• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SlowShooter

SeaWaves not TigerStripes
    Dec 28, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    I just got a Chassepot needle rifle. After cleaning it up , fabricating missing parts, and making a few test paper ammo for it, shooting the old gun the first time was so enjoyable and delightful, I think I must share the experience with everyone here.

I did not expect a lot from this Chassepot, but I was lucky to buy this one from the Gunbroker. All metal parts are matched (barrel, receiver, bolt, cleaning rod). All edges are sharp. All wood markings/cartouches are deep and clear. The whole rifle looks unissued (just cover with rust where the white metal were exposed to air), but for some reasons, the stock carries a different number even though it fit very nicely to the metal parts with no indication for being used elsewhere before.

The bore is excellent for gun over 142 years old. The bolt is very clean and looks like only a few test shots ever fired with it. Unfortunately the tip of the needle is broken, but I am still happy to see it there (it helps me to fabricate the replacements).

Attachments

• Chassepot Right side.jpg
      Chassepot Right side.jpg
      66.1 KB · Views: 2,187
    • Chassepot Left side.jpg
      Chassepot Left side.jpg
      75.9 KB · Views: 2,352

SlowShooter

Dec 28, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    A few more detail pictures of the stock.

Attachments

• Butt cartouche 3.jpg
      Butt cartouche 3.jpg
      52 KB · Views: 2,034
    • Butt cartouches 2.jpg
      Butt cartouches 2.jpg
      60.1 KB · Views: 2,062
    • Butt cartouches.jpg
      Butt cartouches.jpg
      61.1 KB · Views: 2,127
    • VALERY MARKING.jpg
      VALERY MARKING.jpg
      39.9 KB · Views: 2,051

SlowShooter

Dec 28, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    Closer look at the bolt.

Attachments

• Bolt group.jpg
      Bolt group.jpg
      76.2 KB · Views: 2,183
    • Making needle.jpg
      Making needle.jpg
      58.9 KB · Views: 2,098
    • Making orbirator.jpg
      Making orbirator.jpg
      73.9 KB · Views: 2,117
    • P1140938.jpg
      P1140938.jpg
      46.6 KB · Views: 2,114
    • P1140940.jpg
      P1140940.jpg
      46.6 KB · Views: 2,336
    • P1140942.jpg
      P1140942.jpg
      45.5 KB · Views: 2,155

SlowShooter

Dec 28, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    My test ammo. 5 went off, 3 duds (1 with toy cap ignited but fail to go bang, 2 just fail).

Attachments

• 4 rounds.jpg
      4 rounds.jpg
      33.8 KB · Views: 2,051
    • 8 rounds.jpg
      8 rounds.jpg
      106.3 KB · Views: 2,107
    • Loading tools.jpg
      Loading tools.jpg
      69.3 KB · Views: 2,152
    • Making ammo 2.jpg
      Making ammo 2.jpg
      51.1 KB · Views: 2,082
    • Making ammo.jpg
      Making ammo.jpg
      50.4 KB · Views: 2,143

SlowShooter

Dec 28, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    I don't know what the french used in the past, but currently, percussion cap is the only thing that could ignite the cartridge with a needle strike. Inverted cap ...cap powder must be compressed really hard and quickly between 2 metal surfaces to be sparked / ignited. I made my needle's tip with flat head screw driver shape to increase contact surface.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    ...I'm curious, why is the percussion cap inverted?

The Chassepot was developed as an improvement on the Dreyse Needle Gun, and to appreciate the Chassepot you should look at the Dreyse.

Dreyse put the percussion cap on the base of the bullet, facing backwards. The long needle had to penetrate through the powder charge to reach the cap. Why face it backwards? So the needle could reach the priming compound. There's no need to crush the cap, just scratch the priming compound.

Reminds me of when I was a kid setting off toy caps by scratching them with a pin or a needle.

Anyway, the Dreyse needle ended up being inside the powder charge when it ignited, subjecting it to a lot of stress. The Chassepot moves the cap to the rear, which protected the needles, allowing them to last longer. The Chassepot had a better gas seal, too. Looks like Slow Shooter has refurbished his gas seal with some sort of rubber tubing.

Anyway, go look at this thread from last September:

Mystery Rifle: Dreyse Needle Gun?

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?p=3995279#post3995279

Here's an illustration of the Dreyse ready to fire. Note the long needle is cocked, ready to pierce through the powder charge to reach the cap on the base of the olive-shaped bullet (which is held in a sabot).

The Chassepot is similar, but the needle is much shorter, because the cap is all the way at the rear of the papier-mache cartridge.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Another improvement in the Chassepot: the bolt handle turns 90 degrees from vertical to horizontal and locks positively. The Dreyse bolt sort of wedges closed, with the bolt handle sticking up like a sore thumb somewhere around one or two o'clock. You can see that clearly in the photos in the other thread.
    Here is the Dreyse with the bolt "locked". That's it, folks.

Remember, people back then were used to guns having big huge hammers sticking up in a similar location. That bolt handle sticking up didn't seem so odd, I'm sure.

SlowShooter

Dec 28, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    From my history book, needle gun was invented in Paris in 1822. That way.....before Dreyse rifle. The french army just waited until further improvement to the technology before buying it. In similar case, Russian stole the Concord design and then released their pirated copy version of the airplane to the world first.

SlowShooter

Dec 28, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    Another improvement in the Chassepot: the bolt handle turns 90 degrees from vertical to horizontal and locks positively. The Dreyse bolt sort of wedges closed, with the bolt handle sticking up like a sore thumb somewhere around one or two o'clock. You can see that clearly in the photos in the other thread.
    Here is the Dreyse with the bolt "locked". That's it, folks.

Remember, people back then were used to guns having big huge hammers sticking up in a similar location. That bolt handle sticking up didn't seem so odd, I'm sure.

Actually it is easier to operate the bolt in that positon. It just looks odd to us now a days.
    Is it your gun?

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Actually it is easier to operate the bolt in that positon. It just looks odd to us now a days.
    Is it your gun?

No, it's Milsurp Dan's. Do you have a Dreyse? Sounds like you're familiar with it.

Here is his thread:
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?p=3995279#post3995279

I'm about to post 8 scanned pages on the Chassepot from the same out-of-print book.

By the way, the Dreyse was originally a muzzleloader, which used needle-ignition. That information may be in scans in the other thread, if not, I'll post it.

Anyway, I'm sure the French invented the Needle Gun in the 1820s just like the Russians invented the Concord in the 1920s.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Is it your gun?

The Dreyse mentioned is mine. Enjoyable write up Threeband, and thanks for using my rifle as your example :D.

Coincidently, I was just downstairs looking at and admiring it for the 6,000th time since I got it last August. Still haven't gotten the nerve to shoot it yet, or make the ammo. I think it's perfectly safe, I just don't want to damage such a rare rifle.

Slowshooter, very nice Chassepot. Hopefully I'll find one just as nice in the near future.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Le Fusil Chassepot

Attachments

• Chassepot 1.jpg
      Chassepot 1.jpg
      45.2 KB · Views: 1,399
    • Chassepot 2.jpg
      Chassepot 2.jpg
      71.3 KB · Views: 1,412
    • Chassepot 3.jpg
      Chassepot 3.jpg
      49.2 KB · Views: 1,423
    • Chassepot 4.jpg
      Chassepot 4.jpg
      80.9 KB · Views: 1,476
    • Chassepot 5.jpg
      Chassepot 5.jpg
      97.4 KB · Views: 1,415
    • Chassepot 6.jpg
      Chassepot 6.jpg
      101 KB · Views: 1,443
    • Chassepot 7.jpg
      Chassepot 7.jpg
      59 KB · Views: 1,429
    • Chassepot 8.jpg
      Chassepot 8.jpg
      71.8 KB · Views: 1,385

Sharp

Feb 21, 2015
    Calvert
    Very curious to hear more about your ammunition formulas and how they perform. I think the needle rifles are really interesting step in small arms history, but it seemed impractical to remanufacture the odd paper cartridges they were designed to use.

SlowShooter

Dec 28, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    The Dreyse mentioned is mine. Enjoyable write up Threeband, and thanks for using my rifle as your example :D.

Coincidently, I was just downstairs looking at and admiring it for the 6,000th time since I got it last August. Still haven't gotten the nerve to shoot it yet, or make the ammo. I think it's perfectly safe, I just don't want to damage such a rare rifle.

Slowshooter, very nice Chassepot. Hopefully I'll find one just as nice in the near future.

I love your Dreyse. I will get one in the near future when I have the $. One more gun for my bucket lis.t

SlowShooter

Dec 28, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    The following is what i just copy from wiki:

Pauly needle gun[edit]

The first experimental needle gun was designed by Jean Samuel Pauly, a Swiss gunsmith.
    In Paris in 1808, in association with French gunsmith François Prélat, Pauly created the first fully self-contained cartridges:[1] the cartridges incorporated a copper base with integrated mercury fulminate primer powder (the major innovation of Pauly), a round bullet and either brass or paper casing.[2][3] The cartridge was loaded through the breech and fired with a needle. The needle-activated central-fire breech-loading gun became a major feature of firearms thereafter.[4] The corresponding firearm was also developed by Pauly.[1] Pauly made an improved version which was protected by a patent on 29 September 1812.[1] The cartridge was further improved by the French gunsmith Casimir Lefaucheux in 1836.
    In 1809 Pauly employed the German Johann Nicolaus von Dreyse, who later invented the famous Dreyse rifle.

This may not be true! Wiki is full of s...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom