• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    As most of you know, we are in a fight with MSP regarding the sale of certain types of firearm receivers, which they claim have to go on a MSP 77R, but do not need an HQL. While I am dealing with that, I have run across an interesting by-product of the MSP's failed logic, and confirmed that MSP will allow lawful ownership of an AR-type receiver (or that of an AK, M1A, etc) to serve as an HQL training exemption. So, you don't need an HQL to buy an AR lower, but once you pick up the lower, you are now exempt from the HQL training.

As part of the Firearms Safety Act of 2013, a person must possess a valid handgun qualification license before they may purchase, rent, or receive a handgun. MD PUBLIC SAFETY § 5-117.1(c)(1). This is a general requirement subject to certain exceptions. If you, or your transaction, do not fall within an exception, a transferee must possess an HQL.

The Maryland State Police shall issue a handgun qualification license to a person who:

(1) is at least 21 years old; (2) is a resident of the State; (3) except as provided in subsection (e) of this section, has demonstrated satisfactory completion, within 3 years prior to the submission of the application, of a firearms safety training course approved by the Secretary that includes:
    (i) a minimum of 4 hours of instruction by a qualified handgun instructor;
    (ii) classroom instruction on: 1. State firearm law; 2. home firearm safety; and 3. handgun mechanisms and operation; and
    (iii) a firearms orientation component that demonstrates the person’s
    safe operation and handling of a firearm; and
    (4) based on an investigation, is not prohibited by federal or State law from purchasing or possessing a handgun.

MD PUBLIC SAFETY § 5-117.1(e), in listing exceptions to the training requirements, provides that:

An applicant for a handgun qualification license is not required to complete a firearms safety training course under subsection (d) of this section if the applicant: (6) lawfully owns a regulated firearm.

MSP's Corporal Edwards has confirmed that, "The purchase of a lower receiver enumerated in statute or their copies would satisfy the waiver of the training requirement under PS 5-117.1 e6."

So, until we get them to change their interpretation, there is some benefit to a completely asinine MSP interpretation.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    Excellent.

My wife is deciding that she wants her own handgun. It would be her first.
    So I can transfer a lower to her and she would be exempt from the training requirement.

Except she thinks a training class is a good idea. I'll have to explain the infringement part to her.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    so you don't need an HQL to buy it, but when you do have it, you are then considered the owner of a regulated firearm which you didn't need the HQL for to purchase in the first place according to MSP?

felony stupid.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    so you don't need an HQL to buy it, but when you do have it, you are then considered the owner of a regulated firearm which you didn't need the HQL for to purchase in the first place according to MSP?

felony stupid.

Troof. It's an unintended consequence, but they have to accept that if they're claiming it needs to go on a 77R.

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    This post touches on something I have been wondering about. So is it your understanding that the MDSP is allowing the purchase of new m14 receivers? I suppose they could never be built into banned configurations. Very interesting...

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    This post touches on something I have been wondering about. So is it your understanding that the MDSP is allowing the purchase of new m14 receivers? I suppose they could never be built into banned configurations. Very interesting...

Sure, why not.

They should be cash and carry, that's what we're fighting with MSP about now.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA

You could build an M14 pistol or SBR.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.

felony stupid.

This was our doing.. it was one of our amendments that used regulated weapon not handgun.. they did not catch it..

This is a win.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Excellent.

My wife is deciding that she wants her own handgun. It would be her first.
    So I can transfer a lower to her and she would be exempt from the training requirement.

Except she thinks a training class is a good idea. I'll have to explain the infringement part to her.

Just take training anyway.. but now its your Choice and you will not be limited to hql approved training...

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I would think it would as the HQL statute simply says "owns a regulated firearm". No requirement or mention of a purchase date.

My .02.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County

felony stupid.
    Lol. Nicely put.

Nate, thanks for moving the football downfield. I guess that the lower training exemption for an HQL will go away if/when the state police allow AR-15 receiver sales via the same mechanism as AR-10 lower sales.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom