• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Phoenix_55

Apr 19, 2011
    Virginia
    You really need impartial shooters to make it as even as possible. Even quality milsurp ammo for an AR is far to limiting a factor here. Shooting 2-3 moa ammo out of a 1 moa rifle is basically leveling the playing field for the AK. You need good ammo if you wanna test what the rifles are capable of. Would you race two turbo cars on 87 octane if they needed 93 to make full power?

As I have stated several times now, we will shoot SEVERAL types of ammo. We both have Silver Bear and will acquire some match ammo for each as well. If anybody can lend some milsurp for the AK that is equivalent or close to M855 that would help.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I hate to agree with you... But my Colt AR will smoke any AK in the accuracy department ( flame suit on)

Is there a torture test involved? I doubt any good AR would not pass a torture test with any amount of ammo we could afford to use.

As I have stated several times now, we will shoot SEVERAL types of ammo. We both have Silver Bear and will acquire some match ammo for each as well. If anybody can lend some milsurp for the AK that is equivalent or close to M855 that would help.

An AR in 7.62X39 will show it's true colors in a short time. ARs do not like the dirty rusky ammo.

Phoenix_55

Apr 19, 2011
    Virginia
    I'd have no problem donating 100 rounds of match quality loads for the AR. Not sure if I'm comfortable with someone else shooting my reloads though because of liability issues.

Couldn't agree more with you on that. I have no qualms letting fellow MD shooters use my firearm, or if someone has an AR better suited for the test.

As far as torture test goes, I'll pass on that. Not to throw in the towel but I just finished this build and have no inclinations to putting her through hell. Also, I think both rifles would be at it far longer than anyone would be willing to stick around for.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Shooters at MG should post pictures their best groups . I shoot a lot of Wolf through my AR15s. Accuracy is not bad at all. Tennis ball at 100 yards is easy prey.

Then we'll do AR-10 vs M1A vs PSL54 vs G3 vs FAL-FN vs CETME vs Saiga

Followed by Savage 110 vs Remington 700 or Mosin vs Mauser

This should be a fun summer.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Ok after a little brainstorming I think this is what we need. One very good experienced shooter and one average shooter to shoot each platform. The experience guy will show what each rifle is capable of and the average shooter will show how easy each is to shoot accurately. What do you think?

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    Ok after a little brainstorming I think this is what we need. One very good experienced shooter and one average shooter to shoot each platform. The experience guy will show what each rifle is capable of and the average shooter will show how easy each is to shoot accurately. What do you think?

who will the experienced shooter be?

here is an idea...lets remove as much of the human factor as possible here...who has a mechanical bench rest?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Shooters at MG should post pictures their best groups . I shoot a lot of Wolf through my AR15s. Accuracy is not bad at all. Tennis ball at 100 yards is easy prey.

Then we'll do AR-10 vs M1A vs PSL54 vs G3 vs FAL-FN vs CETME vs Saiga

Followed by Savage 110 vs Remington 700 or Mosin vs Mauser

This should be a fun summer.

I do believe you're onto something.

How about the idea of pitting the US rifles against the Ruskie rifles?

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    who will the experienced shooter be?

here is an idea...lets remove as much of the human factor as possible here...who has a mechanical bench rest?

That might be the best answer. You could do the mechanical rest and then have both of your results. That would be a great cross section.

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    That might be the best answer.

thats what i am thinking...totally bench both rifles, i will try to get my hands on some lapua 7.62 for the match ammo accuracy factor...and just try to pull the best possible intrinsic accuracy out of both platforms.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    thats what i am thinking...totally bench both rifles, i will try to get my hands on some lapua 7.62 for the match ammo accuracy factor...and just try to pull the best possible intrinsic accuracy out of both platforms.

Should we do some type of rapid fire test also?

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    Should we do some type of rapid fire test also?

hard to do @ 1 round per second...we could break the rule, though...for science of course :innocent0

for a rapid fire test i think 50 yard man sized targets would be best...(rapid being 2 or more shots per second)...each loaded with 15 rounds, 3 points for head shots, 2 for center mass, 1 for hits anywhere else and obviously none for misses.

edit: i can tell you this though...having shot ar-15s before, the recoil of my sgl21 is just as tame as any AR that i have shot

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    hard to do @ 1 round per second...we could break the rule, though...for science of course :innocent0

for a rapid fire test i think 50 yard man sized targets would be best...(rapid being 2 or more shots per second)...each loaded with 15 rounds, 3 points for head shots, 2 for center mass, 1 for hits anywhere else and obviously none for misses.

Maybe not scientific but it should be pretty fun. I say go for it.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I do believe you're onto something.

How about the idea of pitting the US rifles against the Ruskie rifles?

I did that ... US wins.. LOL:lol2:

Attachments

• EastvsWest.jpg
      EastvsWest.jpg
      77.3 KB · Views: 105

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120