• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    In a previous thread, I posted that I picked up a 300 Blackout upper and said that I would post results when I had them.

I went to Hap Baker yesterday, and put 80 rounds down range to test the new upper. I shot 20 rounds, then started recording velocities for the upper. I was shooting factory Remington 220gr subsonic ammo.

The gun was set up with a 16" CMMG 300 AAC Blackout upper with 51T suppressor quick attach, Rock River National Match trigger, Magpul PRS stock, American Defense base and U.S. Optics 1.8-10X scope.

blackout.jpg

My question was one of accuracy: is this upper a 1 MoA upper? The answer is "probably". In the end, I think the limiting factor was the factory ammo.

After shooting and measuring 30 rounds, the average speed was 1062fps, with a standard deviation of 44.1fps and an extreme spread of 186fps (1010 and 1196.) At the end of the 80 rounds, I could look at the speed and call how far off the shot would be. If the rounds were consistent, I would get 100 yard groups like this (yes, I'm aware it's only a 3 shot group):

300blackoutgroup1.jpg

However, it was tough getting a few rounds that were (nearly) the same speed, so most groups looked something like this:

300blackoutgroup2.jpg

If you look close, you can see the two top holes look as if the bullet went in a little canted; like the bullet didn't quite stabilize.

I'd bet with hand loading, I could get consistent 1" groups, if I do my part.

Last edited:

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    Thanks for the write up. That's pretty poor consistency from Remington. I wonder if it a sign of the newness of the production line. It looks though that the round itself if loaded properly could be as accurate as you want it to be.

I'm a bit surprised that your 16" barrel didn't go supersonic. They must have a super fast (pistol?) powder since the 9" barrels seem to have similar velocities.

Have you got any of the supersonic blackout to test?

Jimbob: I think this was just a test and he removed as many variables as possible to attian consisten results. Im sure under normal shooting he'll have that nice rifle suppressed.

-Jim

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    Oh, I forgot to ask: Was your paper supported from the rear? If not, the odd shaped holes could have been from the lower velocity of the rounds tearing more than punching through the paper. I've had that happen to me upon shooting sub-sonic rounds.

-Jim

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    What is the advantage of blackout without a suppressor

It can push a 123gr bullet 2150fps 2300fps to hunt and, in the same barrel, push a subsonic 220gr 1050, that will still be traveling 950fps at 300 yards, retains more energy than a 45ACP at point blank range.

As for why I was shooting subsonic rounds without a can, the BATFE says I can't have it for ~three months. (I have purchased, but cannot yet receive, an AAC 762SD)

Last edited:

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Thanks for the write up. That's pretty poor consistency from Remington. I wonder if it a sign of the newness of the production line. It looks though that the round itself if loaded properly could be as accurate as you want it to be.

I'm a bit surprised that your 16" barrel didn't go supersonic. They must have a super fast (pistol?) powder since the 9" barrels seem to have similar velocities.

Jimbob: I think this was just a test and he removed as many variables as possible to attian consisten results. Im sure under normal shooting he'll have that nice rifle suppressed.

-Jim

The factory ammo was designed around the 16" barrel. The upper has an interesting construction; the gas block looks like a pistol gas system. It's set far back in the upper. Yeah, for the price of the ammo, I was a little surprised at how poor the performance was, as well.

I didn't have any of the supersonic ammo to test. My interest is in the subsonic longer range possibilities. (I'm waiting on a can...)

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Thanks in was more curious since it seems like a neat caliber with a lot. Of potential

-Jim

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Ben what is your opinion of the CMMG upper and what did it cost you? I may go this route instead of building my own if you get good results from yours.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Ben what is your opinion of the CMMG upper and what did it cost you? I may go this route instead of building my own if you get good results from yours.

It was $659, free-floated, and is surprisingly well-made (it didn't come with the suppressor adapter; that was extra.) They also make one without rails that is ~$80 less. It's got a pistol length gas system, so can easily be cut down, if desired later.

I was originally going to build my own with a Noveske barrel, upper, and lower, but for the cost, I thought I'd try a cheaper alternative, first, to see what I think of the caliber.

The 220gr recoil is unusual; it's more of a light "push" than recoil. You can easily stay on target, similar to a .22LR.

Last edited:

rsilvers

Dec 24, 2010
    123 grain bullets can go about 2300 fps from a 16 inch barrel.

The velocity spread is due to the nature of loading subsonic rifle ammo that will cycle a 300 AAC BLACKOUT AR, not due to manufacturing.

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    123 grain bullets can go about 2300 fps from a 16 inch barrel.

The velocity spread is due to the nature of loading subsonic rifle ammo that will cycle a 300 AAC BLACKOUT AR, not due to manufacturing.

Care to elaborate? Are you implying that hand loading will not solve the velocity problems?

-Jim

BenL

John Galt Speaking.

I thought of this, as well. That being said, I have yet to shoot factory ammo that wasn't improved on when hand loading specifically for the rifle. I picked up some Forester dies; as soon as I find some AA1680, I'm going to reload some and see how it goes.

rsilvers

Dec 24, 2010
    Yes. I pulled 20 bullets from the Rem ammo and all charges were +- 0.1 grains. Or maybe it was +- 0.2 for 1 or 2 rounds. I don't have my notes. In any case, it was a good result. The velocity spread can be improved with faster powder, such as N110, but the the guns would need larger gas ports and cease to be able to shoot full power ammo. We (I worked on it) decided functional reliability was most important and the accuracy with subsonic was still 2 to 3 times better than the MP5-SD we see as the competition. So to further improve accuracy at the expense of reliability did not seem like a good idea.

If you mix subsonic and full power ammo, the cases eject to about the same spot - which is great. Even different brands of 223 vs 5.56mm don't do that.

I plan to develop dedicated subsonic bolt action ammo which should have less velocity spread.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    rsilvers- Do you have a lot of experience with this round? If so, would a 10" barrel deliver (pretty much) the same accuracy as the 16"?

ETA: OK, I see you're the project lead. Awesome. You're the guy to ask.

Last edited:

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I just got a 300 blackout barrel from CMMG. I 'm having it cut down to 9", threaded 1/2x28tpi. Dedicated for subsonics and planning to mount a 9mm can ( 1.375") under the handguards.

BTW... any issues with keyholing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom