Reloaders: What are you building, casting or cooking?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    What have you been working on?
    Casting some boolits?
    Building some reloads?
    Case Prep?
    Cooking a new lube?

Don't want to start a new thread? Well, just post it here. I'm starting this thread to be a casual topic for people to just post what they are working on. Hopefully, this will increase the activity in this thread. If you want to post here what your working on for a response or no response at all, just post it. Others feel free to comment or post your own activity. Don't want to tell others what you are working on? That's fine, simply don't post.

I expect a 3% participation rate from everyone here.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I"ll go first.
    I casted up some Lee 174g 8mm mauser boolits.
    Alox and gas checks.
    I casted up about 200, but started with about 40 in total to lube and size.
    I lubed, then sized in a lee sizer, then lubed again.

This is for my reduced load 8mm mauser reloads for my GEW 88.

I am still looking to figure out what powder to use.
    I have some of the following to consider cause I have about 1/4 lb of each left over
    Varget, H335, IMR4895, IMR4227

I have access for some shotgun powders too.

I have done cast lead 38spl and that was piece of cake, but this is my 2nd attempt at cast lead for rifle (was not happy about first attempt).
    Comments suggestions welcome:

Attachments

• FullSizeRender(19).jpg
      FullSizeRender(19).jpg
      56.9 KB · Views: 393
    • IMG_2164.JPG
      IMG_2164.JPG
      48.3 KB · Views: 472

EKing

NRA Benefactor
    Aug 12, 2016
    Sykesville
    Still trying to figure out if I like the 200 grain ELD-X bullets in my 308Win or not. They shot fine out of my DPMS GII, velocity was around 2200 pfs. Haven't shot them out of my 30-06 yet.

My biggest headache right now is 45 Colt. With 230 or 250 grain .451 and .452 bullets and W296 powder, I am getting massive blow-by of the cases, so much that some of them stick in the cylinder. The brass is not sealing up the chamber and there are piles of unburned powder left behind. I'm pretty sure my sizing die is squeezing the brass down too much because the outside diameter of my sized cases is about .01 smaller than factory ammo that does not give me issues.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Still trying to figure out if I like the 200 grain ELD-X bullets in my 308Win or not. They shot fine out of my DPMS GII, velocity was around 2200 pfs. Haven't shot them out of my 30-06 yet.

My biggest headache right now is 45 Colt. With 230 or 250 grain .451 and .452 bullets and W296 powder, I am getting massive blow-by of the cases, so much that some of them stick in the cylinder. The brass is not sealing up the chamber and there are piles of unburned powder left behind. I'm pretty sure my sizing die is squeezing the brass down too much because the outside diameter of my sized cases is about .01 smaller than factory ammo that does not give me issues.

are you roll crimping the 45 loads? if so how much and how tight?

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Right now im currently setting up to experiment with the 300rum. I have some 162gr ap bullets i want to play with and see what they will do around 3600fps.

EKing

NRA Benefactor
    Aug 12, 2016
    Sykesville
    are you roll crimping the 45 loads? if so how much and how tight?

Yes, I'm roll crimping them, about a medium crimp. Since I am shooting plated bullets, I cannot put a heavy crimp on them. Maybe I'll go back to the jacketed 230 grain .451 bullets and crimp the snot out of them. I'd rather shoot the plated bullets due to cost.

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery

Just a quick check but I'm not finding any recommended loads for W296 on the Hodgdon (Winchester) site. They offer 231, 572, and AutoComp for .45 colt under the Winchester powders. W296 is a slower burning powder which may be your problem. W296 is showing up for 454 Casull and larger calibers.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia

Don't full length resize them. Your decapping/resizing die doubles as a 45 ACP die. Resize halfway and get the decapping pin out further so that works.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Yes, I'm roll crimping them, about a medium crimp. Since I am shooting plated bullets, I cannot put a heavy crimp on them. Maybe I'll go back to the jacketed 230 grain .451 bullets and crimp the snot out of them. I'd rather shoot the plated bullets due to cost.

I don't reload the 45 but I do a lot of reloading of 44 and as someone below has said don't full length resize, it shrinks the casings too much and stretches them. also I love 2400 for big bore pistols but it is also messy but I never see a bunch of left over powder.

also have you tried cast boolits or casting your own? its saves a LOT.

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    I'm trying to duplicate accurate bunny fart target loads for my .38 Ruger Security Six. The only ammo I have ever shot out of it were full wadcutter reloads from a gun shop in Branchville (Hollywood) which is long gone. Bought and loaded up some Hornady 148g hollow base wad cutters and need to find a place to shoot them now.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City

Curious what make and model of 45 Colt firearm you're shooting those loads in that you're having problems with? What charge weight of W296 and primer with those plated bullets?

Spur

May 1, 2011
    Harford County
    Working On

Currently running .223, which is a constant activity as I shoot a a couple hundred weekly. Getting ready to run some 30-06 for the 1903 Springfield. I will load 170 gr, GC RN lead, with Unique or Trailboss for 100 yrds.. I found that be bounced around by military loads is lacking in appeal as I get older. Also running some 6.5 Carcano for my 1985 Vetterii. These will be .264 bullets in front of 14 grains of Unique or Trailboss.If I get bored I may starrt running some pistol rounds on the progressives. Retirement is not boring if you are a shooter/relaoder!

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    I'm trying to duplicate accurate bunny fart target loads for my .38 Ruger Security Six. The only ammo I have ever shot out of it were full wadcutter reloads from a gun shop in Branchville (Hollywood) which is long gone. Bought and loaded up some Hornady 148g hollow base wad cutters and need to find a place to shoot them now.

Now there's a blast from the past!

2.8 grains of Bullseye by chance? Or maybe 3.0 of W231? Either should be good, mild and very accurate loads in that fine revolver.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    What have you been working on?
    Casting some boolits?
    Building some reloads?
    Case Prep?
    Cooking a new lube?

Don't want to start a new thread? Well, just post it here. I'm starting this thread to be a casual topic for people to just post what they are working on. Hopefully, this will increase the activity in this thread. If you want to post here what your working on for a response or no response at all, just post it. Others feel free to comment or post your own activity. Don't want to tell others what you are working on? That's fine, simply don't post.

I expect a 3% participation rate from everyone here.

Melnic, this is a great thread idea! No telling what'll come up of interest here.

Presently inspecting .223 cases I latched onto today prior to tumbling, and I'll inspect them again once clean. Some case flaws I find are easier to detect in dirty brass. Others once brass is clean.

No matter how you go about it, or what your case prep process is, you definitely want good sound cases prior to reloading.

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    Now there's a blast from the past!

2.8 grains of Bullseye by chance? Or maybe 3.0 of W231? Either should be good, mild and very accurate loads in that fine revolver.

I researched the poo out of this load and both that you mentioned are by far the most talked about. Problem is, I have 2 lifetimes worth of Clays so I'm trying to use that in everything possible.

I also wish I could get my hands on the Remington HBWC but it's limited production and unavailable at the moment. The diameter of the Remington wadcutter is .360 which may even be more accurate in my gun. My cylinder bullet guide diameter is .359 and from what I read a .001 over size bullet is a perfect fit. I'm pretty sure the reloads from that gun shop used the Remington as the exposed front has a unique shape that matches what I remember.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    I researched the poo out of this load and both that you mentioned are by far the most talked about. Problem is, I have 2 lifetimes worth of Clays so I'm trying to use that in everything possible.

I also wish I could get my hands on the Remington HBWC but it's limited production and unavailable at the moment. The diameter of the Remington wadcutter is .360 which may even be more accurate in my gun. My cylinder bullet guide diameter is .359 and from what I read a .001 over size bullet is a perfect fit. I'm pretty sure the reloads from that gun shop used the Remington as the exposed front has a unique shape that matches what I remember.

The older guys have the Bullseye and W231 loads with 148grain HBWC committed to memory. The younger guys are on Google, asking WTF is a HBWC?? :)

Never used Clays myself, but it's not too far from Bullseye on the burn chart. Thinking you'll find a charge weight that'll work fine for you. Never shot that .360 Remington bullet either, but I've used a ton of the Hornady 148's. Thinking you may well be fine with that bullet also. Obturation of that soft swaged bullet may make the diameter a non-issue.

Let us know how you make out with your loads!

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    The older guys have the Bullseye and W231 loads with 148grain HBWC committed to memory. The younger guys are on Google, asking WTF is a HBWC?? :)

Never used Clays myself, but it's not too far from Bullseye on the burn chart. Thinking you'll find a charge weight that'll work fine for you. Never shot that .360 Remington bullet either, but I've used a ton of the Hornady 148's. Thinking you may well be fine with that bullet also. Obturation of that soft swaged bullet may make the diameter a non-issue.

Let us know how you make out with your loads!

I think you are right about the Hornadys doing fine. I was really surprised at how consistent the weight of extruded bullets are. The cast and plated stuff that I have can easily go a few grains in either direction but these are holding a couple of tenths. One of the benefits of the larger Remingtons is you may not need to resize the brass if your cylinder is in spec.

2.5 grains of Clays seems to be the most popular for this load so that's what I'll be working around. I may get a chance this weekend or next to test them out and will post the results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom