• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bojaydk

Oct 2, 2011
    Crownsville, MD
    I live in a suburb with houses on all sides within 20 yards or so and have a small back yard. Is it legal to shoot squirrels (because they are tasty) with a B.B. or pellet gun from your back porch? The DNR website would suggest that it is legal, as long as you are a licensed hunter and within season. There is a law about a minimum distance from a dwelling, but that is without the permission of the owner (me).

Thoughts?

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Don't know about your neck of the woods, but here in MoCo, discharging even a pellet gun is considered no different than using a .22 - so, naughty, here.

Our tactic is to feed them so much that they die on the spot of little squirrel heart attacks, or become so fat and slow that the foxes and hawks get them like eating at a buffet.

plinkerton

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2012
    Abingdon
    Don't know about your neck of the woods, but here in MoCo, discharging even a pellet gun is considered no different than using a .22 - so, naughty, here.

Our tactic is to feed them so much that they die on the spot of little squirrel heart attacks, or become so fat and slow that the foxes and hawks get them like eating at a buffet.

Same in Baltimore County Metro area, I think they call it.

What do you feed them to fatten them up?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    You need to learn your local ordinances in relation to "discharges"

You may have the option to live trap them. :innocent0

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    What do you feed them to fatten them up?

This one reached his prosperous-looking proportions by raiding the sunflower seeds we put out for the songbirds. He's amazingly agile considering his girth.

Attachments

• fat_squirrel.jpg
      fat_squirrel.jpg
      68.2 KB · Views: 938

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    This one reached his prosperous-looking proportions by raiding the sunflower seeds we put out for the songbirds. He's amazingly agile considering his girth.

We have a similar looking tribe of them that do the same thing. Sometimes one of them will come up to the patio door and stare in at us while the others watch.

"I feared for my life!" :innocent0

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    We also have his crazy cousin, the Squirrel Of Doom. Caught him recently chowing down on yet another bird. This squirrel ain't right.

Attachments

• squirrel_of_doom.jpg
      squirrel_of_doom.jpg
      121.8 KB · Views: 912

melikou1

Aug 31, 2017
    The 'Dena, MD
    Well, looks like you're in AA County, so here's the code:

§ 9-1-602. Bows and arrows, BB guns, slingshots, and the like.
    (a) Definition. In this section, "weapon" means a bow and arrow, BB gun, slingshot, or other device designed to discharge a pellet or other object by force of a spring, elastic band, gas cylinder, air cylinder, or gas or air cartridge.
    (b) Prohibitions. A person may not sell, give away, lend, or otherwise transfer a weapon to a minor. A person may not discharge or use a weapon on private property without the express permission of the owner or other person entitled to possession of the property. A person may not discharge or use a weapon except in a manner that will prevent the discharged pellet or object from traversing grounds or space outside the limits of the property on which the weapon is discharged or used. A person may not discharge a weapon within 100 yards of a structure or camp occupied by human beings or commonly used by human beings unless the discharge is at a bona fide commercial indoor or outdoor target range under the supervision of an adult or there is in use a safe and reasonable backstop of sufficient size and composition to ensure that the projectile or arrow cannot pass through the target or backstop.
    (c) Construction of section. This section may not be construed to make lawful anything otherwise prohibited by law.
    (d) Sanctions for violation. A person who violates any provision of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to a fine not exceeding $500 or imprisonment not exceeding 60 days or both.
    (1985 Code, Art. 11, § 4-102)

Last edited:

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    If you tie some snares - loose fitting nooses - in a 2-3' length of twine or picture hanging wire then tie the end of the twine to a stick and lean the stick against a tree or fence, the squirrels will run up the stick and when they feel the noose tighten around their neck they will try to jump to the tree or fence for safety. The twine tied to the stick won't be long enough for them to reach the tree or fence so they will hang themselves. Normally it breaks their neck and they die instantly. Quietly too.

F4P7Z1WIEB83OI4.LARGE.jpg

fscwi

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2012
    I remember an old guy in our neighborhood when I was growing up. He used a hav a heart trap to catch them, then dropped it in a tub of water to drown them.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I remember an old guy in our neighborhood when I was growing up. He used a hav a heart trap to catch them, then dropped it in a tub of water to drown them.

I did that once. It’s not humane. Really.

If your going to take them out, let it be quick.

I had a squirrel problem years ago, my wife was feeding them and we became absolutely overrun. Last straw was when one of them (or more) ate the wiring harness in my F350.

I started shooting them with my pellet gun, got 12 or so and tired of that. Started trapping and relocating them afterwards... (first one I tried to drown held on to life forever...). :sad20:

If your worried about neighbors seeing you.. just set up indoors in the shadows, engage them from within via a open window or door.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    I live in a suburb with houses on all sides within 20 yards or so and have a small back yard. Is it legal to shoot squirrels (because they are tasty) with a B.B. or pellet gun from your back porch? The DNR website would suggest that it is legal, as long as you are a licensed hunter and within season. There is a law about a minimum distance from a dwelling, but that is without the permission of the owner (me).

Thoughts?

The minimum distance section is usually applied to your neighbors dwellings if they're occupied as well. If you have their permission as well then you are gtg. Otherwise, and I am in no way advocating for breaking the law, in theory a good scoped pellet gun would make a nice candidate for the 3s rule.

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    A person may not discharge or use a weapon except in a manner that will prevent the discharged pellet or object from traversing grounds or space outside the limits of the property on which the weapon is discharged or used. A person may not discharge a weapon within 100 yards of a structure or camp occupied by human beings or commonly used by human beings unless the discharge is at a bona fide commercial indoor or outdoor target range under the supervision of an adult or there is in use a safe and reasonable backstop of sufficient size and composition to ensure that the projectile or arrow cannot pass through the target or backstop.
    (

No brainer... answer is not just no but **** NO!

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    To add, unless it is spring powdered B.B. gun, if air powered, that is hunting and air guns are treeated as rifles per DNR regulations. Which makes it 150yds to any occupier dwellings for hunting. Now if it is protecting property (and if a game warden comes knocking, you better be able to convince him/her and possibly a judge it was) the refs may be a bit different. IIRC though, you still need to follow all local ordinances and state regulations in regards to discharge of a weapon. It just means things like licenses and seasons don’t mean a thing.

I know 3 of my 4 neighbors are okay with whacking foxes or coons (or coyotes) (hell, 2 of them have done it with a 20ga or crossbow with a shoot, shovel and shut-up policy) I am pretty sure 4th Neighbor would be as well, but I don’t actually know that for absolutely positive certain. No one else is within 150yds of me.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    Well, looks like your in AA County, so here's the code:

§ 9-1-602. Bows and arrows, BB guns, slingshots, and the like.
    (a) Definition. In this section, "weapon" means a bow and arrow, BB gun, slingshot, or other device designed to discharge a pellet or other object by force of a spring, elastic band, gas cylinder, air cylinder, or gas or air cartridge.
    (b) Prohibitions. A person may not sell, give away, lend, or otherwise transfer a weapon to a minor. A person may not discharge or use a weapon on private property without the express permission of the owner or other person entitled to possession of the property. A person may not discharge or use a weapon except in a manner that will prevent the discharged pellet or object from traversing grounds or space outside the limits of the property on which the weapon is discharged or used. A person may not discharge a weapon within 100 yards of a structure or camp occupied by human beings or commonly used by human beings unless the discharge is at a bona fide commercial indoor or outdoor target range under the supervision of an adult or there is in use a safe and reasonable backstop of sufficient size and composition to ensure that the projectile or arrow cannot pass through the target or backstop.
    (c) Construction of section. This section may not be construed to make lawful anything otherwise prohibited by law.
    (d) Sanctions for violation. A person who violates any provision of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to a fine not exceeding $500 or imprisonment not exceeding 60 days or both.
    (1985 Code, Art. 11, § 4-102)

Just build a suitable backstop, place feed in front of the backstop, hunt only the squirrels in front of the backstop. Easy-peasy and within the law.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom