• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • May 16, 2012
    I'm looking at getting a PCC to shoot in IDPA and 3-gun, specifically a 9mm Glock magazine AR lower and I want to know if a lower such as this one requires an HQL to transfer or not. If it's any difference, I'm planning to use a 16" barrel, and thus build it as a Title I Rifle.

CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    To tack on to this:

If someone gets said 9mm lower, runs it with a 16" upper, and then get a pistol upper with no stock, would that then be illegal?

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

altima98

Apr 6, 2008
    To tack on to this:

If someone gets said 9mm lower, runs it with a 16" upper, and then get a pistol upper with no stock, would that then be illegal?

Pistol --> Rifle --> Pistol = OK

Rifle --> Pistol = no good

Is my any understanding

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    To tack on to this:

Legal if it was a pistol first.

Last edited:

GoldGunsGirls

May 30, 2012
    Rockville
    No cash and carry

Your statements contradict each other. Your first post in this thread states the lower is cash and carry. If that is true, that means it gets transferred as a rifle, because no pistol can be transferred cash and carry in MD.

And if it is a rifle, you can never mount a <16" barrel without getting a SBR tax stamp.

Pistols can become rifles at will, but rifles can never become pistols without a stamp.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Your statements contradict each other. Your first post in this thread states the lower is cash and carry. If that is true, that means it gets transferred as a rifle, because no pistol can be transferred cash and carry in MD.

And if it is a rifle, you can never mount a <16" barrel without getting a SBR tax stamp.

Pistols can become rifles at will, but rifles can never become pistols without a stamp.
    Fixed it.

You may build a pistol into a rifle, then back to a pistol. The lower is usually transferred as "other".

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Correct. Lowers are transferred as an other (unless the FFL checks the wrong box). It is my understanding only the lower of a banned firearm is transferred on a 77r. Because they can be built in to a legal configuration in many cases (like an HBAR AR-15 or an AR pistol). But they are still on the banned list.

Something that isn't on the banned list, its lower transfers as an other and cash and carry after a basic background check. You then build it in to whatever you want. If you put a stock and a 16" barrel on it, you built a rifle and can never take the stock off and a pistol upper on. If you put a pistol upper on it and a brace or bare buffer tube, congrats, you are the proud daddy of a pistol. If you get tired of the pistol you can change it to a rifle and if you regret that and want to go back, you can do the dance as much as you want.

Rifles however can never be pistols. Only rifles (regular or SBR).

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    I find it somewhat funny that throwing a pistol brace onto the lower for five minutes before building out a rifle suddenly changes the legality making a change in the future. I guess I should take pictures or something of every lower I have with a pistol buffer tube just to sleep at night.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I find it somewhat funny that throwing a pistol brace onto the lower for five minutes before building out a rifle suddenly changes the legality making a change in the future. I guess I should take pictures or something of every lower I have with a pistol buffer tube just to sleep at night.

I always did the same think(pictures) and was scolded on here by someone telling me that pictures can be faked and that it wouldn't hold up in court. If that be the case, then it is an un-provable offense. As long as the lower was transferred as "other", and not "rifle", then you should be GTG. The burden of proof rests on the state. Some people sleep under tin foil.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    I always did the same think(pictures) and was scolded on here by someone telling me that pictures can be faked and that it wouldn't hold up in court. If that be the case, then it is an un-provable offense. As long as the lower was transferred as "other", and not "rifle", then you should be GTG. The burden of proof rests on the state. Some people sleep under tin foil.

Innocent until proven guilty right? Unfortunately, the MSP will already have your gun and it will cost several times it's worth to get it back. In other words it doesn't matter if you have the pictures.

DevinRPD

May 3, 2017
    Talbot
    is there anywhere online that has an official stance on this topic? My FFL is waiting for a customer to get their HQL to purchase a AR9 stripped lower but would be awesome if he could just cash and carry. i trust you guys but my FFL needs more proof than what i tell them I read on the forums lol

Major03

Ultimate Member
    Your FFL is ill informed. It is transferred as an "other," requires the 7 day waiting period but no HQL. I've done several transfers of lowers for pistol / SBR builds with MD FFL's and have had no issues.

At the end of the day, your FFL will do what he/she is comfortable with. You may consider transferring your lower via a different FFL.

DraKhen99

Professional Heckler
    Sep 30, 2013
    Oooh, cash and carry for a fully fleshed-out 9mm Glock AR lower? Count me in!

Not to threadjack too far, but I want to put together a 9mm Glock AR pistol. So if any IPs see this and it's legal to do cash & carry (or even wait 7 days), without an HQL, I'm in! :D Source me a pistol upper and the world just got a little brighter.

-John

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Your FFL is ill informed. It is transferred as an "other," requires the 7 day waiting period but no HQL. I've done several transfers of lowers for pistol / SBR builds with MD FFL's and have had no issues.

At the end of the day, your FFL will do what he/she is comfortable with. You may consider transferring your lower via a different FFL.

AR lowers are 77r, 7 day wait, no HQL. MDSP issued guidance on this (see next post).

Theoretically there is not really a "9mm" or "5.56" AR lower, just AR lower. The upper determines the caliber, and that is unknown for the purpose of the the transfer. Of course if you are getting an upper, and a lower, that is a whole rifle.

As far as pistol lowers (i.e. Glock lowers) those are presumed to be pistols, so HQL required for those. Technically those can also be made into frankenrifles (i.e. Mech Tech) but the presumption is it will be a pistol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom