• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    I took a custom carbine course all day last Wednesday, and for the last two hours we practiced USPSA style course shoots with reloads. I discovered the limitations of using my HSG triple shingle 9mm magazine holder (for extended Colt style 32 round magazines) on my old battle belt, as mag holder was really designed for PALS-based chest rigs (as opposed to the 5.56 magazine carrier on the belt which worked very well). I thought it would work, it didn't, they are too loose and the wrong angle to make them work right. And I'm not wearing a chest rig to a PCC comp.

What are you guys using to secure the longer magazines COLT SMG style magazines on a competition style belt? I see various brand names out there (Safariland, Race Master, weare-nerd, etc) but really haven't the experience to know the difference. and I assume a thigh based approach is verboten as well?

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Double MP5 Bungee/Cover 844802301923 1 $19.99 from 5.11tactical.com

this is what i got and use. no frills. holds and releases two glock 33/41 round mags pretty good. just thread my belt thru it.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I use the single 5.11tactical MP5 mag holders (4). I prefer them on a molle plate carrier but I can only use that rig in outlaw matches. Tried some of the belt carriers I use for my G34 and did not like that. So a couple of the 5.11 MP5 mag carriers on a belt fits low enough so I can reach them without difficulty.

Racinready300ex

Jun 3, 2009
    Personally I don't plan to run that long of a mag on my belt. I'm going to build one for glock mags. I'll run 140mm glock mags on my belt to reload with, they are much easier to handle and will allow faster reloads. If I'm going to run a big stick I'll just start with it in the gun.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Yeahhhhh, this is the first Amazon order ever that i haven't yet got a same day shipping email...

used to be same day shipping for me, but since Prime, seems they take their time putting stuff in the mail if you (I) don't have Prime. i'm fine waiting for the USPS to do their thing, but not happy when the seller doesn't get it in the mail same or next day. sent amazon a msg on this and they basically said get prime or wait to get something mailed.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    used to be same day shipping for me, but since Prime, seems they take their time putting stuff in the mail if you (I) don't have Prime. i'm fine waiting for the USPS to do their thing, but not happy when the seller doesn't get it in the mail same or next day. sent amazon a msg on this and they basically said get prime or wait to get something mailed.

I have Prime, too. I got free 2-day shipping, but they still haven't sent it out. It's expected to ship October 12th :sad20:

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    Personally I don't plan to run that long of a mag on my belt. I'm going to build one for glock mags. I'll run 140mm glock mags on my belt to reload with, they are much easier to handle and will allow faster reloads. If I'm going to run a big stick I'll just start with it in the gun.

Same here. 40rndr in the gun and 20s on the belt for me. I'm running a scorpion. Had to get custom kydex folded for my mag holders. Was not cheap.

Racinready300ex

Jun 3, 2009
    Same here. 40rndr in the gun and 20s on the belt for me. I'm running a scorpion. Had to get custom kydex folded for my mag holders. Was not cheap.

All I have right now is a lower, I'll probably build it sometime next year. So my ideas are just my theory right now. But, I know from shooting limited that loading 140's off the belt is easy.

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    I have Prime, too. I got free 2-day shipping, but they still haven't sent it out. It's expected to ship October 12th :sad20:

Mine should be here Monday. Not a big deal since I can't run and gun this weekend due to a knee injury, but I hope to try them out somewhere the last weekend of the month (I'm taking the SOTAR armorers class on the 21st, so no shooting that Saturday). I am taking the safety briefing at Anne Arundel Fish and Game off route 50 in Arnold so I can shoot USPSA going forward, it's not clear if they have a competition after that short course...

That said, I need to get safety briefings at a couple more ranges so I can compete there as well. This is taking way longer than I'd hoped...

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    I use the single 5.11tactical MP5 mag holders (4). I prefer them on a molle plate carrier but I can only use that rig in outlaw matches. Tried some of the belt carriers I use for my G34 and did not like that. So a couple of the 5.11 MP5 mag carriers on a belt fits low enough so I can reach them without difficulty.

Just received them and mounted the two carrier on my left side of battle belt (see at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AOCFPN6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ). Fits nice and tight, and I just went through several dry fire and magazine dumps. I think if I start with the 32 round I can reload the 20 round Colt magazines much faster, bullet nose forward. I have had this battle belt for carbine training, and once the ar15 mag versions of this pouch come, I'll be able to use the belt for both.

Thanks for the reference, I will try this later in the month...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom