• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Sorry - they can override in a Special Session. Constitutionally, it is one of the first actions they are supposed to consider upon convening a new session (other than the first session of the four year term).
    (Source: https://msa.maryland.gov/msa/mdmanual/07leg/html/proc.html#vetoed)

Double woo hoo!!

Okay, so here is what can happen.

Governor Hogan could (or 3/5's of each chamber can petition the Governor to) call any number of special sessions. He called one last year to elect a new Speaker, but they didn't tackle the SB1000 vetos during that session. It's probably not worth calling a special session just to override vetos on feel good legislation anyway. They got most of their licks in this year to justify their existence in their own minds. That means they can and will take up the vetos next session in January.

I double checked my memory.

The special session in 2019 was May 1 and only for a few days.

The gov vetoed SB1000 5/24. http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/mgawebsite/Legislation/Details/sb1000/?ys=2019rs

So... there was no override to consider until they were back in session in Jan.

See MJD438's post above. Now that the bill has been vetoed, it will be considered at the next regular or special session. Given the budget shortfall, I would be surprised if there was not a special session.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    So if they over ride this in January, will the law go into effect immediately, or will it be delayed until Oct. 1, 2021?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    There has not been a special session announced, correct?

I have to imagine that there will be one to deal with the budget well before Jan.

No, no special session announced, and the one they had tentatively planned was cancelled.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Yeah.

That would push it into effect Oct 1 next year. Unless they decide that all the shotgun/rifle murders between October 1 2020 and the opening of the GA in next Jan created a Fudd Emergency, and make the bill effective on passage/signing.

It would only push it off until both chambers over ride the veto. So if the House over rides, then the Senate, the law takes affect the day the Senate over rides the veto.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    I double checked my memory.

The special session in 2019 was May 1 and only for a few days.

The gov vetoed SB1000 5/24. http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/mgawebsite/Legislation/Details/sb1000/?ys=2019rs

So... there was no override to consider until they were back in session in Jan.

See MJD438's post above. Now that the bill has been vetoed, it will be considered at the next regular or special session. Given the budget shortfall, I would be surprised if there was not a special session.

For some reason I was thinking the special session came after his veto. I'll take your word for it. They won't let his veto stand, so it's really a question of whether it takes effect on Oct 1 or some time in Jan/Feb 2021.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    No, no special session announced, and the one they had tentatively planned was cancelled.

All it takes is for them to muster 3/5's of each chamber to petition Governor Larry to call one. That's an easy thing to do if the bodies are willing. They can do so any number of times after the regular session. A special session can last no longer than 30 calendar days. I think they also have limits on compensation during special sessions to just expenses.

I betting that most (other than your diehard lefty) would rather not reconvene until next year. They've already marked enough territory this year.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    For some reason I was thinking the special session came after his veto. I'll take your word for it. They won't let his veto stand, so it's really a question of whether it takes effect on Oct 1 or some time in Jan/Feb 2021.

Effective date doesn't mean crap when you don't plan to comply

Steel Hunter

Nov 10, 2019
    So, that will be phase 4 of the Open Maryland plan - the one where they hike taxes 400% because of the budget shortfall.

Maybe if they quit wasting tax payer money on studies where the outcome is already predetermined we wouldn't have a budget issue. :rolleyes:

Who I am kidding though, MD could have a surplus of money and would immediately find a way to ensure deficit spending.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Do they have the votes to override?

It takes 85 in the House and 29 in the Senate.

HB4 and SB208 each passed with 87 votes in the House and 31 in the Senate.

3 "changed" votes against an override question in either chamber keeps them from becoming law.

NewTwo

Jan 10, 2020
    It takes 85 in the House and 29 in the Senate.

HB4 and SB208 each passed with 87 votes in the House and 31 in the Senate.

3 "changed" votes against an override question in either chamber keeps them from becoming law.

Any idea who we could go after to get those flips?

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Of course. But the Gov will use it to beat them over the head with the violence in B Town

Except the vote will be years prior to the next election cycle, and realistically, no one cares about the violence in Baltimorgue except the voters there, and they're gonna vote D anyway.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Ubergrupenfuehrer Lockdown Larry must have gotten a "knock on the head" and was posing as a conservative Republican yesterday. Back to running the Fourth Reich today.

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    I’m glad he did it, truly. But I get the sense it’s less out of kinship with us and the constitution and more as a stick-in-the-eye at the state’s Dem legislature for blowing off his crime initiatives, which would have actually helped. Still, I’ll take it!

That’s exactly what it was, he didn’t get the bills he told them he wanted so he vetoed everything that would have cost money or have no effect on crime. Had they passed the bills he wanted he would have signed or let everything become law. This isn’t Larry being a 2A supporter, this is Larry taking his ball and going home (for now) because he didn’t get his way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom