• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Thanks. I was just considering the simplest way to log, as well as identify my rounds.

Simplest way to log is paper in a notebook.

That's what I did for many years.

I found a form somewhere and made copies.

Date
    Caliber
    Make of Case
    Powder (manufacturer and type, optional lot number)
    Charge Weight
    Primer (manufacturer and number, optional lot number)
    Bullet (make, weight, type)
    Loaded Overall Length
    Number of rounds
    Any notes

In my data base, I also can add number of times fired for the cases. If I trimmed them. Also if full length sized or not. Also, which press they were loaded on. I can also add the measurement to the ogive for precision rifle rounds.

Speedluvn

Dec 23, 2019
    Baltimore County

Date
    Caliber
    Make of Case
    Charge Weight
    Loaded Overall Length
    Number of rounds
    Any notes

In my data base, I also can add number of times fired for the cases. If I trimmed them. Also if full length sized or not. Also, which press they were loaded on. I can also add the measurement to the ogive for precision rifle rounds.
    That’s an amazing level of detail.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie

Date
    Caliber
    Make of Case
    Charge Weight
    Loaded Overall Length
    Number of rounds
    Any notes

That's a lot of good data, and in a perfect world, we should probably all be striving for that. I haven't reloaded rifle in recent times, although I did when I was growing up under the close supervision of my dad. There was a lot more that went into rifle reloading, and many of those data elements would be awesome for a precision benchrest shooter.

For me, I only ever wanted my reloads to go "boom" in the right way - send the bullet downrange, and not blow up my guns, or not blow burning powder and hot gasses back in my face. Basically, shoot more for the money I spent.

I wish like hell my dad was still around to talk to - he would have known SO much. he started reloading in his early 20s, and continued right up until his untimely passing (massive heart attack) at age 67, and he did it all - competed handgun, benchrest, trap and skeet, and just did a lot of shooting for pure enjoyment. For us, shooting big handguns was cheap because he cast his own bullets, so shoot was a matter of buying powder, primers, and finding the time to cast bullets and reload. In rural Nebraska, time was something we always seemed to have more of.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    That’s an amazing level of detail.

I don't have or collect that data for everything I load.

Like for my common .45 load, it is enough to have power and primer (with lot numbers), bullet and COAL. I have batches of mixed cases for practice/plinking.

But I figure, better to have data I never use that to need data that I did not collect. :D

Speedluvn

Dec 23, 2019
    Baltimore County
    I don't have or collect that data for everything I load.

Like for my common .45 load, it is enough to have power and primer (with lot numbers), bullet and COAL. I have batches of mixed cases for practice/plinking.

But I figure, better to have data I never use that to need data that I did not collect. :D

Thats was a concern when reading your post. I have mixed batches of all cases.

Speedluvn

Dec 23, 2019
    Baltimore County
    That's a lot of good data, and in a perfect world, we should probably all be striving for that. I haven't reloaded rifle in recent times, although I did when I was growing up under the close supervision of my dad. There was a lot more that went into rifle reloading, and many of those data elements would be awesome for a precision benchrest shooter.

For me, I only ever wanted my reloads to go "boom" in the right way - send the bullet downrange, and not blow up my guns, or not blow burning powder and hot gasses back in my face. Basically, shoot more for the money I spent.

I wish like hell my dad was still around to talk to - he would have known SO much. he started reloading in his early 20s, and continued right up until his untimely passing (massive heart attack) at age 67, and he did it all - competed handgun, benchrest, trap and skeet, and just did a lot of shooting for pure enjoyment. For us, shooting big handguns was cheap because he cast his own bullets, so shoot was a matter of buying powder, primers, and finding the time to cast bullets and reload. In rural Nebraska, time was something we always seemed to have more of.
    The only reason I’m reloading is because my father got into it when we would go shooting together. I inherited his equipment. I paid enough attention to understand the process. I always had the intention to inquire about the details “later”.
    My father only reloaded pistols.
    I’m not sure I would have considered reloading without my father paving the way.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Thats was a concern when reading your post. I have mixed batches of all cases.

If I have enough of a particular case, I will keep those separated and load them in a batch.

If I don't have many, for pistol especially, I mix them.

Speedluvn

Dec 23, 2019
    Baltimore County
    I just got back from range! I loaded and shot 9mm, 40 S&W and 300blk. I had a failure to feed in the 40 and 9mm. I’m thinking because of my lack of routine, I loaded from my cleaned but not sized brass.
    My 300 loads all performed flawlessly. They were all once fired but cleaned and
    Ready to load brass.
    Overall, Im gaining confidence in my reloading abilities.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    From my reading, the great debate is to crimp, or not to crimp. What are the benefits to crimping?

Why don’t some reloaders crimp?
    A good rule is everything you bell of expand, you crimp. Don't try and crimp while you seat, even though some dies are set up to. Always crimp as a separate(final) step.

I asked a fellow member just today, "do you crimp .357 Sig?". His answer was, he crimps all semi auto cartridges. As do I.

Speedluvn

Dec 23, 2019
    Baltimore County
    A good rule is everything you bell of expand, you crimp. Don't try and crimp while you seat, even though some dies are set up to. Always crimp as a separate(final) step.

I asked a fellow member just today, "do you crimp .357 Sig?". His answer was, he crimps all semi auto cartridges. As do I.

I’m in the infancy of my reloading, why crimp? Semi auto but no crimping for revolver rounds? I’m trying to understand the purpose for crimping.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    There is crimping or crimping or crimping. :)

If you expand/flare the case mouth, you need to remove the flare. Which is a form of crimping.

For rimless cases, that headspace on the case mouth, you would taper crimp. For most uses, you just crimp enough to remove the flare. But sometimes you want a bit more.

For heavy revolver load, you roll crimp to keep the bullet from coming out during recoil from firing the other rounds and locking up the cylinder.

Speedluvn

Dec 23, 2019
    Baltimore County
    There is crimping or crimping or crimping. :)

If you expand/flare the case mouth, you need to remove the flare. Which is a form of crimping.

For rimless cases, that headspace on the case mouth, you would taper crimp. For most uses, you just crimp enough to remove the flare. But sometimes you want a bit more.

For heavy revolver load, you roll crimp to keep the bullet from coming out during recoil from firing the other rounds and locking up the cylinder.

Curious to know if crimping offers any accuracy gains?

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    That extra tension on the mouth or neck for a semi-auto cartridge also serves to keep the bullet from pushing in and creating a possible pressure situation. My general rule for 9mm, 40, and 45 is to crimp .001" to .003" in from the original dia of the mouth, which is just enough to keep the bullet from being able to push into the case. These cartridges that headspace on the mouth use a taper crimp, whereas many others will use a roll crimp. As you load more, you'll figure it out. As with anything, there are always exceptions and special cases.

Gettin' ready to fire up the grill!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    That extra tension on the mouth or neck for a semi-auto cartridge also serves to keep the bullet from pushing in and creating a possible pressure situation. My general rule for 9mm, 40, and 45 is to crimp .001" to .003" in from the original dia of the mouth, which is just enough to keep the bullet from being able to push into the case. These cartridges that headspace on the mouth use a taper crimp, whereas many others will use a roll crimp. As you load more, you'll figure it out. As with anything, there are always exceptions and special cases.

Gettin' ready to fire up the grill!

Yep. Pay attention to your manuals. They will tell you which is which and for what caliber.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom