• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Im not talking AR vs AK or anything, or S&W vs BCM, i mean accessories, optics, goodies that make your life easier, better in a shtf scenario. How would you outfit your weapon? Without really taking money into account, kind of like a fantasy weapon? Would you put stuff in your grip, in your stock if you weapon allows for storage? Please keep away from a comparison argument, this is just for fun, to kill time, and compare ideas.

Im still deciding, and may change my answer but id probaby go with a 14.5" AR M4 profile. Yes M4 because i would have an m203 on there. Im not familiar with comps, but whatever one is closest to an a2 that will accept a suppressor. I dont know crap about suppressors but that new surefire thats short looks nice. KAC drop in rails, i choose drop ins just incase i need to get them off for some reason, i can without tools, and quickly. On the rails a KAC vert grip, surefire light, my g2x is great, peq 15. The standard fsb is perfect. As for optics....im torn between my eotech 553 and an aimpoint. I think im going to stay with eotech for now because it like the eotech more and it ises the same batteries as my light. However the life of an aimpoint is a major plus and who knows when and where i could find more batteries. Id probably swap my modstock for an emod just because it can carry more stuff. Id put extra springs and parts in the trap door. Batteries in the side compartments. Boresnake in the moe grip grip. Im trying to figure out how to put extra firing pins in the verticle grip. I would also get the eotech 4x magnifer in a fts quick release larue mount. The magpul asap, use a little electical tape to quiet the noise down, ms2 sling. Id probably stick with the magpul rear sight since its small and you can keep it on the smaller ap when folded.

I think that will make a relieable, accurate rifle thats small enough to carry for long periods of time. Shouldnt be in the way when climbing, crawling, running etc. Able to fit any mission/issue i could run into. I have NV so yes the IR laser and optic NV is functional. A fixed stock would carry more and i carry clp in mine but i havent figured out a place to put it on my m4.

06MegaCTD

Mar 16, 2009
    Hanover
    i would say a M4gery thats pretty light, with an optic that you don't have to worry about going dead for a long freakin time "aimpoint" micro, flashlight on it, back up sights. sling mounts. Basically my bushy that i put together lol, its my shtf rifle that i can do anything with.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    My Colt.

Outfitted with CTR Stock, Magpul shorty grip, 15 P-mags, BCM Gunfighter charging handle, Troy BUIS, Troy Sling, and topped with a Acog TA-33. This is how it sits now.

Pocket some CLP, break down cleaning rod, and my spare BCM BCG and I'd be happy.

I'd add a light to it actually.

All the other guns in my collections are toys that arent to their final level yet.

If the M1A wasnt so heavy, ammo wasnt so heavy, and didnt suffer from a lack of mall ninja coolness then maybe that would be my go to.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    i would say a M4gery thats pretty light, with an optic that you don't have to worry about going dead for a long freakin time "aimpoint" micro, flashlight on it, back up sights. sling mounts. Basically my bushy that i put together lol, its my shtf rifle that i can do anything with.

So more along a kiss rifle? Just simple, long lasting optic and thats it? Not bad. I thought about that as a quick run out kinda weapon but still simple is good

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I don't have a real answer, but I'll be reading along. These responses could be interesting.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    I like, i like. Not sure of difference between 2 mentioned colts but still good list.

If my Colt.

Outfitted with CTR Stock, Magpul shorty grip, 15 P-mags, BCM Gunfighter charging handle, Troy BUIS, Troy Sling, and topped with a Acog TA-33. This is how it sits now.

Pocket some CLP, break down cleaning rod, and my spare BCM BCG and I'd be happy.

I'd add a light to it actually.

All the other guns in my collections are toys that arent to their final level yet.

If the M1A wasnt so heavy, ammo wasnt so heavy, and didnt suffer from a lack of mall ninja coolness then maybe that would be my go to.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    ar7.jpg

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I like, i like. Not sure of difference between 2 mentioned colts but still good list.

The 6940 has the rail system already and the upper is machined into the rail system. It doesnt take standard AR barrels and you need a different wrench to install them.

The 6920 is standard...so I'd add rails and the likelyhood of other rifles parts fitting it would be better. Plus I could get a longer rail section as the rails on the 6940 are short.

All minor issues...both are fine weapons.

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    "The more parts it has, the more things will break." ~ My father, a professional truck and auto mechanic.

The Three Universal Laws, aka Finagle's Laws (via Larry Niven):

1. Nothing is as simple as it seems to be, or as easy as it looks.
    2. Everything takes longer than you think it will, and costs more.
    3. If it can go wrong, it will, at the worst possible time.

NB: Law 3 is not Murphy's Law. Murphy's Law states that if there is more than one way to do something and one of them will result in disaster, someone will do it that way.

5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    I'm going with an AR:

- Noveske 12.5" CHF barrel (or BCM...but I'm a Noveske whore). A 12.5" is a good compromise length for a carbine gas system, and it's good for your bug-out vehicle.

- I'll have a suppressor for a couple of reasons:
    1) diminished signature and
    2) Zombies are attracted to the sound of gunfire (did I just digress this thread?). Ops Inc 15th or a Surefire FA556AR.

Okay, forget I mentioned Zombies and let's just stick with diminished signature. For that, a mini can will be fine (AAC or Surefire).

Optic would be an ACOG 4x with a BAC reticle. I'm used to this optic and it gives you a both eyes open CQB capability and compensating reticle for longer shots. It's no Aimpoint T-1 for close in work, but at least it does not require a magnifier for distance work, or batteries. Or what the heck. Maybe I'll get both (ACOG and T-1) with Larue QD mounts and just carry a pouch.

EMOD stock and a surefire X300 on the rail.

I'm done.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    Quality, well tested 11.5" AR15, w/ QD suppressor, 3x ACOG in quality QD mount, ambi controls, white light & 2 point sling.

Suppressed 9mm pistol.

Suppressed 22 pistol.

Reasons ?

The 11.5 is good to 100 + accuracy wise, end of days type shit you are defensive, not offensive, a smaller lighter gun is more likely to be carried more, so you will have it when you need it. The ACOG will survive almost anything, no battery to die or electronics to be scrambled by an EMP, the 3 x with the BAC is very fast close up, and 3 x is plenty for 100 yards. The suppressor reason doesn't change from right now, guns are loud, ears are sensitive. You can hunt w/o attracting attention and if you have to use it defensively it will help you keep you position hidden.

The pistols are just common sense. Carry a quality back up ( the 9mm ) and a 22 is prefect for small game. The suppressors are for the same reasons as the rifles.

5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    Quality, well tested 11.5" AR15, w/ QD suppressor, 3x ACOG in quality QD mount, ambi controls, white light & 2 point sling.

Damn, JeepDriver. All you did was take 1" off the barrel and 1x off the ACOG. Other than that, great minds think alike.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    I do agree with what can go wrong will go wrong. However when it is working, your good to go, especially at night. I think a majority of my movement will be at night anyway. I also think a light is important. The magnifer will allow me to do what you acog guys can. Except for an emp, then yes im screwed, but thats what back ups are for. If possible id carry an acog on the side but backup gear is a whole other story.

The acog is a great option, but an red dot has its benefits as well.

You all wouldnt carry boresnakes, tools, parts,etc?

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    Damn, JeepDriver. All you did was take 1" off the barrel and 1x off the ACOG. Other than that, great minds think alike.

Just gotta go with what I know ! ;)

standard.jpg

You all wouldnt carry boresnakes, tools, parts,etc?

Most definitely. I have a small kit with every small part in my rifle and pistol in my bag. I can pretty much repair any problem with my primary and secondary firearms from that kit. You can get a GI cleaning kit that is in a small case designed to fit in the trap door of an A2 stock. There are cooler more high speed kits out there, but the GI ones will do.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    SHTF weapon...

Romanian AES-10B (RPK)
    75 round drum magazines
    1PN34 Passive Night Vision Scope

Attachments

• DSCN0722.jpg
      DSCN0722.jpg
      78.8 KB · Views: 1,135

Screwtop.243

Ouch...that thing kicks
    Jul 7, 2011
    People's republic of MD
    I can't blame you for going with the AR-15. It is definitely one of the ones I would consider. I tend to think of SHTF weapons in terms of what I could use to the most benefit before "Getting out of Dodge" (as John Wesley Rawles puts it). That said, one of my major considerations is over-penetration, and I don't want to uncork something that's going to kill 5 of my neighbors in the process if I'm trying to neutralize a threat from the golden hoarde.

I'm ready to deploy my CAR-A4 and my M70B1 at a moments notice, but I think if I'm sticking around, I'll grab my Remington 31L 20 ga. pump. to keep the zombies at bay until things get really wacky.

If I decide to get out of dodge, I'll grab the RRA and/or the Yugo and split.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    It doesnt have to be an ar/ak. If you want to use a daisy bb gun, by all means, its what you want.

This is cool, as long as we keep it friendly and fun. Getting some very good answers.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I am not sure a good, carbine length bolt gun wouldnt be the better overall SHTF rifle if you only get one.

Semis are good in many ways and if engaging targets fine but if you are foraging and running a good bolt gun offers reliability, accuracy, durability. In a light to carry caliber would be best.

Not sure I wouldnt actually grab one of my 5.56 AKs but Ruger sells their Gunsite "Scout" as the "If you only have one gun". I bought it on a whim, may replace it with a Savage scout in 7.62*39

IMG_1433.JPG

Strangely thinking about my guns my Remington 7615P might be my best choice, its a pump so it should be durable, its short, it takes AR mags and uses 5.56/.223 ammo. And its accurate as hell. Downside is its a pain to take down and clean. Shame Remington quit making them, just not a real market. I was actually hoping to pick up a second one.

remington_7615_police.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom