Go Back   Maryland Shooters > General > Industry Partners > Firearms Training > School of the American Rifle

Notices

Old August 18th, 2017, 08:23 PM   #21
ericoak
don't drop Aboma on me

Thanks, they are blowing them out because they are apparently coming out with a DPMS GII style .308.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-p...516445088.html

I think it's Nitride, I'd prefer phosphate, but better than NiB.

Would only want as a cheap .308 gun to run Wolf through and let rookies who can't hit anything anyways shoot.

Old August 19th, 2017, 07:18 AM   #22
boss281

Slightly off topic but do you provide these services fir the 9mm carbine pattern? I have a 1995 Colt 6450 that is...just not right.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
boss281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2017, 09:05 AM   #23
jr88
Get a Rhythym

Chad as always I appreciate you sharing all the information you have with everyone. I have been holding off on an AR-10 because I can't justify a 2K model and don't trust the value priced to function out of the box. One question; in addition to the things listed in this thread I have read multiple threads on other sites as well and many people seem to think one glaring problem with an AR-10 vs AR-15 is the need for an adjustable gas block. I am not informed enough to validate this based on the two cartridge differences. Do you have any insight on the need for AGB on a .308 based AR ? Thanks in advance !

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
George Washington
jr88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2017, 04:38 PM   #24
clandestine

AR15 Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr88 View Post
Chad as always I appreciate you sharing all the information you have with everyone. I have been holding off on an AR-10 because I can't justify a 2K model and don't trust the value priced to function out of the box. One question; in addition to the things listed in this thread I have read multiple threads on other sites as well and many people seem to think one glaring problem with an AR-10 vs AR-15 is the need for an adjustable gas block. I am not informed enough to validate this based on the two cartridge differences. Do you have any insight on the need for AGB on a .308 based AR ? Thanks in advance !
Thank you my friend.

I also believe that an AGB is a necessity for a .308/7 .62 NATO.

SLR is the only adjustables I like.
clandestine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2017, 08:08 PM   #25
jr88
Get a Rhythym

Quote:
Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
Thank you my friend.

I also believe that an AGB is a necessity for a .308/7 .62 NATO.

SLR is the only adjustables I like.
Appreciate it Chad !

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
George Washington
jr88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2017, 05:33 PM   #26
bfoosh006

Quote:
Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
I worked on a TON of .308 Pattern AR's as a Gunsmith at Scotts. I actually developed my AR reliability work by improving AR10/DPMS and a few Knights SR25's. I have lots of experience wth them, but since I left Scotts, I have not touched them because I didnt have the proper tools to service the Uppers.

My buddy Irv decided he wanted to a .308 AR and wanted me to work it over. I said no dice, we dont have the right tools and gauges...

So he bought them just to build/rebuild what he planned to purchase.

Irv purchased a Palmetto State Armory PA-10 Stripped Lower, LPK, and Assembled PA-10 Upper.

Last Sunday we spend ALL DAY in the trailer rebuilding the PA-10. Here are the findings:

PROBLEMS
-YFS marked Gas Key Screws (Junk)
-Gas Key Bolt Torque was excessive for YFS Bolts (They will break at 58 IN#)
-NiB Gas Key Fractured when we attempted to restake the replacement Gas Key Bolts
-Gas Key Deck was warped heavily (No Sealant was used)
-Gas Block Misaligned (Per Bore Scope Inspection)
-Upper Receiver Face was out by .003
-Headspace was short on a .308 GO and had to be lapped (I prefer Autoloaders to close on a 7.62 NATO GO)
-Chamber was tight and would not allow a hand inserted round to fall out under gravity
-Feed Ramps were clickers and ROUGH
-Rail Nut was installed to probably 150 FT# and NO Lubricant/Grease was on the threads.
-FCG Bores in the Lower were oversize by .002
-Receiver Extension/Buffer Tube was drilled too deep (Allowed Carrier to bottom out on Buffer Tube/Lower)
-Buffer Roll Pin was protruding on both sides

FIXES
-Installed Colt Gas Key Screws
-Decked Gas Key and Sealed with Loctite #620
-Installed Colt Gas Key (Chrome Lined)
-Gas Key Bolt Torqued to 58 IN# and Gas Key Staked
-INstalled SLR Adjustable Gas Block (Aligned via Bore Scope)
-Upper Receiver Face was Lapped/Trued
-Headspace was lapped to close on a .308 GO (I did not lap to 7.62 NATO GO at this time)
-Polished Chamber so hand inserted round could fall out under gravity
-Barrel Extension Feed Ramps were re-cut and polished
-Barrel Was bedded with Loctite #620, Aeroshell 64/33MS was used on the threads and the Rail Nut was installed to 40 FT#
-Installed LaRue MBT Trigger (If the Hammer/Trigger Pins walk, I will install .157 oversize Hammer and Trigger Pins)
-Added 2 Quarters in Receiver Extension/Buffer Tube (Prevented Carrier to bottom out on Buffer Tube/Lower)
-Ground Buffer Roll Pin to prevent protrusion

He will give me a range report soon.

"-Upper Receiver Face was out by .003"

I will be checking and correcting mine.

"-Rail Nut was installed to probably 150 FT# and NO Lubricant/Grease was on the threads."

May I ask what method you used to remove the barrel nut ?

"-Chamber was tight and would not allow a hand inserted round to fall out under gravity"

I also polished my Nitrated chamber.. rounds now also drop freely.
I think I will polish the SS barrels chamber as well.

Very insightful and informative. Thank You !!

I have more items to check / fix...
bfoosh006 is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > General > Industry Partners > Firearms Training > School of the American Rifle