• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Thank goodness for YouTube. I found a video on how to field strip and lube one of these rifles.

The entire rifle was bone dry, not a trace of lube anywhere. Per this guy's guidance, I stripped down the rifle, applied grease and oil where appropriate, and put her back together. Ran the action and she's good to go. I loaded up two magazines, one with Wolf 7.62 and one with my reloads. Both ran flawlessly. I put 40 rounds through, and let the two guys in the next lane shoot 3 each. The steel buttplate was not pleasant to shoot with summer clothing, but it was still a satisfying experience.

Thank goodness for YouTube. I found a video on how to field strip and lube one of these rifles.

The entire rifle was bone dry, not a trace of lube anywhere. Per this guy's guidance, I stripped down the rifle, applied grease and oil where appropriate, and put her back together. Ran the action and she's good to go. I loaded up two magazines, one with Wolf 7.62 and one with my reloads. Both ran flawlessly. I put 40 rounds through, and let the two guys in the next lane shoot 3 each. The steel buttplate was not pleasant to shoot with summer clothing, but it was still a satisfying experience.

Thanks for sharing this. I've applied grease to whatever I can, but was afraid of taking it apart and ending up with a pile of parts

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    By the way, who's running optics on theirs and what kind? I have considered it but I just can't pull myself away from the classic irons.

I know how you feel. My eyes are getting to the point where I can't use peep sights without my special shooting glasses. As for a buckhorn sight (or any type of sight mounted on the barrel), well I can't use those AT ALL. I've had to put scopes on all my rifles that had them.

Soon I'm guessing it will be the same for peep sights which will also mean a scope for service rifle competition.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I was thinking about getting a walnut upper handguard until I read this thread https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=126546 It's amazing how much firearms knowledge is here.

ps I'm not putting optics on mine, especially after seeing what's involved.

I have a Basset Machine high mount on my NA M1A (pre 2013 frenzy buy). It is mounted with a 4-16X42 PA scope and holds zero very well. The Basset is nice because you don't have to remove anything from the rifle. You can still use the irons and it returns to within a 1/2" of zero after removal. The torque feature with the wrench works really well and it stores easily in the butt stock. I just made sure to degrease the screw hole and it doesn't work loose. Can hit a 12" gong at 500yds repeatedly. I also bought the Schuster adjustable gas plug for shooting FGMM 168s and a bipod swivel.

http://www.bassettmachine.com/prod_home_buynow.htm

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1004719353/schuster-m1a-adjustable-gas-plug-steel-parkerized

https://www.amazon.com/MIM-Manufact...UTF8&qid=1507653813&sr=8-2&keywords=m1a+bipod

bfoosh006

Aug 19, 2017
    Checkmate mags are GTG.... Thermold's can be hit or miss... ( they will not work in my M21 .. period. )

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    By the way, who's running optics on theirs and what kind? I have considered it but I just can't pull myself away from the classic irons.

Running optics on an M1a with a regular stock feels really forced to me. They do make some great scope mounts, but you will also have to modify your stock with a pad or something to get a good cheek weld. Optics on an EBR type M1a is fine, but IMO it just looks out of place to put glass on top the classic wood and steel that you have. I don't shoot it as much as I should, but I love my SA M1a. It's a great shooting rifle.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    This looks like something I'd be interested in doing. I think that the military, during the early stages of the War on Terror, used this setup for SDMs.
    18d443431485643f822f3761bc41aa93.jpg

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    This looks like something I'd be interested in doing. I think that the military, during the early stages of the War on Terror, used this setup for SDMs.
    18d443431485643f822f3761bc41aa93.jpg

That's what my rifle looks like minus the leather sling, I have a black nylon sling on mine. It's a little heavy but I don't go running around with it. I also added the extended bolt hold open button so you can close the bolt with your left hand instead of racking the charging handle. It makes things easier, its now like loading an AR, your right hand stays in place and your left hand does all the work.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    That's what my rifle looks like minus the leather sling, I have a black nylon sling on mine. It's a little heavy but I don't go running around with it. I also added the extended bolt hold open button so you can close the bolt with your left hand instead of racking the charging handle. It makes things easier, its now like loading an AR, your right hand stays in place and your left hand does all the work.

They call that the “stranger”? :innocent0 :lol2:

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    I kick myself weekly for not buying one of these before the ban. Trained with it in 1967.
    Would have been a nice brother to my Correct Grade M-1 and my M-1 Carbine.

an m1a is actually the only thing I ended up buying before the ban. I already had an AR, but instead of going for another 1-2, I ended up with a national match M1A.

Its almost looks like the douglas barrel is now an option on these on springfield website, unless I see it wrong. I thought the upgraded barrel was standard in NM models.

Anywho, my only regret is not opting for the socom model as its much more suited to me then a " trophy" NM model.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    My standard model came with NM sights, but standard trigger and barrel. I'm not going to add optics to it, in spite of how cool it would look. I might get a SOCOM later, but I have other fish to fry for the next few months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adamc904

Latest threads

Top Bottom