• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Don't know how much Interstate riding everyone likes to do but old Rt.40 from Hancock to Cumberland is a great ride. A quick look at a map and Mt. Savage Rd. to 36, 47 and 219 looks like it will get you to Somerset although I've never been that way. Again old Rt. 40 to 219 in Grantsville might be easier. Instead of 219 all the way to Somerset you can turn onto 653 in Garrett, go through town and take Shortcut Road to Somerset.

Depending on time I was thinking about taking 40 to Cumberland, good call.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Okay, I have finally had some time to devote to doing some planning. Looks like it will be an overnite trip for those that wish. If you just want to spend the day it's an easy trip back on the slab and should be home before dark if that matters.

I currently have six rooms with double beds booked at the Comfort Inn in Somerset. Couldn't book more in just one name. I have four of those rooms already spoken for by the following:

1. Stoveman & Mrs. Stove
    2. Welder516 & Mrs. Welder and son
    3. Andy and Linda and son Drew
    4. Drahken 99
    5. DaveMP
    6. AppleHD

Here are the final lodging accommodations. If for some reason I have this wrong and you WILL NOT be spending the night in Somerset let me know so I can cancel the reservation for that room.

Right now we're going to have almost 20 riding to the Memorial, really good turn out, looking forward to meeting you guys and gals.

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    We were originally going to stay in Cumberland overnight on our return, but that has changed as well. We need to be home Saturday night.

So, with that said, for those of you who are NOT staying overnight with Stoveman & crew, you can join us for the return trip. Most likely route is PA30 east to I-70 (I know...yuck), south into MD and then catch Old 40 at the earliest point to head back to Carroll Co.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    I am looking forward to the ride with brothers & sisters in arms , and to show our love of the United States and never to forget those that lost their lives that day .

God Bless the USA .

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    We were originally going to stay in Cumberland overnight on our return, but that has changed as well. We need to be home Saturday night.

So, with that said, for those of you who are NOT staying overnight with Stoveman & crew, you can join us for the return trip. Most likely route is PA30 east to I-70 (I know...yuck), south into MD and then catch Old 40 at the earliest point to head back to Carroll Co.

It's been years since I've taken that route. 30 to Breezewood is a great ride. There's a back road from Breezewood to Hancock if you want to miss some of the interstate.

Tomcat

May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    I'm leaving for 7 Springs after work this evening. Having some problems with my trailer so the bike won't be making the trip up. I'd still like to meet up with everyone on Saturday afternoon at the site. Stoveman, I'll PM you my phone # if you'll give me a call from Cumberland or somewhere along the way so I can plan accordingly. Also would like to do dinner with any or all of the crew on Sat. evening.

Tomcat

May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    For those who can, CCW should be permitted at the memorial (National Park) but not inside the visitors center if I'm reading the laws correctly. I usually don't carry around Somerset but do if I head anywhere closer to Pittsburgh.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I'm leaving for 7 Springs after work this evening. Having some problems with my trailer so the bike won't be making the trip up. I'd still like to meet up with everyone on Saturday afternoon at the site. Stoveman, I'll PM you my phone # if you'll give me a call from Cumberland or somewhere along the way so I can plan accordingly. Also would like to do dinner with any or all of the crew on Sat. evening.

Got it, thanks. I'll call you from Cumberland, from there it should take us about 1.5 hours (63 miles) on the back roads up to the Memorial. I want to get a group shot at the entrance sign right off Rt 30 before we go in, this would be a great place to meet.

For those who can, CCW should be permitted at the memorial (National Park) but not inside the visitors center if I'm reading the laws correctly. I usually don't carry around Somerset but do if I head anywhere closer to Pittsburgh.

Correct, OC or CC is permitted in the park, just not in visitor center building. The bathrooms are in a separate unstaffed building so you are also GTG there.

Tomcat

May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    Time permitting, that would be great. Maybe write down some directions for me, or a road name(s)/number(s)?

All I remember is turning right about a block before the I-70 intersection and following it.

Looking on a map it looks like S. Breezewood Rd. then it joins/turns into Old 126 which also is Rt. 643 and Flickerville Rd. until it runs into Rt.522/Great Cove Rd. which joins I-70 near Warfordsburg.

DraKhen99

Professional Heckler
    Sep 30, 2013
    I just heard from a good buddy of mine that he's in for the trip, and will be splitting my room with me, if that's ok.

He'll be riding to the Park & Ride with me.

-John

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom