first concern is "will this blow up in my face?"

is this something that can be deduced from "quick load" or something?

I'm sure trailboss would be safe hahaha but not quite the speeds i'm looking for in that weight group.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    This is NOT what i plan on doing without 3-4 other datapoints but in looking, its smilar to a 224 valkery but has more case capacity and case length. OH GWAIT OMG.. THERE IS

THERE IS LOAD DATA FOR 75GR BULLET IN 22-250! i got the digital version of the hornady reloading manual and BAM SON.. there it is!

case closed.. errr.. open.. as it is.. w/e.. haha now time for science while social distancing!

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    This is NOT what i plan on doing without 3-4 other datapoints but in looking, its smilar to a 224 valkery but has more case capacity and case length. OH GWAIT OMG.. THERE IS

THERE IS LOAD DATA FOR 75GR BULLET IN 22-250! i got the digital version of the hornady reloading manual and BAM SON.. there it is!

case closed.. errr.. open.. as it is.. w/e.. haha now time for science while social distancing!

Nosler publishes data for the heaviest available .224 bullets for .22-250 as well.

Their test barrel is an 8 twist. Whether your 10 twist will stabilize the longest bullets remains to be seen. But pressure wise, your slower twist should yield somewhat lower pressure. How much lower, who knows? But what you should have, is a starting point at least, to work up from carefully.

Let us know how you make out. Sounds like an interesting project. I have a 9 twist myself, but have never tried the longest available bullets in it.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    The only powder listed that i have is imr 4064. guess i'll give it a shot, pun intended, and see if it's worth researching more!

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nosler publishes data for the heaviest available .224 bullets for .22-250 as well.

Their test barrel is an 8 twist. Whether your 10 twist will stabilize the longest bullets remains to be seen. But pressure wise, your slower twist should yield somewhat lower pressure. How much lower, who knows? But what you should have, is a starting point at least, to work up from carefully.

Let us know how you make out. Sounds like an interesting project. I have a 9 twist myself, but have never tried the longest available bullets in it.

Thanks! Previously i was limited by magazine size but the new stock and magazine is like a wet dream that never ends HAHHA sorry.. um.. its great.

I'll post results. Will start slow n low. Work up.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    The only powder listed that i have is imr 4064. guess i'll give it a shot, pun intended, and see if it's worth researching more!

I LOVE 4064 in this cartridge, but I've only shot lighter bullets.

On the Nosler side, they're listing slower powders for the longer heavyweights. Makes sense. H414/W760, the 4350's, Reloder 19 and 22, and others of similar burn rate are listed.

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    A lot of high power shooters have had problems with that bullet. Blow ups, but we use 7 twist at a lower velocity. I'd stick with 69 grain smk

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    the hornady manual lists the bullet for that caliber and powder i have. (4064) i'm not able to push it to speeds of other powders but we'll see how this goes for now.

start... staying w/in the load detail. if it shoots like crap in my 1:10 i'll stop. if it seems to get better w/ more speed.. i'll invest in ohter powders listed that allows me to go faster!

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    A lot of high power shooters have had problems with that bullet. Blow ups, but we use 7 twist at a lower velocity. I'd stick with 69 grain smk

I wonder what the load was. If it was published data and it's blowing up "a lot", i'm making an assumption here but.. i would think it would be a bit more public or data recalled.

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    I wonder what the load was. If it was published data and it's blowing up "a lot", i'm making an assumption here but.. i would think it would be a bit more public or data recalled.

I thought it was pretty common knowledge hornady has a pretty bad rep of going poof. Almost all NRA or CMP highpower shooter a 223 and use 24 or varget or R15, or some similar burn rate. 2700 to 2775 fps is the norm. 20" 1/7 twist.

I've blown up plenty that I wont buy red box for a match rifle ever ever ever again. Both 223 and In the 6.5. Yes good barrels, Krieger or WOA. In my 6.5 it was 10 x,10,x,x,x,10, poof. 600 yard prone.

The saving grace for the OP is the twist rate. Wont have near the stress, even if it is faster velocity.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    I thought it was pretty common knowledge hornady has a pretty bad rep of going poof. Almost all NRA or CMP highpower shooter a 223 and use 24 or varget or R15, or some similar burn rate. 2700 to 2775 fps is the norm. 20" 1/7 twist.

I've blown up plenty that I wont buy red box for a match rifle ever ever ever again. Both 223 and In the 6.5. Yes good barrels, Krieger or WOA. In my 6.5 it was 10 x,10,x,x,x,10, poof. 600 yard prone.

The saving grace for the OP is the twist rate. Wont have near the stress, even if it is faster velocity.

OhhhhhHhhh! You mean spinning the bullet apart because of centrifugal force. Yes. Hahaha. I’ve gotten THAT on several bullets (beyond just hornady). Got them doing loads for 300 win mag.

Enough times, I put a RPSecond calculator on my website and I ask the manufacturer of the bullet. Normally they say “any speed” so I started asking about RPM.. they give a much more finite answer.

Glad we talked about this. It’s valuable info, but calculators are strong and math is predictable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom