Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Recreational Shooting

Notices

Old August 4th, 2017, 10:24 PM #1
Proud Eastern Shoreman

Proud Eastern Shoreman

GSR (gun shot residue) at TSA checkpoints

My wife will be traveling internationally in a few weeks. In a discussion with a friend of hers, she mentioned that I would be shooting about 4 days before she is scheduled to depart. The friend told her that would be a bad idea because the TSA sensors will be able to detect any recent GSR that may have transfered from me to her and possibly to her bags in the car. Does anyone have any reliable info on this? How long will GSR remain on a person and clothes? I told her I doubt that it will be a problem because there will be several showers for us both before she travels. I also think TSA doesn't check for GSR, only for chemical compounds associated with predetonated explosives, but I'm not sure of that. And what happens to someone they get a positive hit on for GSR if the test for it?
Any comments will be helpful. Thanks!
Rouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2017, 10:27 PM #2

I have been shooting a couple days before many a flight with no issues. Just don't use your range bag as carry on...
As a mater of fact< I am goint go tomorrow and fly out tues morn.
YMMV
sundazes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2017, 10:31 PM #3

Can't speak for TSA and there sensors but I have went out shooting on Saturday's and on Monday walking through the sensors at numerous Nuclear power plants in our area and never had a problem or concern. And there security is supposed to be pretty high up there.
Doitsouthstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2017, 10:50 PM #4

The friend doesn't know what he or she is talking about. The explosive detection machines used by the TSA look for explosives. They are the Itemizer DX and Itemizer 3 models, depending on which airport you go to. These machines aren't very reliable and sometimes give false positives, but how accurate they are depends a lot on their maintenance and calibration. Having seen the general demeanor and intelligence of TSA security people at various airports across the US, I don't have much hope these machines are regularly maintained and calibrated properly.
wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2017, 11:13 PM #5

I've gone through airports (BWI, SKY Harbor) with carry-on backpacks that had actual explosive traces on them. I was using the bags to carry 50 meter coils of detcord, caps and Comp B, plus some directional cutting charges. Comp B is about the texture of really hard clay, and if you take off the plasti-foil wrapper, it leaves residue on fabric. My bag had some of this stuff on the inside and and on the straps from handling it. If there were sniffer machines in use, they don't work very well, because no one ever looked twice at me.
yakfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2017, 11:30 PM #6
Scribe

Scribe

Have you seen the reports about how bad the TSA is? The can't find actual firearms or drugs, let alone residue from several days ago.
Matlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2017, 12:01 AM #7

Yeah... I've flown on several international flights over the past several years and I've never once been stopped or questioned. The last time I flew out I shot several hundred rounds at the range the day before my flight. I used to use one of my sling bags as a range bag / rifle rest. It's black in places from gun powder residue... It came with me to Korea as my carry on during my last trip there. No issues...
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" -Patrick Henry

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

GSSF member
NRA member
Maryland Rifle Club member

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Pstango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2017, 12:21 AM #8

I got got called out and my hands swept over once. When I asked what they were looking for they said gunpowder. I was shooting the day before and it was not an international flight. I figured they just seen the camo hat and had to check somebody.
Doco Overboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2017, 12:33 AM #9

GSR (gun shot residue) at TSA checkpoints

My wife had been cleaning hey Kiln during the last day of school and that afternoon we were flying out to KC. When she went through the MMW scanner she lit up like a Christmas Tree. Bright yellow spots all over her crotch, inner thighs, sleeves. The kid working the machine made an "oh $hit" face and called a female agent over. The gave her the full body rubdown and then a few test swabs at the fancy pancy tester, but eventually let her through.

Best we could figure here was some high density glazing reside that got all over pants and sleeves while cleaning.

That was a bad TSA trip all around I'm still pissed they confiscated my KC BBQ sauce on the way back. At least in KC they were actually sympathetic to my misfortune.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Honorable people with a good work ethic and strong character have shaped our communities and nation more so than presidents and congressmen. The crisis of character we see in our political leaders is a symptom of our nation's sickness not the cause for the disease.
ToolAA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2017, 02:38 AM #10

THE GSR you speak of is not being looked for on your person...they have NO SNIFFERS that check your person.

I am in the ME and when they swipe your "laptop" when they decide too...they are looking for Cordite, GP, AN, and I am around 25mm TOW Missiles , 90mm rounds all the time on the Ranges. An occasionally I get a hit for cordite and then present my credentials.

Don't have anything in your Carry On Period; knives, gifts, water bottles, whatever, any thing that can signal the incompetent screeners...pack it all into your checked baggage...

It is a pain but you don't have them taking it and trashing it. JMA

"My job is not to represent the world. My job is to represent the U.S. of A."

“Following your convictions means you must be willing to face criticism from those who lack the same courage,”

“in America we don’t worship government, we worship God.”

GYSGT USMC Ret
TheGunnyRet is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Recreational Shooting

Tags
gsr, tsa