Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Maryland Regional Discussions > Central Maryland

Notices

Old June 21st, 2017, 12:12 PM #1

School re-districting in HoCo?

Does anybody know the status of school redistricting in Howard county, specifically around the areas for Hammond/reservoir/appleton High Schools?

Wife tells me its in the HoCo agenda. We live in the appleton HS district, and wife tells me that its getting redistrict to Hammond HS . She has a friend who is a realtor, and her friend told her, bc of the redistricting of these HSs, people are losing money on the value of their homes?

Any info would be appreciated.
pleasant1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2017, 12:18 PM #2
Huckleberry Dillinger

Huckleberry Dillinger

I don't have any information. But that wouldn't surprise me one bit.

The years passed, mankind became stupider at a frightening rate. Some had high hopes the genetic engineering would correct this trend in evolution, but sadly the greatest minds and resources where focused on conquering hair loss and prolonging erections.
j_h_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2017, 12:50 PM #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleasant1911 View Post
Does anybody know the status of school redistricting in Howard county, specifically around the areas for Hammond/reservoir/appleton High Schools?

Wife tells me its in the HoCo agenda. We live in the appleton HS district, and wife tells me that its getting redistrict to Hammond HS . She has a friend who is a realtor, and her friend told her, bc of the redistricting of these HSs, people are losing money on the value of their homes?

Any info would be appreciated.
I have been through the redistricting process twice now. When you start attending the meetings, do not use your property values as an argument. This is not taken into account, even though this is usually a person's major concern.

Better arguments are neighborhood unity. Cohesive history and demographics including FARMS and special needs.

This process is very long, with many opportunities for input. All that said, the wealthiest schools in our area got exactly what they wanted each time.

Good luck. Hope it works out for you.
dontpanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2017, 11:50 PM #4
These are not your droids

Appleton? Do you meam Atholton?

Howard County is perrenially redistricting. plans are here: http://www.hcpss.org/school-planning/

They put out plans A, B, C, ... make tweaks to each one based on "feedback", then decide in Plan Q. Whatever the plan is now will change.
Generally kids move from East to west. east schools are overcrowded, west schools are underutilized. There is also a lot of school construction.

There are 100 reasons for home price changes. I doubt its redistricting in that area. There has been a *lot* of new construction. Why buy an older home when you can get a shiny new one?

Redistricting happens too slowly. Plus, its a sign of demand. New construction, or federal jobs moving out are more likely.
"More importantly, where a state permits individuals to openly carry firearms, the exercise of this right, without more, cannot justify an investigatory detention. Permitting such a justification would eviscerate Fourth Amendment protections for lawfully armed individuals in those states."

http://www.ca4.uscourts.gov/opinions...d/115084.p.pdf
danb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2017, 12:06 AM #5

Read the 2017 feasibility study (on web page above). Figure 5.3

Some polygons are indeed moving from Atholton to Hammond, it affects 337 students, but not until 2018-2019 as I read the changes. gotta find your polygon on the school map and see if it affects you.

But also, 325 students are moving from Hammond to Atholton! Like a circle jerk.

But these are not final and will go through 35 revisions until adopted.... I highly doubt any effect on property prices. As I said, lots of new construction is probably the culprit.
"More importantly, where a state permits individuals to openly carry firearms, the exercise of this right, without more, cannot justify an investigatory detention. Permitting such a justification would eviscerate Fourth Amendment protections for lawfully armed individuals in those states."

http://www.ca4.uscourts.gov/opinions...d/115084.p.pdf
danb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2017, 12:25 AM #6
Peace through strength

Peace through strength

Reservoir is perennially overcrowded with the board saying there's enough capacity in the western district to avoid redistricting until at least 2020 or 2022... One daughter is almost done and the other is pretty entrenched, so redistricting now would be a boon-dongle.

I seriously doubt Reservoir will be redistricted anytime soon. If it does, I would expect kids to the west of the school (out MD216) to be sent to Atholton or maybe River Hill.
whistlersmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2017, 07:14 AM #7

Interesting. Thanks for the info! Atholton is where my neighbors daughter went and wife tells me, we ll be changed to Hammonds, which is not good. Gorman ES, Murray hill MS will be schools my kids will go, but there are kids who lives five minutes away who goes to another ES and MS, but there are kids who live 10-15 minutes away in that same direction who goes to Gorman and Murray Hill. Just new to me.
pleasant1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2017, 10:18 AM #8

It's kind of like the school time change plan. They have an agenda. Whatever they want to do will happen. My kids got redistrected when the built the new middle school, and of course, it will be changed again in this new plan. Luckily my daughter is already in JROTC at Howard, and now my son wants to do the same.

OP, if you are affected by the redistricting, and want to go to Atholton, they have have a very good JROTC program there too.
cap6888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2017, 10:49 AM #9
The Member

The Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleasant1911 View Post
Interesting. Thanks for the info! Atholton is where my neighbors daughter went and wife tells me, we ll be changed to Hammonds, which is not good. Gorman ES, Murray hill MS will be schools my kids will go, but there are kids who lives five minutes away who goes to another ES and MS, but there are kids who live 10-15 minutes away in that same direction who goes to Gorman and Murray Hill. Just new to me.
Here in the Peoples Republic of Montgomery County my kids rode a bus past two middle schools to get to their middle school. A co-worker, 20 years ago, had his kids ride a bus past 4 elementary schools before the bus stopped at their elementary school.

Good Luck!
TheBert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2017, 07:18 AM #10

I used to live in the sliver that jets to the south for Atholton. When we bought the house 20 years ago, it was districted to Hammond. It was at Atholton when we were there and looks like it was staying.
Because the maps don't show all streets, the one way way to find out which polygon you are in is the school bus locator page
https://schoollocator.hcpss.org/SchoolLocator/
Another way is the PDF map
http://www.hcpss.org/f/schoolplannin...ygon201213.pdf

input your info and at the top, it shows you the polygon.

Look at the linked report at the table for each school type and where the polygons are moving (ES=Page 39, MS= Page 40, HS= Page 41).
http://www.hcpss.org/f/schoolplannin...ty-study.pdf?a

For example, if you are in polygon 2011 (Atholton HS), look at page 41 Sending under Atholton, you will see Atholton is sending polygon 2011 to Hammond at the top row there

HC will listen to people at hearings and do what they want in the end (unless you have direct influence with the "deciders").
It will affect property values WITHOUT A DOUBT!!!! anyone who says otherwise is not experienced in what parents of kids look for in a house. School district and the school ratings play a major part for MANY home buyers and when you reduce the buyers looking at your house, prices go down and sell time takes longer. Our house had good school ratings for ES,MS, HS and sold in 4 days (plus it looked really good).

My new place is not changing, nor is our old place

Last edited by Melnic; June 26th, 2017 at 08:26 AM.
Melnic is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Maryland Regional Discussions > Central Maryland