Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Maryland Regional Discussions > Central Maryland

Notices

Old June 28th, 2017, 10:58 AM #21
Habitual Testifier

Habitual Testifier

I took a little time to look at the moves, it seems like gerrymandering for the sake of diversity.

Oakland Mills loses 505 kids and gains 565 kids. (net +60)
Atholton loses 951 kids and gains 786 kids. (net -165)
Hammond loses 467 kids and gains 337 kids. (net -130)

Thousands of kids being moved around for little net effect.
Moving 200 kids from River Hill to Glenelg makes sense if its re-striking a boundary due to expanding population.
Carving up neighborhoods for the sake of change doesn't make sense.

"The heart of the matter then is not the existence of guns, knives or pressure cookers, it is this: Itís the evil lurking in the hearts of people. And there is only one solution to that problem.
His name is Jesus Christ, and the change He brings to a personís heart is the ultimate cure for the violence and wickedness that surrounds us." Jim Daly
pbharvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2017, 02:47 PM #22

I guess the school admins in HoCo believe, if you put bad kids in good schools and good kids in bad schools, schools will all be better. Hammond HS is the worst. lots of students who will stop being semi productive after HS, and start getting on the system for their future income.
pleasant1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2017, 03:37 PM #23

The changes are bad for some schools as it pushes kids from lower property value housing into some schools and kids from higher property value housing out. The gain/loss per school is to shift polygons from one side in and the other side out.
I only looked at the movements near me and from what I can say, most of it makes sense to me. The movement local to me pushed polygons that were closer to the new schools to the new schools. SOME of the polygon movement for Atholton actually pulls homes that are already closer to the new school they are moving to. Some polygons that moved from Atholton to Hammond were Hammond 10+ years ago. I actually would have thought my Middle School-er would have moved to a different school then currently distracted but that did not happen (yet). since we changed schools for a home move. The other school I felt would be just as good (maybe better as kids on her hockey team are at the other one and its closer to the HS).
If you want to compare to Gerrymandering, the current Atholton district is more like that as it snakes through and pulls higher income and newer homes into an area that is much older.

The way they show statistics to try to show math tests etc I think just will bring people to get mad as some schools will go down. They are better off just not even mentioning that. I think it should just be about balancing out population and geography. Otherwise just call it "bussing"

Unless you can put a halt to home building, we will see this continue in 5+ years from now.
Melnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2017, 03:49 PM #24

The shift is pretty much to move kids from the east toward the west, and in my specific case to find a place for the kids whose parents are buying in the new Turf Valley development of 1,500 units wherein an ES is not slated to be built until 2029. Who the heck comes up with this nonsense? The gist of it is that there is more unused capacity out west where there has been less development because of the lack of sewer/water. The east side of HoCo has been developed like a SOB and the schools have not been able to keep pace.

Kids that live close to my kids' ES will now have to go to Bushy Park ES. Essentially, these kids live east of route 32 and will have to go to Bushy Park ES on route 97.

As far as the "diversity" thing is concerned, I have about had it with both "diversity" and "equity". Don't get me wrong, I am fine with people of differing races, religions, etc. moving into my neighborhood, but we bought in a more expensive neighborhood so we are not around the lower economic levels. I seriously mind "diversity" when it is across the economic stratosphere. Having attended PTACHC meetings for an entire year, and hearing the crap that came from the east side, I don't want my kids going to school with their kids. They want to send their kids to school sick, let the school nurse etc. determine that they are sick, and then pick them up after school. One lady said, "Not all of us can afford to take a day off of work to take care of a sick child." My head just about exploded. Well, if that is the case, then don't have kids, don't buy more than you can afford, etc., but sure as hell don't send your sick kid to school to infect everybody else just because you have to go make a dollar to make ends meet and would prefer to leave your sick child in the nurse's office instead of picking them up from school early.

My kids' ES is slated to go from 85% capacity to 141% capacity and a $4,000,000 capital outlay will need to be made to the septic system. Kids from Turf Valley will end up going to my kids' elementary school and then once ES #45 is built, they will have to be redistricted again. Granted, that is in 2029, when my currently unborn child will be done with elementary school. Complete nonsense if you ask me.

Personally, I want to know who is footing the bill for the Turf Valley ES #45, why it is taking so long to build it, and how does Turf Valley and other development in the area affect the MS and HS attendance?

What I am hearing through the grape vine is that some white person has complained that there are no minorities on the redistricting committee. Well, from what I have heard through the grapevine, not a single minority applied to be on the redistricting committee. Now, the grapevine is right about 80% of the time, so take that with a grain of salt.

Lastly, great post by Melnic with all the pertinent information included in it.

Without a written agreement between you and I, there is no attorney/client relationship. Do NOT rely on what is posted by me or others on this chatboard as sound legal advice. Hire an attorney of your choosing, pay for the advice/research, and rely on that. I discuss topics of interest on this board, I do not provide legal advice for you to rely on.
fabsroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2017, 08:09 PM #25
TV Personality

TV Personality

Part of the overcrowding at certain schools in the eastern part of the county is that the housing developments are not supposed to be built unless the local skrool(s) has the capacity to handle the new influx of chil'ren. But, after just a few years the development gets to proceed regardless of the current or projected capacity of the skrools. We are going through this with our church and the development of a new 88 townhome community next door. The developers all know that they submit all the paperwork and just have to wait the 3-5 years after approval and then it's game on.
Old June 30th, 2017, 08:15 PM #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoveman View Post
Part of the overcrowding at certain schools in the eastern part of the county is that the housing developments are not supposed to be built unless the local skrool(s) has the capacity to handle the new influx of chil'ren. But, after just a few years the development gets to proceed regardless of the current or projected capacity of the skrools. We are going through this with our church and the development of a new 88 townhome community next door. The developers all know that they submit all the paperwork and just have to wait the 3-5 years after approval and then it's game on.
And therein is the problem. The developers, and indirectly the new homeowners, should have to bear the burden of the construction of new schools to support the development. The current taxpayers should not have to foot the burden of people that are coming in. Then again, here in Howard County we wait 15 years after a development is started to build a new elementary school. So, I guess the "new" homeowners in the development will have paid their dues into the system before they see that new shiny elementary school in their now 15 year old development. A couple can move into that development, have a child, and the child would be in high school before that elementary school is built.

I can do without most of this "growth". In fact, I could do without all of it. Didn't really need the new Harris Teeter and all the garbage that goes along with it, but like moths to a flame, my wife and I shop there anyway.

Without a written agreement between you and I, there is no attorney/client relationship. Do NOT rely on what is posted by me or others on this chatboard as sound legal advice. Hire an attorney of your choosing, pay for the advice/research, and rely on that. I discuss topics of interest on this board, I do not provide legal advice for you to rely on.
fabsroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2017, 08:19 PM #27
Habitual Testifier

Habitual Testifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabsroman View Post

As far as the "diversity" thing is concerned, I have about had it with both "diversity" and "equity". Don't get me wrong, I am fine with people of differing races, religions, etc. moving into my neighborhood, but we bought in a more expensive neighborhood so we are not around the lower economic levels. I seriously mind "diversity" when it is across the economic stratosphere. Having attended PTACHC meetings for an entire year, and hearing the crap that came from the east side, I don't want my kids going to school with their kids. They want to send their kids to school sick, let the school nurse etc. determine that they are sick, and then pick them up after school. One lady said, "Not all of us can afford to take a day off of work to take care of a sick child." My head just about exploded. Well, if that is the case, then don't have kids, don't buy more than you can afford, etc., but sure as hell don't send your sick kid to school to infect everybody else just because you have to go make a dollar to make ends meet and would prefer to leave your sick child in the nurse's office instead of picking them up from school early.
I'm just curious at what dollar figure of gross family income you start finding people unsuitable as neighbors?

"The heart of the matter then is not the existence of guns, knives or pressure cookers, it is this: Itís the evil lurking in the hearts of people. And there is only one solution to that problem.
His name is Jesus Christ, and the change He brings to a personís heart is the ultimate cure for the violence and wickedness that surrounds us." Jim Daly
pbharvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2017, 08:31 PM #28
don't drop Aboma on me

don't drop Aboma on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbharvey View Post
I'm just curious at what dollar figure of gross family income you start finding people unsuitable as neighbors?
How about Section 8 housing?
Old June 30th, 2017, 08:58 PM #29
These are not your droids

These are not your droids

North of 108 and west of 29, there is an county ordinance that you walk around with your nose in the air and talk down to those who make less than $250,000.

Also, the "I love Goodwill" on your Lexus is a requirement.
"More importantly, where a state permits individuals to openly carry firearms, the exercise of this right, without more, cannot justify an investigatory detention. Permitting such a justification would eviscerate Fourth Amendment protections for lawfully armed individuals in those states."

http://www.ca4.uscourts.gov/opinions...d/115084.p.pdf
danb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2017, 09:13 PM #30
boundlessdyad

boundlessdyad

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbharvey View Post
LMAO
boundlessdyad is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Maryland Regional Discussions > Central Maryland