• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I found out recently that I'm going to be a dad. I'm beyond excited! Literally words fail to describe how I feel.

Anyway, one of the things I want to do is buy an heirloom quality fixed blade knife that is both beautiful and functional to hand down to this little person when the time is right. I know, I'm a sentimental sod, but it is what it is.

I'm looking for a hunting knife, primarily deer, and it wont be used for camping/bushcraft.

What would you all recommend I look at?

Thanks fellas!

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Congratulations Dad!

My feeling on both knives and firearms is: if they aren't used they are useless. Heirloom doesn't really compute other than: it CAN be passed down because it lasted long enough.

His first pocket knife might matter more to him, especially if you give it to him. Or that first gut hook if you take him hunting. Or a filet knife if fishing. Maybe even a redneck scaler made out of bottle caps you made together.

The knife you used forever and gave to him... now THAT'S an heirloom.

Pick any useful US-made knife with a decent carbon steel blade and good tempering on the spine.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I'm a big fan of Buck. Low enough cost you can use it yet good enough to last a lifetime. Also, they year mark their blades so you can get one which you know was made the year the kid was born which I think is neat.

With the year mark on the blade, you can also cheat and buy one years later if you had to.

Also, cool to get a firearm which was made they year they were born.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I found out recently that I'm going to be a dad. I'm beyond excited! Literally words fail to describe how I feel.

Anyway, one of the things I want to do is buy an heirloom quality fixed blade knife that is both beautiful and functional to hand down to this little person when the time is right. I know, I'm a sentimental sod, but it is what it is.

I'm looking for a hunting knife, primarily deer, and it wont be used for camping/bushcraft.

What would you all recommend I look at?

Thanks fellas!

Easy question.

Buy something like this, put a little work into it, and add handles, etc. Then give it to your son when he's around 12 years old.

http://www.ultimateknifestore.com/p..._blanks_blades_knives_knife_making_custom.php

or

20126811523-ult_deer_knife_home.jpg

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    If not the Knives of alaska combo, benchmade makes a pretty solid deer knife in s30v.
    https://www.knifecenter.com/item/BM...er-fixed-s30v-blade-with-gut-hook-g10-handles
    Both the KOA and benchmade are designed specifically to be a good hunting knife with excellent steels(although the d2 needs to be cared for a little more than the s30v for corrosion). You'll want something with a blade that isn't too long, as to become unwieldy and dangerous. Something around 4" is all you really need, will a full sized handle. The gut hooks on both are nice, and the cub bear caping combo with the KOA set is great for fine work.
    here is a cheaper source/version

VG-10

Oct 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    Get a Randall Made . They are great knives made in the USA and the company has a great history . There is a five year waiting list to get one made from the manufacturer but AG Russell always has a stock of them .

https://agrussell.com/knives/brand/Randall-Made-Knives

I think a Randall would serve your intended role for generations to come. I know your budget it unlimited, but, buying directly from Randall Made Knives you get 5 years to pay it off, as they have a 5 year backlog. Just a $50. deposit will lock in your price and place in line. Make payments any time in that 5 years or all at once. This will allow you to pick customizable (is that a word:D) options to get the knife made exactly the way you want.

You have a bit of a wait anyway, if your son hasn't been born yet.

You could even order one for yourself so you both could have matching knives, but it would have to be ordered 3 months after the first one because Randall only allows you to order one knife every 3 months.

Check'em out. http://www.randallknives.com/catalog-models/

Edit for Congrats

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom